Chinese Visa

jshli

When applying for a Chinese Visa, who do I list as family members? It is only myself and my husband traveling and our children no longer live with us.

Only listing your spouse is fine.

When applying for a Chinese visa you only list other immediate family members if they are travelling with you on the same initial trip.

Edited by Philob

I disagree. We thought the same way until we watched the YouTube video from a link on our visa service's web site. On that they show listing parents - with the occupation of "deceased". I REALLY don't think they will be traveling with the visa applicant.

I strongly suggest looking for videos on YouTube that walk one through the Chinese visa application. There are several and we found watching one quite helpful.

I disagree. We thought the same way until we watched the YouTube video from a link on our visa service's web site. On that they show listing parents - with the occupation of "deceased". I REALLY don't think they will be traveling with the visa applicant.

I strongly suggest looking for videos on YouTube that walk one through the Chinese visa application. There are several and we found watching one quite helpful.

Before getting our ten-year visas, we only listed each other plus Kid. Never listed my parents or MIL, even when she was traveling with us. MIL carries a Chinese passport. Nor my brother and his family when they traveled to China with us in 2010.

Either way is fine.

I just went back to our visa application for 2014 and we did get our Chinese visa and on my application I just listed my wife and on my wife's application we just listed me and we got the visa. We did the same thing in 2012 too.

Either way is fine.

Keith

We used CVSC (China Visa Service Center) both times we've needed visas for China.

While apparently some have had luck filling out the visa application differently than the videos we've watched. However, we feel that we're paying the visa service for their experience and expertise. We're going to follow their advice and not risk delays or potential denial. I was surprised at how uneasy I felt the entire time our passports were gone. A friend didn't have her Chinese visa application paperwork 'just right'. It took extra time and money having to FedEx back and forth.

Your visa. Your vacation. Your call.

We used CVSC (China Visa Service Center) both times we've needed visas for China.

While apparently some have had luck filling out the visa application differently than the videos we've watched. However, we feel that we're paying the visa service for their experience and expertise. We're going to follow their advice and not risk delays or potential denial. I was surprised at how uneasy I felt the entire time our passports were gone. A friend didn't have her Chinese visa application paperwork 'just right'. It took extra time and money having to FedEx back and forth.

Your visa. Your vacation. Your call.

Agree..we used the same company and it couldn't have been easier. They were very helpful in getting our China visa this past March and the new 10 year visa makes it easy to return. The only hitch is if your passport expires (and mine does) I will need to take my old passport with me that has my 10 year visa in it.

How far in advance could you apply for the visa ??

If you are using a visa service, add a week or two for mailing to/from.

From the SF Consulate website:

"6. How long before my planned trip should I apply for a visa?

Answer: We suggest you submit your visa application a month before your planned trip to China. If you apply for the visa too early, the visa may have expired when you need to use it. If you apply for the visa too late, you may not have enough time to get the visa.

7. How long does it take to get a visa after my application?

Answer: If you have submitted all documents required, it normally takes 4 business days (it varies case by case). If you have a special or emergency situation, you may request express (2 or 3 business days) or rush service (within 24 hours) with an additional fee. Approval for such services may and may not be provided by the Chinese Consulates General.

Applicants should come to get the visas on time. Visas not taken away after 90 days from the day it should be taken away will be deemed abandoned."

If you are using a visa service, add a week or two for mailing to/from.

From the SF Consulate website:

"6. How long before my planned trip should I apply for a visa?

Answer: We suggest you submit your visa application a month before your planned trip to China. If you apply for the visa too early, the visa may have expired when you need to use it. If you apply for the visa too late, you may not have enough time to get the visa.

With the new 10 year visa for American citizens, this sentence is obsolete, but may be true for holders of other passports. The Europeans on our recent cruise had visas valid for only a few months.

With the new 10 year visa for American citizens, this sentence is obsolete, but may be true for holders of other passports. The Europeans on our recent cruise had visas valid for only a few months.
I agree. For this most recent trip we applied in January for a cruise in April (I had another cruise in between). Neither the visa service, Chicago consulate, nor the officials when we entered China had any problems because our 10-year visa had been issued more than a month before our first entry. Now, the person checking us in at the pier in HK was upset because the Chinese visa he noticed had been expired for almost 2 years. Once I pointed out our current visas (marked by the paperclip :rolleyes:) he was fine.

I'd suggest anyone with concerns about when to apply for their visa to check with a visa service. They deal with them day in and day out.