Question about Maui

dogdaygirl

We will be on Maui on a Thur. in October, (not sure that is important but thought I would throw it out there just in case), at Kahului. We will have an excursion in the morning but will be back at 2pm, and will be in port until 11pm. So I was wondering if there is any thing close to dock that would be interesting to see or do for the rest of the day? I did look at Google Maps (taught that by my go-to-Hawaii person - Astro Flyer LOL) and see that there are a lot of shopping places around, but that's not really what I'm looking for. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Unfortunately, I don't think there's anything of much interest within walking distance or even a reasonably priced taxi ride, but you could take a bus to S. Maui and spend some time at a beach. (Bus service is very limited though, so you'd need to plan well.)

Not sure if you've considered renting a car for the day and exploring on your own instead of doing the half day tour? It's easy to drive on Maui, very affordable and it would give you the flexibility to enjoy your whole day there without the limitations that you currently have with being back at the ship at 2 p.m.

It would be a shame to waste that time on Maui but docking in Kahului does make things more difficult. You have not mentioned where your morning excursion is. Is there a possibility that they will be driving by an area where they can drop you off so that you only have a one way taxi back to the ship that night? Just a thought. Cherie

p.s. Uber operates on Maui so you might be able to find better taxi rates with them. They are very popular here and I find their drivers incredibly reliable and friendly. Just another thought.

Edited by cccole

It would be a shame to waste that time on Maui but docking in Kahului does make things more difficult. You have not mentioned where your morning excursion is. Is there a possibility that they will be driving by an area where they can drop you off so that you only have a one way taxi back to the ship that night? Just a thought. Cherie

p.s. Uber operates on Maui so you might be able to find better taxi rates with them. They are very popular here and I find their drivers incredibly reliable and friendly. Just another thought.

Hi cccole, we will be doing the Iao Valley and Maui Tropical Plantation. I haven't check out where that is near yet, but will have to find out. Will the tour drivers from the ship let you get off anywhere you want?

Unfortunately, I don't think there's anything of much interest within walking distance or even a reasonably priced taxi ride, but you could take a bus to S. Maui and spend some time at a beach. (Bus service is very limited though, so you'd need to plan well.)

Not sure if you've considered renting a car for the day and exploring on your own instead of doing the half day tour? It's easy to drive on Maui, very affordable and it would give you the flexibility to enjoy your whole day there without the limitations that you currently have with being back at the ship at 2 p.m.

Thanks for the reply and info Susan-M. Renting a car may be something we'll have to look into. Where would you do that on Maui?

Your morning excursion is not really too far from the ship. Look at Discount Hawaii Car Rental and see what you can find. I know they have a category for cruise ship passengers. Since you wanted to do a luau, if you rent a car like suggested, you could do the two places on your morning excursion AND go to a luau if you want. Ships excursions are often more expensive than private excursions and less flexible because of the number of passengers. Now that you have said what your morning excursion is I would definitely recommend renting a car. Soooooo easy on Maui, and they are so used to cruise ship passengers. All of the planning you do ahead is well worth it!!!!!!! Cherie

Thanks for the reply and info Susan-M. Renting a car may be something we'll have to look into. Where would you do that on Maui?

I agree with Susan-M and cccole who like others on the Hawaii board provide a lot of great info to consider. :)

I'ao Valley & Maui Tropical Plantation are easily accessed by rental car. I think parking is $5 at I'ao and the plantation is free to walk around & you can pay to take a tram to other parts of the plantation.

Having a rental car you could go to the Maui Ocean Center aquarium in Ma'alaea which is a good spot to cool off. Or you could drive to one of the many great beaches between Wailea & Makena. If you're considering the beach & let me know what types of activities you like to do then I could make a few suggestions.

Maui's public transportation system isn't a good option for a day in Maui however if you want to consider it here's a website for bus service:

http://www.co.maui.hi.us/index.aspx?NID=605

Edited by Astro Flyer

We rented a car then went to Iao Valley followed by Lahaina.

We went back to the ship for lunch, & quick nap (hungover from night before :-)) then went back to Lahaina for the Luau, which probably finished at about 9pm.

So we squeezed quite a bit in!

I don't know what you paid for your tour, but I'd suggest canceling it and going by rental car instead. You will see so much more of the island that way. Rentals are super cheap and easy, probably around $40 for a full day. We were on a different ship, but the shuttles from the airport 5 min away ran continuously from the pier, at least in the am. Check with them if you want to wait until the afternoon for pick up. We used Discount Hawaii as well. Just indicate you are a cruise ship passenger on the website.

A drive through Up Country to Haleakala is a gorgeous drive, and easy. You can go on to Lahaina in the afternoon for shopping, restaurants, and water tours that leave from the harbor there. There are very nice Luaus there in the evening if you want to do that before heading back to the ship. Or sit in the open air upper bar at Fleetwoods ( of Fleetwood Mac fame ) and watch the ocean sunset ceremony complete with the playing of bagpipes. Kaanapali Beach is a short drive from there if you want to fit in some beach time. A nice place for lunch as well, with bar/restaurants right on the sand (near Whalers Village shopping Center ).

Edited by punkincc

You don't say what you're looking for which makes it more difficult to make suggestions. If you want to go to Iao Valley etc just rent a car, it's pretty close. If you're adventurous take the scenic route to Lahaina on Hwy 340 (we did it once, my wife says never again):

Someone already suggested Haleakala or even just "upcountry". Then there's the Hana drive, and so on.

Good info for each island http://www.gohawaii.com/en/

Have fun:)

Edited by pspercy

Smart woman. We all make mistakes. Don't let driving highway 340 be one of them. Also, your rental car contract may forbid taking that route.

And to not end up like these Swedish tourists who miraculously survived a plunge over the cliff in February.

"Three women visiting from Sweden survived after the car they were in rolled over the edge of the Kahekili Highway and plunged 80 feet down a cliff".

http://mauinow.com/2015/02/16/visitors-from-sweden-survive-after-car-plunges-80-feet-from-maui-cliff/

image.jpg.581cdf051ded842fe844825242a68838.jpg

Edited by Astro Flyer

Smart woman. We all make mistakes. Don't let driving highway 340 be one of them. Also, your rental car contract may forbid taking that route.

They might have at one time but after hearing such things I actually read the small print on the back and found nothing of the kind about that or the back of Haleakala.

One trip we almost HAD to take that route to get to the airport, a fatality accident south of Lahaina had the road closed for hours so 30/340 was then the only way out. Luckily the road reopened with an hour or so to spare:)

And to not end up like these Swedish tourists who miraculously survived a plunge over the cliff in February.

"Three women visiting from Sweden survived after the car they were in rolled over the edge of the Kahekili Highway and plunged 80 feet down a cliff".

http://mauinow.com/2015/02/16/visitors-from-sweden-survive-after-car-plunges-80-feet-from-maui-cliff/

Wow. I remember a couple of spots where the drop was hundreds of feet:eek:

If you are open to renting a car, then absolutely cancel the tour (which in my opinion, only a "stop" with my travels) You are see WAY more, and not waste your time, with a fixed tour schedule. Can easily include the entire tour- for a fraction of what you are paying- which pays for the car. :)

See if your library has Hawaii Revealed- Maui along with other Hawaii travel books. Can plan a far superior touring day.

They might have at one time but after hearing such things I actually read the small print on the back and found nothing of the kind about that or the back of Haleakala.

One trip we almost HAD to take that route to get to the airport, a fatality accident south of Lahaina had the road closed for hours so 30/340 was then the only way out. Luckily the road reopened with an hour or so to spare:)

When friends rent cars their contracts do not exclude either of those routes which at one time did exclude them. Some of the drive guides show that restriction but not in the contract. If there are problems around either route there may be a lengthy delay to get help & not sure if there's cell phone coverage in some isolated areas of Maui.

It's a good thing that Honoapi'ilani Hwy from West Maui to the airport opened because I've heard about the Kahekili Hwy northern route being restricted to locals only when Honoapi'ilani (30) is closed. To me that's understandable because of the poor road in the Kahakuloa area to prevent those unfamiliar with the road conditions from being harmed.

Closure of Honoapi'ilani "Highway" (a misnomer repeatedly used for a 2 lane road) can happen a couple of times per month due to accidents or brushfire. That's why I suggest to consider that situation when in the West Maui (Lahaina, Ka'anapali, Napili, Kapalua) area. Whether arriving by ship in either Kahului or Lahaina, if Honoapi'ilani is closed then touring independently risks missing the ship.

Edited by Astro Flyer

We will be in Wailea for 4 days prior to cruise and were thinking of doing Hana as this is something we have never done. We do not want a large tour bus tour so any suggestion would help.

Doing it by rental car would be ideal if you have a rental car and are OK with driving it yourself. If a tour is your choice, I don't think large tour buses do the RTH - suggest looking at Valley Isle Excursions (Max 12/veh) and Temptation Tours (vans that hold 6-8 people). Both of these companies get great feedback in Tripadvisor reviews. I know that Valley Isle does the complete circuit - which IMO is a big advantage - not sure if Temptation does this or backtracks on the same route.

Edited by Susan-M

Hope the road up to Haleakala isn't as hairy! :-)

The road to Haleakala is not "hairy" at all. I am one of those "white knuckle" people on roads with severe drop offs and this road is like a Sunday drive. As you travel through the "up country" you are gradually increasing elevation. Be sure to stop at the pull offs to take in the view. It is spectacular. The final leg up to the crater has some switchback turns, but not scary at all. And, like the Road to Hana, you are traveling a very low speeds.

This is a bit off topic but since it appears many on this post have great knowledge I thought I'd ask here.

I usually cruise but the sea time looks like too much. I was planning a 10 trip to Hawaii and I don't know which island---The Big Island or Maui---would be best to spend that time.

My friend said the beach was better at the Big Island vs Maui. But she had more fun in Maui. She spent 8 days at BIG Island..and then got a puddle jumper to Maui for 4 days. This sounds great to me....I have no idea how much the plane cost.

My question is ...which island would you pick for some beach but mostly adventure. I plan on renting a car. Any suggestions about either island or there personal favorite would be helpful.

Thanks in advance!!

Kris

This is a bit off topic but since it appears many on this post have great knowledge I thought I'd ask here.

I usually cruise but the sea time looks like too much. I was planning a 10 trip to Hawaii and I don't know which island---The Big Island or Maui---would be best to spend that time.

My friend said the beach was better at the Big Island vs Maui. But she had more fun in Maui. She spent 8 days at BIG Island..and then got a puddle jumper to Maui for 4 days. This sounds great to me....I have no idea how much the plane cost.

My question is ...which island would you pick for some beach but mostly adventure. I plan on renting a car. Any suggestions about either island or there personal favorite would be helpful.

Thanks in advance!!

Kris

To me Maui easily has much better beaches than the Big Island.

South & West Maui have many sandy beaches...what type of activities do you like? Then I could provide a few suggestions for you to consider.