123Go/Go Big...

ravinblue

In 2014, we spent 26 days on HAL Eurodam doing a transatlantic followed by a Greece/Turkey cruise. When we booked, they offered their Explore 4 package - we got two perks, the Beverage package and the gratuities. We enjoyed the "free" drinks, but we are "lightweights". For several days, I keep track - our usual was a cappuccino, a beer with lunch, a pre-dinner cocktail, and one glass of wine with dinner. We figured that we spent about half of what the package would have cost.

Nevertheless, we would love to get a beverage package again if it is offered as a perk (or the gratuities or free unlimited internet). A few months ago, Celebrity was offering its Go Big....promotion where you could get one perk on most sailings (and internet travel agents were offering two or three of the perks). We were booking a 14 day cruise on the Constellation from Abu Dhabi to Singapore and found that the promotion was not available as the cruise was considered a repositioning. Today I looked into booking a Transatlantic for next year and again could not find it being offered for these sailings, though it was there for the typical Med/Caribbean/Alaska cruises.

Has it always been this way on Celebrity or is this something new?

For the past couple of years the 123 Go or now Big, Better, Best does not apply to Transatlantic, Transpacific or repositioning cruises. The rub is the itinerary you mentioned which Celebrity is calling a repositioning. We are booked on the Singapore to Abu Dhabi with no perks-hardly a repositioning when it goes Singapore to Abu Dhabi and then next cruise is Abu Dhabi to Singapore.:mad:

Whilest what has been said about no or different perks on repositioning cruises I would get your TA to check what perks are on offer when considering booking. We are on the Solstice this October from Sydney to Singapore and the website only has a cash perk but our TA got us a go Better promo plus OBC so don't take anything for granted. The Sydney to Singapore is treated as a repositioning cruise in some quarters but not in others it seems.

Edited by Beanb41

In 2014, we spent 26 days on HAL Eurodam doing a transatlantic followed by a Greece/Turkey cruise. When we booked, they offered their Explore 4 package - we got two perks, the Beverage package and the gratuities. We enjoyed the "free" drinks, but we are "lightweights". For several days, I keep track - our usual was a cappuccino, a beer with lunch, a pre-dinner cocktail, and one glass of wine with dinner. We figured that we spent about half of what the package would have cost.

Nevertheless, we would love to get a beverage package again if it is offered as a perk (or the gratuities or free unlimited internet). A few months ago, Celebrity was offering its Go Big....promotion where you could get one perk on most sailings (and internet travel agents were offering two or three of the perks). We were booking a 14 day cruise on the Constellation from Abu Dhabi to Singapore and found that the promotion was not available as the cruise was considered a repositioning. Today I looked into booking a Transatlantic for next year and again could not find it being offered for these sailings, though it was there for the typical Med/Caribbean/Alaska cruises.

I booked that cruise and ran into the bogus "repositioning" classification. Celebrity starts Asian cruises in December and runs this itinerary back and forth for a total of 2 round trips during the season, interspersed with other Asian cruises. When I took issue, Celebrity's explanation was "if they don't start and end in the same port they're repositioning cruises", which is B.S. The B.S. factor in this classification really goes up when you look at X's multiple Med cruises that start and finish in different ports that aren't classified that way. I raised hell over 2 days and got the value of the perks in OBC since the system wouldn't allow their addition. This is bait and switch advertising and nothing more.

Edited by blizzardboy

If you read their terms and conditions on the promo, they do exclude Galapagos cruises, Transatlantic, Transpacific, repositioning, and South America repositioning cruises. It's their liberal, inconsistent, and somewhat slimey classification of the repositioning cruises that got me fired up. Even their senior reps were troubled by this B.S. In 90 days with HAL, I've never run into anything like this. I would consider transferring the booking to a TA to get their 9-10% of the fare in OBC or discount. With X you have 60 days from booking, but before final payment to transfer. With HAL, my PCC quotes me with and without Explore 4. We drink a bit, but like you have found that we're better off with a net fare and paying for our fun.

Edited by blizzardboy

If you read their terms and conditions on the promo, they do exclude Galapagos cruises, Transatlantic, Transpacific, repositioning, and South America repositioning cruises. It's their liberal, inconsistent, and somewhat slimey classification of the repositioning cruises that got me fired up. Even their senior reps were troubled by this B.S. In 90 days with HAL, I've never run into anything like this. I would consider transferring the booking to a TA to get their 9-10% of the fare in OBC or discount. With X you have 60 days from booking, but before final payment to transfer. With HAL, my PCC quotes me with and without Explore 4. We drink a bit, but like you have found that we're better off with a net fare and paying for our fun.

I did get some OBC by booking with a travel agent.

Obviously, Celebrity has noticed that people drink a lot more on sea days, so the perk costs them more for repositioning cruises than those with mostly port days. They must also have fewer empty cabins to fill as these cruises become more popular.

I booked that cruise and ran into the bogus "repositioning" classification. Celebrity starts Asian cruises in December and runs this itinerary back and forth for a total of 2 round trips during the season, interspersed with other Asian cruises. When I took issue, Celebrity's explanation was "if they don't start and end in the same port they're repositioning cruises", which is B.S. The B.S. factor in this classification really goes up when you look at X's multiple Med cruises that start and finish in different ports that aren't classified that way. I raised hell over 2 days and got the value of the perks in OBC since the system wouldn't allow their addition. This is bait and switch advertising and nothing more.

Then, by Celebrity's own official definition of repositioning cruises (begin/end in two different ports), every Millennium Alaska sailing (Seward-Vancouver and vice versa) is a repositioning cruise. Yet Go BBB is applicable to those sailings....... :rolleyes:

Obviously, Celebrity has noticed that people drink a lot more on sea days, so the perk costs them more for repositioning cruises than those with mostly port days. They must also have fewer empty cabins to fill as these cruises become more popular.

I don't have a problem with them exempting a class of cruise if they did it in other than a self-serving and inconsistent manner. If you sail in Asia for 5 months, don't tell me a sailing in that market a month after you get there is a repositioning cruise!

Perhaps, but it may have to do more with the fact that repositioning cruises are usually more price competitive therefore they do not want to build the price of the perks unto the price. Although I have noticed the price of TAs is going up especially the Suite Class.

The price per day of the drink package is the same on all cruises including the repositioning leading me to believe that the lack of built in perks on reposition cruises is not related to the number of sea days.

Perhaps, but it may have to do more with the fact that repositioning cruises are usually more price competitive therefore they do not want to build the price of the perks unto the price. Although I have noticed the price of TAs is going up especially the Suite Class.

The price per day of the drink package is the same on all cruises including the repositioning leading me to believe that the lack of built in perks on reposition cruises is not related to the number of sea days.

The cruise the OP mentioned is not bargain priced in the least. It's more a case of it being popular and X chose to classify it as a repositioning cruise to get out of offering a promo on it. A cruise ran multiple times in a particular market (Asia), 1-3 months after the ship moves to this market, is not a repositioning cruise.

I disagree. When in port, most people take tours or at least get off the ship and walk around for a few hours. On sea days we get about six more hours of bar time. On a transatlantic, that 8 days x 6 hours x 2 drinks per hour equals 96 more drinks, p.p., than if they would have been port days. That's a reason why they aren't offered as a perk, at least in the U.S.

The cruise the OP mentioned is not bargain priced in the least. It's more a case of it being popular and X chose to classify it as a repositioning cruise to get out of offering a promo on it. A cruise ran multiple times in a particular market (Asia), 1-3 months after the ship moves to this market, is not a repositioning cruise.

IMO Celebrity can chose to offer a bundle (cruises plus a perk) on any cruise or not. The choice of calling it a repositioning cruise does seem odd in your example if it is run consecutively. But having a cruise in one region, repositioning, having a cruise in another region, and then repositioning back probably meets the definition of reposition. As I said Celebrity is not really required to offer a bundled price on any cruise or every cruise.

It does seem odd to me that the price per day for the two different types of cruises are the same, but I am sure it is market driven. The per day price on TAs is increasing, but except for Suites I think it is still less on average.

I disagree. When in port, most people take tours or at least get off the ship and walk around for a few hours. On sea days we get about six more hours of bar time. On a transatlantic, that 8 days x 6 hours x 2 drinks per hour equals 96 more drinks, p.p., than if they would have been port days. That's a reason why they aren't offered as a perk, at least in the U.S.

Obviously I have a different opinion. As I stated Celebrity does not charge a different price for the drink package when they sell it if there are a lot of sea days. When Celebrrity does offer a choice of a perk it is just a bundling program IMO and they are charging extra for the bundle. Celebrity may even chose to add a bundle instead of lowering the price at times. The offer on the exact same cruise might even be different depending on the market.

Of course it, is logical that Celebrity serves more drinks on Sea days when everyone is on the ship, but I am convince the profit margins still allow for a profit. I would hate to see Celebrity charge a different per day price for Sea and Port days and I do not think the market would accept, that kind of pricing program.

Edited by jagoffee

Really!! We certainly don't drink 2 drinks per hour for 6 hours during the day on sea days. That would be 12 drinks during the day in addition to what would normally be consumed in the evening or the coffee or Bloody Mary we may have before getting off the ship on a port day. I'm sure a few can/do consume at that rate during the day but I think that would be the exception.

Really!! We certainly don't drink 2 drinks per hour for 6 hours during the day on sea days. That would be 12 drinks during the day in addition to what would normally be consumed in the evening or the coffee or Bloody Mary we may have before getting off the ship on a port day. I'm sure a few can/do consume at that rate during the day but I think that would be the exception.

After being VERY pleased with eight Celebrity T/As and one Celebrity T/P in the last 4 four years, I recently did my first T/P with Royal... a 35 night B2B from Sydney... first to New Zealand and then Seattle. :D

The amount of alcohol and number of drinks served (gratis) in their Diamond Lounge (equivalent of Elite Happy Hour) was nothing less than staggering. They offered a MUCH wider selection of drinks, (AND appetizers) and it went from 5:00 until 8:30 every night as opposed to only two hours on Celebrity. That is in ADDITION to three drinks at any other bar around the ship. :eek:

I can not for the life of me understand how anyone could possible get their money's worth out of a drinks package once having made Elite/Diamond. I spent the entire last MONTH since the cruise ended just "drying out" and detoxing. :o

Edited by teecee60

IMO Celebrity can chose to offer a bundle (cruises plus a perk) on any cruise or not. The choice of calling it a repositioning cruise does seem odd in your example if it is run consecutively. But having a cruise in one region, repositioning, having a cruise in another region, and then repositioning back probably meets the definition of reposition. As I said Celebrity is not really required to offer a bundled price on any cruise or every cruise.

It does seem odd to me that the price per day for the two different types of cruises are the same, but I am sure it is market driven. The per day price on TAs is increasing, but except for Suites I think it is still less on average.

Obviously I have a different opinion. As I stated Celebrity does not charge a different price for the drink package when they sell it if there are a lot of sea days. When Celebrrity does offer a choice of a perk it is just a bundling program IMO and they are charging extra for the bundle. Celebrity may even chose to add a bundle instead of lowering the price at times. The offer on the exact same cruise might even be different depending on the market.

Of course it, is logical that Celebrity serves more drinks on Sea days when everyone is on the ship, but I am convince the profit margins still allow for a profit. I would hate to see Celebrity charge a different per day price for Sea and Port days and I do not think the market would accept, that kind of pricing program.

I don't care what they call them if they do it consistently. As I said, X was in Asia a month before this cruise, and they do it twice in both directions, never leaving Asia. As other posters have said, by X's definition they do "repositioning" all season in Alaska and the Med, but don't classify them that way. Bottomline, competition keeps them from playing games with customers! Do you disagree that repositioning normally denotes a change of market. i.e. Asia to Europe, by the season? I haven't seen other lines playing these games with their customers. X and the Kama Sutra both do some strange "repositioning", but in both cases someone is getting screwed!

Edited by blizzardboy