Random questions

David Owl

We are on QE in a couple of weeks. Fairly experienced cruises but new to Cunard and have a few of questions that I hope someone can help me with :

I know that Cunard is more formal than P&O and Celebrity, and I have no problem with dressing up in the evenings, but is it acceptable to wear football shirts on deck or in the lounges during the day. I may go to the gym or in the pool so that would be more comfortable for me.

Can someone enlighten me about afternoon tea.

Is it necessary, or possible, to book ?

Is there a charge ?

Dress code ?

We are in Britannia club and know that the table in the restaurant is ours for the whole trip. We have asked for a table for two, but how are they allocated? Whilst we would love a good view from the window, I would hate it if we were in the full sun at every meal for up to 9 nights.

Anything else I need to know ?

Heya!

You can wear whatever you want in the day (just not at afternoon tea).

Afternoon tea is 100% necessary! So good. No charge you just show up :-) There is a dress code but I think it's just no shorts.

I had the same table every evening. Make sure you don't miss out on the free room service!!

I took my first Cunard cruise and here are the things I wish I knew beforehand... http://cruisingisntjustforoldpeople.co.uk/2016/11/06/8-things-you-should-know-before-cruising-with-cunard/

There is a review of afternoon tea there too and a guide to the dress code. Hopefully that'll be helpful.

Have an amazing time!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Excellent. We had afternoon tea on Britannia and even though it cost extra and was "designed" by some famous chef, we weren't impressed but I have seen good reports of Cunard's

Feel better about the dress code now.

Thanks for all that and for replying so quickly.

David

Excellent. We had afternoon tea on Britannia and even though it cost extra and was "designed" by some famous chef, we weren't impressed but I have seen good reports of Cunard's

Feel better about the dress code now.

Thanks for all that and for replying so quickly.

David

Very welcome! Feel free to ask if you need anymore advice or anything. I'm all over the internet haha.

Cunards afternoon tea is much better ;) not to be missed! I had it everyday...

Not too sure how old the poster is, however, whilst the dress code during the day is more relaxed than the evening, I'd leave your football shirt at home. Although there is nothing wrong with it, I'd wear it for when you are supporting and cheering on your local football team.

Cunard is slightly more premium than P&O & Celebrity, the dress code during the day would be 'smart' casual, particularly on QM2 transatlantic.

I would beg to differ....we have recently returned from two way Transatlantic on QM2 and the dress worn by passengers was no different than P and O....in fact on formal night the dress code was less formal with probably only 50% in formal evening suits! We were surprised!!!

I would beg to differ....we have recently returned from two way Transatlantic on QM2 and the dress worn by passengers was no different than P and O....in fact on formal night the dress code was less formal with probably only 50% in formal evening suits! We were surprised!!!

Wow! Was that a special crossing or something that made it more casual? I have never seen less than around 95% formal wear on a formal night on any of my many Cunard cruises!

And I would tend to agree with Hellboy on the football shirt. We were on a cruise a few years ago when there was a man who wore a football shirt everyday during the day. Yes, he was within the dress code hor daytime but he really stood out. And not in a good way.

Heya!

You can wear whatever you want in the day (just not at afternoon tea).

Afternoon tea is 100% necessary! So good. No charge you just show up :-) There is a dress code but I think it's just no shorts.

I had the same table every evening. Make sure you don't miss out on the free room service!!

I took my first Cunard cruise and here are the things I wish I knew beforehand... http://cruisingisntjustforoldpeople.co.uk/2016/11/06/8-things-you-should-know-before-cruising-with-cunard/

There is a review of afternoon tea there too and a guide to the dress code. Hopefully that'll be helpful.

Have an amazing time!!

On our TA and our Christmas cruise in 2015 my husband dad and son wore shorts for afternoon tea. I had taken sone nice tea dresses but decided I would be over dressed if I wore those during the daytime.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Forums mobile app

On our TA and our Christmas cruise in 2015 my husband dad and son wore shorts for afternoon tea. I had taken sone nice tea dresses but decided I would be over dressed if I wore those during the daytime.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Forums mobile app

agree, chino tailored and cargo shorts perfectly acceptable on board during daytime casual

But hopefully, you didn't see many in Football shirts.

Mixed replies then. What do people wear on deck by the pool ?

By the way, although I'm from the north I won't be wearing the knotted hankie.

Yes men wear football shirts. I have seen one or two over the years especially when watching a match in the bar but they are very few and far between. You might stand out when wearing one but it isn't a forbidden article of clothing.

The poster who thought shorts aren't worn for afternoon tea is wrong. Although quite a few passengers do choose to change for afternoon tea, shorts especially in warmer climates can be worn all day, in the main restaurants for breakfast and lunch and Queen's room for afternoon tea.

T-shirt and shorts, chinos and open neck ss/ls shirts, polo shirt and jeans for men, take your pick. All can be worn by the pool. There's no uniform and no obvious dress code.

I wear crops and a long line beach shirt over my swim suit when walking between sun deck and cabin and crops and a T shirt when going to the gym.

Nobody is going to be giving you marks out of ten for sartorial pool elegance so don't worry.

Your table in the Britannia restaurant is only reserved for you for dinner. Breakfast and lunch are open seating so you can seat different places each day. When you arrive, your table number will be on a card in your stateroom. You can take the card with you that afternoon of boarding and check where the table is located and possibly request a change if there is a problem with the table placement.

Afternoon tea is well attended. You can also get the same items in the King Courts (self serve buffet).

Have a wonderful time on board.

Your table in the Britannia restaurant is only reserved for you for dinner. Breakfast and lunch are open seating so you can seat different places each day. When you arrive, your table number will be on a card in your stateroom. You can take the card with you that afternoon of boarding and check where the table is located and possibly request a change if there is a problem with the table placement.

Afternoon tea is well attended. You can also get the same items in the King Courts (self serve buffet).

Have a wonderful time on board.

The OP is in Britannia Club so their table is available for all 3 meals.

Some posters seem to have inferred from this that the passengers you encountered on this Cunard transatlantic had dressed down a bit. It sounds a bit ambiguous to me insofar as the P&O cruise fraternity may have dressed up more. A 50% compliance rate on P&O UK seems exceptionally low as an estimate to my experience.

Regards John

On our two way T/A it was noticeable that probably 50% of passengers wore lounge suits and ties for formal evening as opposed to dinner suits and bow ties......on our P and O cruises we would estimate that above 80% wear dinner suits and bow ties or at least a dark suit, white shirt and bow tie.....we guessed that perhaps alot of passengers were travelling further than the end port, perhaps flying, and did not want to carry formal wear....

It was our first Cunard cruise and we were surprised!

• 2 weeks later...