Leftover wine.....

ALWAYZCRUISEN

Hi happy cruisers,

I responded to a thread not so long ago about Steakhouses. I posted how to turn that free bottle of red wine (merlot) into a sangria if you didn't finish it. I suggested that you grab some fruit from the breakfast bar, mix it with the wine and top it off with sprite if the bar didn't let you have seltzer water. Somebody posted right after that they have been doing that for so long. I started wondering what else is out there that I didn't know about, what else can you do with left wine or leftover anything for that matter (while cruising)?

A wine bottle is a single serving container, is it not?

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I certainly thought so! I'm very confused by this post title. I don't know what this "leftover wine" is that you're speaking of. :confused::p

Edited by irishnyc

Sorry I confused so many, let me clarify.....Many posters were saying that they didn't like the free bottle of wine that they received at the Steakhouse, whether it was red or white. Many said that they had some wine leftover because they didn't drink all of it or people in their party didn't care for it. Many posters said they took their bottle of wine back to the room. I myself have had wine leftover because my husband doesn't like wine and I ended up taking the rest back to the cabin. I wanted to know if there was anything else other than what I suggested to do with leftover wine.

Sorry I confused so many, let me clarify.....Many posters were saying that they didn't like the free bottle of wine that they received at the Steakhouse, whether it was red or white. Many said that they had some wine leftover because they didn't drink all of it or people in their party didn't care for it. Many posters said they took their bottle of wine back to the room. I myself have had wine leftover because my husband doesn't like wine and I ended up taking the rest back to the cabin. I wanted to know if there was anything else other than what I suggested to do with leftover wine.

I think the sangria idea is wonderful! I can't think of a better idea.

I think it was more some of us never have any left over wine to mix into a different adult beverage...LOL

Curious question -- On Carnival can you upgrade your free wine you receive at the Steakhouse?

I think it was more some of us never have any left over wine to mix into a different adult beverage...LOL

Curious question -- On Carnival can you upgrade your free wine you receive at the Steakhouse?

I should have named it something different, but I totally get it, I never have any of my favorite wine left.

I have read that you can't upgrade it but that doesn't mean its true on all ships.

What confuses me is why, if the wine is bad, you would want to drink it at all, disguised as sangria or anything else. If it is a bad wine it will make bad sangria, no?

I suppose if you had drunk enough good wine previously, you wouldn't notice how bad the free wine is...so have it for "dessert." ;)

What confuses me is why, if the wine is bad, you would want to drink it at all, disguised as sangria or anything else. If it is a bad wine it will make bad sangria, no?

I suppose if you had drunk enough good wine previously, you wouldn't notice how bad the free wine is...so have it for "dessert." ;)

I think the OP liked the wine but her DH didn't, so she didn't drink the whole bottle and brought it partially filled back to her stateroom and wanted to know if there was something else "to do with it." My DH would not THINK of drinking wine so I can see where this is going. :confused:I am assuming she has a glass or two of wine "left over" in the bottle and doesn't want to waste it and wants to know her options lol. ;) I, myself, buy the 4L jug of Carlo Rossi Chablis for $13.99 at my local Bottle King and whatever lemon lime soda is on sale (Sierra Mist or Sprite) and make white wine spritzers. Cheap, refreshing and hits the spot!! :D:p CHEERS! :)

Hi happy cruisers,

I responded to a thread not so long ago about Steakhouses. I posted how to turn that free bottle of red wine (merlot) into a sangria if you didn't finish it. I suggested that you grab some fruit from the breakfast bar, mix it with the wine and top it off with sprite if the bar didn't let you have seltzer water. Somebody posted right after that they have been doing that for so long. I started wondering what else is out there that I didn't know about, what else can you do with left wine or leftover anything for that matter (while cruising)?

On other cruise lines and I think this is true for CCL, you can request the left over wine by saved for the next dinner. They will put your cabin number on the bottle and the bottle will be available for your future pleasure. Ask your server. Free or not it is yours.

On other cruise lines and I think this is true for CCL, you can request the left over wine by saved for the next dinner. They will put your cabin number on the bottle and the bottle will be available for your future pleasure. Ask your server. Free or not it is yours.

Great Tip I would much rather have another glass of wine served at the dinning table the following night than mix up my own day time beverage in the cabin.

I remember that other thread months ago, I subscribed to it. I usually travel with my kids under 21, so I'm the only one drinking the wine and never make it through a bottle at one sitting.

People on that thread were very helpful with a few suggestions on how to make in room cocktails. I like the idea of making sangria with either red or white wine. Try getting sliced peaches if available for a delicious peach sangria. Also, the wine spritzer idea is good except I hate overly sweet drinks so I'd need some seltzer water in place of Sprite.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My first choice would be to use to use the 'bad' free bottle as your second bottle of the evening.:D What the heck, you're on vacation!

If you actually want to see the world before noon the next day, making sangria out of this wine is a great idea. Adding fruit from the buffet to the wine will improve the taste, or at least make it more drinkable. There is a famous beer out there that people put a slice on lime into. They don't do that because it's 'cool'.;)

Edited by DirtyDawg

My first choice would be to use to use the 'bad' free bottle as your second bottle of the evening.:D What the heck, you're on vacation!

If you actually want to see the world before noon the next day, making sangria out of this wine is a great idea. Adding fruit from the buffet to the wine will improve the taste, or at least make it more drinkable. There is a famous beer out there that people put a slice on lime into. They don't do that because it's 'cool'.;)

No indeed. They actually do it for much more practical reasons. This beer originates in a dusty, shall we say less than sanitary part of the world, and the original purpose of shoving the slice of lime into the neck of the bottle was to keep the flies out! Now it's just tradition.