Luggage Size question - 25' or 29' spinners

Lotus8

I bought a 28" spinner last year. It's easy to pack too much in it. Three weeks ago I had to take something out at the airport because it weighed 51.5 pounds. I managed to get it to 47 pounds on the way back since I checked another piece of luggage home. Thank goodness Southwest doesn't charge for the first two bags.

We each take a 20-21" rolling carry-on.

I carry a tote bag and my husband carries a day pack, so one of those bags is always perfect for island stops.

This is plenty of packing space for a one-week cruise: Don't underestimate what a small bag can hold, if you pack well.

We each take a 20-21" rolling carry-on.

I carry a tote bag and my husband carries a day pack, so one of those bags is always perfect for island stops.

This is plenty of packing space for a one-week cruise: Don't underestimate what a small bag can hold, if you pack well.

Exactly. I just had another incident where I was so glad I had my clothing with me....I hit something sharp wearing an old pair of shorts on the plane when I was coming back from Louisiana where my hubby had been working for several months. Blew them out....I was not happy. I stopped in the bathroom, ditched my shorts in the trash and got another pair out.

There is only so much you can wear on a cruise. We used to way overpack (a checked *trunk*:p and a carry on each!) and I would come home and rewash, even if we hadn't worn it for the mere reason it was in a bag with dirty clothing. Now, I make a list of what I'm going to wear and how it will pair with what I have planned, and we are good to go. I use the bundle method which works fantastic for me. I actually just packed in a smaller bag for a week in Louisiana, but I really didn't need that much down there and my hubby had a washer and dryer in his apartment.

It's really just a matter of thinking things out....and I'm a plus sized gal and it works for me!

Jon Holloway is my hero!

packingjob_zps28e8ef17.jpg"]packingjob_zps28e8ef17.jpg[/url]

Even if we had to check our bags instead of carry on, we would not take more.

It is not just a question of checking bags for us, it is the ease of travelling with less. We need to be able to lift them onto trains, in and out of rentals, on to ferries, over cobbled streets Whatever.

It is very different if you are just going on a cruise and coming home. But, we will not take anything that we cannot physically handle by ourselves.

It is very liberating for us not to anchored down to heavy, unmanageable luggage when travelling or having to depend on others to move or handle our bags.

Edited by iancal

Love my 29" spinner when we drive. Normally use my 26" spinner & 20" spinner carryon for flights. First thing I pack is my digital luggage scale (& a set of new batteries)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm a frequent business traveler...so far this year about 80 night. When I pack for a typical M-F (4 night) business trip, I can fit it all into a single carry-on bag (including gym clothes and shoes), generally using my TravelPro Crew 9 22 inch expandable.

However when cruising, the DH and I look like Thurston and Lovey Howell... We each have a carry-on (21-25 inch) and a checked bag (27+ inches) and a briefcase or backpack. Dang, you need a backpack just for the various charges, adapters, iPads, cameras, door decorations, and guidebooks. I need at least 5 pairs of shoes and my shorts/pool outfits, casual dinner outfits, special clothes for the white hot night and Norwegians Night Out...lol, I'm on vacation. And I want lot of choices!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My point is WHY would you need that many clothes ..

Because I adore formal nights and damn well intend to be ready for them!

I also use pull-behinds and won't go with spinners. Most appear to have a very vulnerable wheel assembly design. The wheels get caught in the luggage cages, other bags piled on top, then SNAP! I live in NYC and the relatively new spinner bags put in the trash all have a wheel broken off.

To each his/her own.

Edited by BlueRiband