Luggage Size question - 25' or 29' spinners

Lotus8

Hi all!

So I've been in the market for new luggage, and wanted to upgrade to a new spinner set. I was all set in getting a 29' spinner (most of the cruises I go on are for a week), and then I started seeing a few feedback regarding that size. Some said not only is it very easy to go over the 50lbs weight limit (this is all airport restrictions, not cruising) , but also usually that size will go over the 62' total size of luggage. I was reading that most suitcase dimensions dont include the wheels, and if you were to get a ticket agent who was to measure, it could add up very easily each trip to the airport.

I was curious as to what has been people's experience with luggage size and oversize fees they have encountered. I ordered the next size down, the 25' and the 21" boarding suitcase. That way I only have to pay for one checked bag and the other one still fits into carry on size.

I am thinking at least this way it gives me peace of mind I wont worry about incurring any extra fees at the airport every time I go. I always tend to pack heavy, so I guess this will force me not to as well.

Thanks for your input, just hoping I didnt make the wrong choice.

Edited by Lotus8

Trying these for the first time in Oct. We understand we have to keep within the weight constraints. But if I can get all my dirty laundry inside this baby, plus stuff in my last-night overnight cruise bag inside it before I check it in for the airplane home, I will be happy.

We have a 26" spinner each for cruises 10+ days & the 21 " for 7 day cruises

never hit 40lbs .... I cannot imagine what you pack if you hit 50lbs:eek:

I usually travel with a 24" to 25" suitcase whether I'm gone for a week or three weeks. I am usually right at 47-48 lbs. I pack very densely and the suitcase is mainly clothes -- not heavy shoes, books, etc.

I usually travel with a 24" to 25" suitcase whether I'm gone for a week or three weeks. I am usually right at 47-48 lbs. I pack very densely and the suitcase is mainly clothes -- not heavy shoes, books, etc.

WOW

Mine usually run 30-35 lbs that is with DH dress shoes & sandals & I am still trying to pare things down

we have done up to 32 day cruises

WOW

Mine usually run 30-35 lbs that is with DH dress shoes & sandals & I am still trying to pare things down

Same here - have never gone over 40 lbs, usually closer to the 30, and my bag is pretty tightly packed.

I cannot imagine travelling with at 28-29" bag. MamaTwick is shopping for a new bag, and 24" is the max she'll go.

WOW

People are always amazed what I can fit in my suitcase. Densely packed clothes are pretty heavy.

I don't bundle, use packing bags, or take things on hangers, etc. I have tried it and I get more into my suitcase just using the good old-fashioned folding techniques I learned from my dad 40+ years ago...;)

Edited by cruisemom42

On our 33 day cruise with two pre-cruise days/nights we checked a 28" spinner and a 26" spinner, and we each carried on an 18" backpack as well as my large purse.

The two checked bags each weighed close to 47 lbs.

Edited by NMLady

So much of the weight of a suitcase can be just the suitcase itself. For my recent Baltic cruise, I took my 28" spinner and the suitcase empty weighed 9 pounds. I was at 45# on the way over and almost at 50# on the way home. My mother's bag was lighter but she is also a few sizes smaller than me. Plus sized clothes take up more room and weigh more. :) Make sure you weigh your suitcase empty to see what you are starting at. A lot of the newer suitcases are light weight, but you never know until you actually weigh it. I also have a travel scale that I take to weigh the suitcases before we come home. That way, if we need to adjust stuff to another suit case or to the carry on, I have time to do it.

People are always amazed what I can fit in my suitcase. Densely packed clothes are pretty heavy.

My point is WHY would you need that many clothes :eek:

We went to Northern Europe & Norway with temps from 90's to below zero had winter coats, hats, mitts, jeans, shorts, T's & some dress clothes for evenings along with a few prs of shoes each did not even get to 35 lbs & my suitcase with wheels weighs 9lbs empty

I am willing to do laundry if it means lighter packing

We follow two rules. You only pack as much as you alone can comfortably handle and the bigger the suitcase the more unnecessary items you will find to bring.

We do carry on now. Over many years of travel, and frankly as we age, we find it much easier to bring and carry less. The very most that we would ever take is a 21inch for DW and a 19" for me. We essentially pack for five or six days whether we are going for a week or for three months. We are invariably travelling to warm climates so that also cuts down on what we need. I cannot imagine travelling today, as much as we do, with the amount of luggage that we used to take 10, 15, or 20 years ago. Our trips are usually 5-8 week independent land based trips with a cruise included at some point.

We prefer carry on because it arrives without damage, without delay, and with everything in tact-no missing items. On more than one occasion travelling with carry on has enabled us to change flights mid connection because our bags were not checked. We have become adept at layering clothes and most especially limiting ourselves to two pairs of shoes each-including the ones on our feet. I am certain that we would end up bringing more if we were simply driving to and from the port.

One thing is for certain...we would never entertain buying a 29" suitcase- not unless we wanted to hide a dead body in it! Even one with rollers/spinners.

Not saying that this is best for everyone but it works well for us.

Edited by iancal

My point is WHY would you need that many clothes :eek:

We went to Northern Europe & Norway with temps from 90's to below zero had winter coats, hats, mitts, jeans, shorts, T's & some dress clothes for evenings along with a few prs of shoes each did not even get to 35 lbs & my suitcase with wheels weighs 9lbs empty

I don't know. It doesn't seem like that many clothes relative to some who pack multiple (and larger bags). :confused: I do pack lighter on non-cruise vacations where one doesn't have to dress up in the evening.

Maybe it's because much of my travel is during times of the year when it is off-season/colder. (Like Europe in February.)

WE're going on a two week guided tour of Sicily, then a week in Rome and a week in France AND THEN getting on a transatlantic cruise back to the US So that's 6 weeks total and we only take one 26" and a large carry on. And we have to include guide books, cameras, raincoats, heavier jackets.

A dressy pair of black slacks matches up with a few tops and a scarf that picks up all the colors. No high heels, just black sandals. But if you see someone wearing the same two pair of shorts over and over on a 13 day cruise, don't judge!

I think I have read everything there is on the Internet regarding packing. What to bring, how to pack it, capsule wardrobes, mix and match, 2 weeks with 9 items of clothing in 1 carry-on, etc. None of it ever worked for me unit I stopped worrying about what anyone else does or doesn't do.

Much of the stuff I've read does help, especially not carrying so many shoes. But, I now bring what I want and what I think I need. BUT, it all has to go (whether rolled, folded or packed flat) in the bag I'm willing to haul around. Period. If it doesn't fit I re-arrange, re-think and leave stuff out until it all works.

So in answer to your question, 29 inches is way too big for me to handle by myself (I am a woman, 61 years old). And the only time I ever had over weight fees I was using 29 inch bag. I've found that my 24 inch (or is it 25 inch?) bag is just about perfect. Fits everything I need and I can then put any stray "wants" or "almost forgots" as well as valuables in my carry-on.

That is the big difference. I WON'T DO LAUNDRY, COOK OR CLEAN on my vacation. To each their own.

I've tried all sizes, from huge duffle bag, to 3 small bags, and finally settled on a 28" suitcase and a carry-on bag. I've used this method for travel the last 30 years. I also have a luggage scale that goes with me.

The only time I didn't use this suitcase was our Med cruise in 2008. I booked air from LAX to Paris and was allowed 50 lbs per suitcase. Had planned to take the overnight train from Paris to Rome, but that fell through and booked an Air France flight that only allowed 44 lbs per suitcase. So I took a 25" suitcase and a carry-on. After purchasing souvenirs on the 21 day trip, a lot of old clothes and pamphlets had to be left behind, there just wasn't enough room or weight allowance. Upon check-in, mine weighed 49 lbs but my friend was 51 lbs, but the clerk let us go. WHEW!

We can all say what we do, but only the traveler knows what works for them.

Happy Travels To All!

That is the big difference. I WON'T DO LAUNDRY, COOK OR CLEAN on my vacation. To each their own.

We can all say what we do, but only the traveler knows what works for them.

Happy Travels To All!

exactly

I never take old clothes on vacation so nothing gets left behind & I still have room for stuff

I take an empty carry -on bag just incase I shop more than planned

Everyone has their priorities :D