alaska and the best nature times?

gazza48

Hi..went to Alaska on a Celebrity cruise end of May early June 2012 and had such an incredible time and want to go again in 2015 but at a different time. On the last trip we did some great excursions but missed doing whales and Glacier Bay. This time we are trying the mid to end of the cruising times as we would like to see bears, salmon run, eagles and of course whales.

JUst wondering if there are some suggestions as to best months for seeing those and the best ports of call. I know one is never guaranteed seeing wildlife but at least if we can plan the cruise to maximise the opportunity it would help! We have talked friends in to coming with us as we raved about our last trip.

We would be doing the Inside Passage again from either Vancouver or Seattle...

thanks everyone as you helped make our first cruise so enjoyable as we picked our excursions based on the feedback on cruise critic. This year we are doing the Mediteranean and using cruise critic advice to select excursions etc.

cheers

Gail:o

You'll see more of everything on a 1 way cruise that includes Glacier Bay, and not that round trip from Seattle.

Bears-all summer long

Salmon-all summer long

It's easiest to go bear viewing and you'll see bears and salmon together

Eagles-all year long

Whales-May

You will see wildlife on any Alaska trip. It really is guaranteed and I'm shocked to hear you didn't see anything on your trip. For everything you mentioned there is a chance of seeing those right from the ship, but your chances are much greater if you take an excursion specific to what you want to see.

I have done two Alaska cruise/tours in early to mid-Aug. and I would always do it then. You really need to do a land tour to see more wildlife, especially in Denali. In 2012 my friend and I sailed Millenium from Vancouver to Seward with stops in Ketchikan, Icy Strait Point, Skagway and Juneau and then did the land tour--Anchorage, Talkeetna, Denali and Fairbanks. We did two excursions out of Icy Strait Point, a bear watch in the morning and a whale watch after lunch. We had great sightings of bears and whales. I also recommend the Juneau whales, which are famous for "bubble fishing".

DH and I did the cruise/tour in reverse in Aug. '03, with one different port. Sitka instead of Icy Strait Point. I definitely prefer ICP for the wildlife. Try to book the 8 hr. tour of Denali. It will give you the best chance of seeing bears, moose, caribou and more. You will see salmon in Ketchikan, Juneau and elsewhere.

thanks again...we are now rethinking about doing the one way and picking up a cruise south with the stops. As we missed Glacier Bay last cruise as a lot of the forums said Tracy Arm was the better of the two,(it was incredible as we did the excursion off the cruise ship) want a cruise that will include Glacier bay this time. Denali seems to be a must see in relation to wildlife and scenery so might have to try and get that area on the trip!

Gail:):)

The salmon will bring the wildlife - especially bears and eagles. We have gone twice;

once in early August (spectacular salmon run that trip - I am talking phenomenal!)

Once in late June (salmon were just starting to run so not as much wildlife and not as many whale sightings as the previous trip)

A great idea, if you are really interested in wildlife viewing is to take the ferry to Haines if you are in Skagway. Bears are frequently seen along the Chilkoot river there, and the Kroschel Wildlife Center is there also - amazing places:

http://haines.ak.us/wildlife

http://www.kroschelfilms.com

Note* Ferry tickets sell out so buy before you leave for your vacation.

The salmon runs are sometime July/August so there is usually more bear sightings during this time than any other since the bears congregate near the streams for food. May have to take a flight to see them, however. There are bears in Denali throughout the season.

Whales can be seen anytime throughout the cruise season and not specific to any one month. The two best spots for whale watch excursions are Juneau and Icy Strait Point. There are many whales that actually winter in Alaska. Also when heading into Glacier Bay is an excellent area for whale watching from the ship. At least an hour before the ship picks up the ranger at Bartlett Cove. Might need to be on deck at 4am or 5am.

Eagles are all over. A good spot in port is in Ketchikan just north of town by the seafood processing plant. An easy walk.

We have taken two Alaska cruises both in mid-August. We saw more wildlife on the second cruise which was one way southbound from Seward to Vancouver.

We saw whales in both Juneau and Icy Strait Point and bears in Ketchikan and Icy Strait Point.

• 3 months later...
have been busy planning Alaska and thank you to all for the helpful advice on that one....we are now leaning more for the start of August to mid August. :)

Thanks for coming back and letting us know about your plans. Take lots of pictures. You will have an awesome cruise!

Went today and saw the movie "Bears" - filmed in Alaska and the scenery is great and the mother bear and her two cubs were wonderful to watch. Also showed tons of salmon - unfortunately, no whales.

Wendy