What time would you arrive day before cruise??

rocky55

HI. I know this is a silly question, just having a hard time deciding and thought my fellow cc could help. I am going on the Getaway in August, and I am flying in the night before. I got a great rate from Priceline. I bid on a 4 star by the port and got the intercontinental for under 100! I can take the 845AM flight that gets in at 1145, or the 1:25 that gets in at 4:25. The earlier one does give me more time in Miami, but I would have to leave my house at 6A.M. to get the flight and the room might not be ready. (FYI I am going with my 11 year old daughter). The later one I could sleep, but has less time in Miami. What would you do? Is there a lot to do by that hotel?

I appreciate any input. I ususally cruise from New York, so I just drive that morning.

Thank you

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Earlier. Yes you will be tired from the flight... But the later one might be delayed and even if not, you won't get to the hotel till after 5. So...try to catch a nap on the plane. Once you are there your room just might be ready and if not they will hold your bags. Then....options...

...Change into your swimsuits and lie around the pool for a while...

....Walk over to Bayside Mall, just a 5 min walk thru the park, and have lunch at an outdoor spot along the water

.....Take a big bus tour to the Miami/South Beach area which you can pick up at Bayside.

.....Take a boat/water tour which you can pick up there too

Enoy your getaway with your daughter!

earlier DOES provide an increased safety margin, but you're talking August no snow delays are unlikely. A 4:30 arrival in Miami provides PLENTY of time for dinner; don't forget the Latin influence in Miami ... many places don't wake up until 8pm! With 11 yoa dd your partying is restricted so you'll probably end up at nearby Bayside .... you can get a decent meal here: look for the localally owned Cuban places ... STAY AWAY FROM THE CHAINS (HardRock, BUBBA = YUK) try Latin American Café or Mambo Café

and also agree, if you get there early enuf the tourist boat rides from Bayside around the 'mansions' is a fun way to kill a couple of hours

Edited by Capt_BJ

I also vote for earlier. I would much rather be tired in Miami pre-cruise than be home!!

I've also found the IC to be very accommodating. Two years ago we arrived very early (before noon) and they checked us right into a room. Last year we arrived around 1pm and a room wasn't available. They held our luggage and we went to Bayside for lunch. Initially they told us about 2hrs but they called about 45min later that were ready. This was during the middle of Miami Ironman 70.3 when downtown was chaos.

Edited by aurelius180

Another vote for early. Stayed at IC about 6/7 years ago and booked through PL.

Ask very nicely to get a port view room. Had floor to ceiling windows and was fun watching the ships turning around in the Port.

Lounging by the pool of walking to Bayside are great suggestions.

My vote is for earlier as well. I like to arrive early, I have never had a problem with either getting the room earlier or the hotel holding my bags. This usually makes for an early day the day before and we relax, do a little last minute shopping, and usually have an early evening. Then the first day and night of the cruise I am not exhausted from travel.

Although as Capt_BJ states, snow will definitely not be a factor this time of year but, I have spent lots of time waiting out delays or dealing with flight cancellations in the summer months due to thunder storms and foul weather (flying out of the NY Metro area)

So the bottom line is, wake up and get the early flight. You can always take a nap on the flight or around the pool at the hotel. Catch some lunch with your daughter and people watch.

Whichever you choose, have a great time

Jed

Although as Capt_BJ states, snow will definitely not be a factor this time of year but, I have spent lots of time waiting out delays or dealing with flight cancellations in the summer months due to thunder storms and foul weather (flying out of the NY Metro area)

So the bottom line is, wake up and get the early flight. You can always take a nap on the flight or around the pool at the hotel. Catch some lunch with your daughter and people watch.

Whichever you choose, have a great time

Jed

This is true. I remember back in 2011 we were coming back from a 10 day trip and leaving out of Baltimore and our 1 p.m. flight got delayed to almost 8 p.m. . . in fact we thought we were going to have to stay the night but they decided to fly out that evening. We were on Southwest. Many other airlines cancelled flights to the following day. Real bad storms in South Florida caused this. Summer time in South Florida = guaranteed thunder storms.

HI. I know this is a silly question, just having a hard time deciding and thought my fellow cc could help. I am going on the Getaway in August, and I am flying in the night before. I got a great rate from Priceline. I bid on a 4 star by the port and got the intercontinental for under 100! I can take the 845AM flight that gets in at 1145, or the 1:25 that gets in at 4:25. The earlier one does give me more time in Miami, but I would have to leave my house at 6A.M. to get the flight and the room might not be ready. (FYI I am going with my 11 year old daughter). The later one I could sleep, but has less time in Miami. What would you do? Is there a lot to do by that hotel?

I appreciate any input. I ususally cruise from New York, so I just drive that morning.

Thank you

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

If the only inconvenience it leaving your house at 6 a.m. . . . you definitely should take the earlier flight. Leaving at 6 a.m. from the New York area seems ideal because you duck the lions share of the Friday rush hour morning traffic and when you get to Miami you will arrive prior to the rush hour traffic in the afternoon down here. Cost being the same it's a no brainer.

Have everything packed up and by the door that morning so when you wake up all you have to do is shower, get dressed and go.

Edited by kdawg954