Interested in NCL Escape 13 months away. Have excitement, confusion, and questions...

jc166k

So I have been trying to plan a cruise for next summer, and the NCL Escape is definitely a front runner. I have a 7 day Bermuda date in mind, and have a lot of questions mostly about booking. I apologize if this information is covered elsewhere:

1) How does one go about booking? There are just so many methods. Direct? With a travel agent?

2) I tried using cruise compete to get various quotes for the specific cruise, and the quotes were wildly different. Up to 30% in some cases. Some had balconies less than outside. Some had "unavailable" when others did not. Why so much variance, and can any of them really be relied on? Makes me question the service a little bit.

3) How far in advance do people book? Is there a strategy involved?

4) I have read about Vibe and Haven upgrades. Is that something I should be cognizant of? Sounds like it's more or less a crap shoot from reading here, but given enough advance?

5) Any other things I should pre order, purchase or sign up for? 13 months is a long time...

6) I believe the answer is yes, but is the Escape suitable for two small children 6 and 1?

Thanks, really appreciate it...

1) Your choice. There is no wrong answer. If you feel comfortable doing it yourself, go ahead. Some T/A's offer onboard credit (OBC) and other extras while some charge a fee for things that you can do yourself.

2) "Unavailable" can also mean that you are trying to book more in a stateroom than it can hold. Supply and demand is also a factor. If certain types aren't selling, the price will drop.

3) Some book as soon as dates are available. Others wait for better promos. Some wait for last minute deals.

4) You can book Haven directly and there is no risk (usually more expensive, though). You can also book a non-suite and hope to bid later. There are no guarantees with bidding. VIBE is first come, first serve. There are no guarantees even for Haven guests. Those with priority boarding (including Haven guests) have the best chance by boarding before general boarding.

5) If you want a Spa pass, book it early or book a stateroom with "built-in" Spa access. Certain restaurants should be booked ASAP (100 days out if in a suite, 90 days out otherwise) because times and availability are limited. Even if you don't make dining reservations before, you can make them on the first day you board....but don't hesitate. If you know what you want, book it as soon as you can.

6) Escape is the most family-friendly ship in the fleet. Escape's Guppies Nursery can take as young as 6 months.

Edited by Two Wheels Only

So I have been trying to plan a cruise for next summer, and the NCL Escape is definitely a front runner. I have a 7 day Bermuda date in mind, and have a lot of questions mostly about booking. I apologize if this information is covered elsewhere:

The Escape is a beautiful ship (we have been on the Escape and her cousins the Breakaway and Getaway 7 times).

1) How does one go about booking? There are just so many methods. Direct? With a travel agent?

We book direct. But you can use a travel agent who generally offer additional credits toward your cruise.

2) I tried using cruise compete to get various quotes for the specific cruise, and the quotes were wildly different. Up to 30% in some cases. Some had balconies less than outside. Some had "unavailable" when others did not. Why so much variance, and can any of them really be relied on? Makes me question the service a little bit.

For example, there are over a dozen different classes of balcony rooms, all based on location and features. So a balcony is not a balcony unless you are comparing specific cabin classes.

3) How far in advance do people book? Is there a strategy involved?

1 week up to May 2020. Book a room. If the price drops substantially, cancel your booking and rebook.

4) I have read about Vibe and Haven upgrades. Is that something I should be cognizant of? Sounds like it's more or less a crap shoot from reading here, but given enough advance?

Disregard these things.

To bid on a Havens, you need to be in a balcony or above. You need to bid at at least $1500 per person to get a basic Havens room (based on availability). 80ish havens rooms with 2000ish non-havens rooms bidding. For the Vibe, unless you have priority boarding, low chance of getting a pass. 100 passes. 4500 passengers.

5) Any other things I should pre order, purchase or sign up for? 13 months is a long time...

No. The real action starts 90 days prior to cruise when dinner and show reservations open.

6) I believe the answer is yes, but is the Escape suitable for two small children 6 and 1?

Yes. There are children's programs (Splash Academy) for children from 3 months to 17 years old.

Thanks, really appreciate it...

Enjoy the Escape and Bermuda (we just got back from Bermuda on the Breakaway).

(1) I book through a local travel agency that has been in business for over 70 years. My agent has worked there 51 years. He handles everything, the cruise, hotels, flights and insurance.

(2) I currently have four cruises booked. The last one is November 2018,

(3) I book only what I can afford at the time of the booking. I only use the room to sleep, shower and change clothes. If you think you will spend a lot of time in your room, then book what you think you may need.

(4) Yes, The Escape is a great ship for kids.

Mostly importantly relax and enjoy this time with your family.

For a popular cruise (like a summer cruise to Bermuda), book far in advance. That is the only NCL ship with childcare for toddlers, but I don't think it has a splash area for diapered kids (a rare feature for cruise ships). To get passes for Vibe, you need to be in one of the first boarding groups. Spa passes are much easier to purchase (but twice as expensive).