UK credit card fees

Finally! It seems that as of 2018 it will not be legal for companies to impose the extra ~2.5% for the privilege of using a credit card! These rip off surprise charges have been imposed for years and can be up to 20% of the amount charged. Travel agents that I have either used or been aware of have been charging 2.5%.

Every little bit helps. So wait if you can and book that cruise in January and you'll save a few ££!

But Celebrity UK don't charge credit card fees now.

Useful to know, last time I paid a balance on a cruise they were in force and so have always paid using my debit card instead. I hadn't realised that they had stopped prior to today's announcement 😁

Useful to know, last time I paid a balance on a cruise they were in force and so have always paid using my debit card instead. I hadn't realised that they had stopped prior to today's announcement 😁

To the best of my knowledge booking direct in UK with X has never incurred any CC charges. They actually point that out when you book.

Finally! It seems that as of 2018 it will not be legal for companies to impose the extra ~2.5% for the privilege of using a credit card! These rip off surprise charges have been imposed for years and can be up to 20% of the amount charged. Travel agents that I have either used or been aware of have been charging 2.5%.

Every little bit helps. So wait if you can and book that cruise in January and you'll save a few ££!

While I agree fully with your sentiments, we have NEVER been charged a surcharge for paying Celebrity by credit card and we have been booking direct with Celebrity since 2006.

While I agree fully with your sentiments, we have NEVER been charged a surcharge for paying Celebrity by credit card and we have been booking direct with Celebrity since 2006.

Could you advise what if any upsides there are to booking with Celebrity direct?

Have always booked with a TA

Could you advise what if any upsides there are to booking with Celebrity direct?

Initially I booked direct with Celebrity, just because I wasn't charged a C.C fee.

They also don't want the final payment until 8 weeks prior to sailing( I was finding some TAs were saying 12/14/16 weeks before for sailing)

Normally in U.K. we can't swap and change cabins. I have done it x2 by booking direct. About 9 weeks before our March 2013 sailing, 2A cabins became available. I rang Celebrity and asked for one, but was told they were for new bookings only. I told the agar that none were available when we booked in Sept 2012, so she put me on hold. When she returned she said I can do better than that there is a 1A for less than you paid. Our total refund was £492 for the new cabin.

In June 2013 I again upgraded our room 2A on Infinity to FV as they weren't selling to families.

However, recently I have used a TA, as I have eventually found one that has given us a reduction ( the previous one I used emailed Celebrity, rather than phone them, so alterations that I asked for were over by the time a reply was sent)

This new TA also stated that we didn't need to pay until 8 weeks before sailing date.

It is more that few, if any, British TAs add any value. Booking direct with Celebrity (and keeping up to date with news on Cruise Critic) enables me to understand how they and their systems work and ensures that I keep on top of my bookings. I just do not trust a TA to be as vigilant. I would hate to have to try to sort out issues working through a middleman.

It is more that few, if any, British TAs add any value. Booking direct with Celebrity (and keeping up to date with news on Cruise Critic) enables me to understand how they and their systems work and ensures that I keep on top of my bookings. I just do not trust a TA to be as vigilant. I would hate to have to try to sort out issues working through a middleman.

That's an interesting perspective. Thank you