saver fares

dan dan

having just booked a saver fare I was disappointed to find that I could not even make a preference to dinning time. Because of my health dinning at 8pm is just too late so visits to the Britannia may be very few. Plus additional costs for shuttle buses.

Although disappointed I was explained this at the time of booking so one takes a choice. But this led me to thinking , how long before saver fares have to pay a cover charge for Britannia, or to use the gym , room service, etc.

I hope Cunard do not continue this trend Ryan air style ,,

having just booked a saver fare I was disappointed to find that I could not even make a preference to dinning time. Because of my health dinning at 8pm is just too late so visits to the Britannia may be very few. Plus additional costs for shuttle buses.

Although disappointed I was explained this at the time of booking so one takes a choice. But this led me to thinking , how long before saver fares have to pay a cover charge for Britannia, or to use the gym , room service, etc.

It's all aimed at putting people off booking a saver fare, but does not work. I hope you get early sitting, but if not although say you can't change, it's worth asking.

When offered choice standard fare or saver fare when booking some decide saving money above preferred dining time. Just as you have done. Which your choice of course looking at two alternatives on offer. We all make choices in life.

As alternative next time book standard fare and your concerns about dining times and shuttle bus costs vanish. I dont believe that Ryan Air offer full service option so comparisons may be unfair in my opinion. Cunard do offer choice saver or full fare so people can choose which suits them best. Saving money or getting selection etc. Are you complaining that you were given choice?

Cheers.

Edited by sfb

What exactly is a "Save Fare"?

We like to take lots and lots of cruises so we are always looking for great deals. If I can find a Cunard or Princess cruise for about $1,700 for 14 days in a balcony, I will go for it, especially if we get extra OBC. Is that a Saver Fare or just a good deal?

There have never been any restrictions applied to any of our cruises no matter how inexpensive they have been.

We like to take lots and lots of cruises so we are always looking for great deals. If I can find a Cunard or Princess cruise for about $1,700 for 14 days in a balcony, I will go for it, especially if we get extra OBC. Is that a Saver Fare or just a good deal?

There have never been any restrictions applied to any of our cruises no matter how inexpensive they have been.

A Saver fare is one of the three grades of fares offered to passengers in the UK

The Cunard Fare

The Cunard Fare offers flexibility, value and peace of mind. For cruises of seven nights or more, you can choose from one of the following complimentary benefits:

On board spending money

or, car parking in Southampton

or, return coach travel to Southampton

or, airport parking on selected Fly-Cruises

or, regional flights

or, hotel stays

These benefits are subject to availability and are per booking, not per person.

With our Cunard Fare prices shuttle buses will be offered free of charge in ports where they are provided by Cunard Line.

By booking the Cunard Fare on any cruise, you will also be able to choose your precise stateroom type, location and number, including three and four berth staterooms.

Passengers in Britannia Staterooms have a choice of Early or Late Seating for dinner.

With the Cunard Fare, you can make amendments or even change your cruise entirely up to 90 days prior to departure, subject to our booking conditions.

When booking, you will only be required to pay a 15% deposit

Early Saver

Our Early Saver fares offer a reduced fare with some benefits

Available on selected cruises, at selected times

Available on selected grades of stateroom (we’ll assign your stateroom number)

Second priority for dining - Britannia passengers can submit their dining preference prior to boarding, allocation will be confirmed on boarding.

15% deposit

Flexibility to change your booking (subject to our booking conditions)

Saver Fare

Saver Fares require a 100% deposit at the time of booking and are subject to a 100% cancellation fee.

No amendments are permitted once booked; any amendment will be treated as a cancellation.

Bookings are made at the relevant stateroom type and a stateroom number is allocated by Cunard prior to departure.

Dinner seating as allocated on board.

Shuttle buses in ports are an additional cost.

Saver Fares apply to new bookings only. These terms and conditions vary, where relevant, the applicable booking conditions which are otherwise unchanged.

I don't think they are offered to clients from USA.

David.

having just booked a saver fare I was disappointed to find that I could not even make a preference to dinning time. ,,

Well, if you needed to be certain about dinner seating you should have booked the Cunard fare. As you say you knew this at the time of booking.............

David.

Only things to add to Ray's reply:

If you have bought a future cruise deposit, you can use it with the Cunard and Early Saver fare but not with the Saver fare.

Solo travellers pay a 75% supplement on Cunard and Early fares but 100% on the Saver fare.

To give an example of how the lowest balcony (CA) fares compare:

V420 Western Med dep 23 Nov 14 nights

Cunard fare £1350 to £1550

Early varied between £1050 and £1150

Saver fare £1050 and £900

All fares rounded and include all taxes and show how the fares have varied over time.

Dan Dan

Once Boarded and you find you have not received early dining, ask what time the Restaurant Manger will be in the Britannia Restaurant for altering tables/times etc. Usually about 2.30/3pm He will do his utmost to oblige you.

There are always people who have booked saver fares and not been given their preferred dining times and wish to change.

It is annoying but has been introduced because of the passengers moaning about paying the full fare against the cheaper fare.

Take for example the following scenario on a Round trip Transatlantic in November 2014

It is even more annoying when you pay as a single passenger and can get charged 200%

Then one has the option of Paying for a Cunard fare roundtrip Transatlantic £4278 ($6876) for Cunard Fare with the option to choose dining at time of booking or the Saver fare at £1998 ($3211) And try and change onboard . I know what I would do. That is a $3665 (£2280) supplement just to specify what time dining you want at time of booking !

Edited by Pennbank

When offered choice standard fare or saver fare when booking some decide saving money above preferred dining time. Just as you have done. Which your choice of course looking at two alternatives on offer. We all make choices in life.

As alternative next time book standard fare and your concerns about dining times and shuttle bus costs vanish. I dont believe that Ryan Air offer full service option so comparisons may be unfair in my opinion. Cunard do offer choice saver or full fare so people can choose which suits them best. Saving money or getting selection etc. Are you complaining that you were given choice?

Cheers.

I am not complaining, and as I said I knew the choices and made my choice in full knowledge, My reference to Ryan air was clearly not a direct comparison but a reference to the style of charging for extras from a cheaper starting point. The choice is to use other full price airlines. Unfortunately I did not make it obvious I was drawing attention to (for discussion) the more and more complex pricing schedules to fill cabins ,, many of which our US friends do not have the option to choose.

Dan Dan

Once Boarded and you find you have not received early dining, ask what time the Restaurant Manger will be in the Britannia Restaurant for altering tables/times etc. Usually about 2.30/3pm He will do his utmost to oblige you.

There are always people who have booked saver fares and not been given their preferred dining times and wish to change.

It is annoying but has been introduced because of the passengers moaning about paying the full fare against the cheaper fare.

Take for example the following scenario on a Round trip Transatlantic in November 2014

It is even more annoying when you pay as a single passenger and can get charged 200%

Then one has the option of Paying for a Cunard fare roundtrip Transatlantic £4278 ($6876) for Cunard Fare with the option to choose dining at time of booking or the Saver fare at £1998 ($3211) And try and change onboard . I know what I would do. That is a $3665 (£2280) supplement just to specify what time dining you want at time of booking !

Many thanks for the advice , I have always found the restaurant staff very helpful,, in fact all staff on board , so will ask if required.

Cunard seem to be going through all manner of contortions to avoid offering Saver fares in the Grills, where of course you can turn up for dinner whenever you like. Some cruises have had very susbstantial OBC on offer rather than drop the price.

You pays your money and you takes your choice.

Last year we saved £2000 booking a saver fare (or whatever it was called then). And you can get a hell of a lot of shuttle buses for £2000. We asked for second sitting and got it (but I think first sitting is more popular so you're less likely to get it if that is your preference). (Actually, we're had both early and late sitting and both are fine). I just looked at it this way: I know what I'm getting, and if I get anything more (sitting I want etc) then that's a bonus.

If there was a saving of around £400 ( $642 ) it would be worth taking the risk. In the worst case scenario you could use some of that saving to book alternative dining options for the whole cruise should you not get your preference in the Britannia. Even booking into the Verandah or Todd English for a whole week would only cost $175 ( £108 ).

I guess it comes down to personal preference and circumstances. I have never booked one myself as I like to choose my stateroom number and dining preference but I would not rule it out.

Early Saver

Our Early Saver fares offer a reduced fare with some benefits

Available on selected cruises, at selected times

Available on selected grades of stateroom (we’ll assign your stateroom number)

Second priority for dining - Britannia passengers can submit their dining preference prior to boarding, allocation will be confirmed on boarding.

15% deposit

Flexibility to change your booking (subject to our booking conditions)

Saver Fare

Saver Fares require a 100% deposit at the time of booking and are subject to a 100% cancellation fee.

No amendments are permitted once booked; any amendment will be treated as a cancellation.

Bookings are made at the relevant stateroom type and a stateroom number is allocated by Cunard prior to departure.

Dinner seating as allocated on board.

Shuttle buses in ports are an additional cost.

Saver Fares apply to new bookings only. These terms and conditions vary, where relevant, the applicable booking conditions which are otherwise unchanged.

Not listed here but the Early Saver also has to pay for any Shuttle Buses.

I did have issue with this on my cruise in September. I totally agree that if you choose a discounted fare you may not get everything that someone paying the full price might get. However, with most things if buy very early or very late, you get some form of discount, but still get all the benefits. Perhaps Cunard should offer the following fares:

Early saver - You get all the benefits and get a small discount for booking early.

Late saver - You get all the benefits and get a small discount for booking late. The downside would be less choice of state rooms and they might sell out.

Standard fare - You get all the benefits but waited until the early saver offer had ended.

Bargain bucket deal - Good discount but no choice of rooms, meal times etc. Pay for buses. You get to wear a t shirt anouncing that you saved a bundle.

Edited by Taz_1

Bargain bucket deal - Good discount but no choice of rooms, meal times etc. Pay for buses. You get to wear a t shirt anouncing that you saved a bundle.

I'm too kind to tell everyone my great deals once we're on the ship! I don't believe in promoting envy. ;)

I do, however, email my single friends when I find a good solo deal. The consequence of that is that there are 6 of us going on a cruise in November/December. Now I just have to work out how to share my time among them all if they don't get on well together.

We don't have the Cunard Fare/Saver Fare structure in the US, but late promotional deals tend to come with the same Saver fare restrictions: One doesn't get stateroom selection or preference of dining time and by then all tables for two had long since been allocated to those who paid "full freight". And rightly so. They should get advantages over those paying deeply discounted rates.

All of us make choices of best selection versus best price. Officially, Cunard does not change dining on the basis of a doctor's statement. You might join the long line on embarkation day and ask. They will try to accommodate you but if the ship is full it may not be possible.

As for what else "saver fares" might have to pay for in the future - who knows. Downward price pressure forces many businesses to look for more charge items. The many miscellaneous fees charged by US airlines is an example.

Edited by BlueRiband

You are right, we don't appear to have Saver Fares in the US and I have never noticed any restrictions on any fares I have purchased, and I always go for the great deals. I love a bargain, as long as it is a balcony bargain. :p

If there is a method to the pricing madness, it is beyond me, so I just keep my eyes open for great prices--around $100 to $120 pp per day in a balcony. I often seem to find those prices along with great OBC or Free Gratuities so I keep looking for them.

Often the price for the same cabin on the same itinerary will double or more from one sailing to another and I just don't understand that. Of course, it must have something to do with loads, but how can they predict months out that one sailing will be full and the next empty?

You are right, we don't appear to have Saver Fares in the US and I have never noticed any restrictions on any fares I have purchased, and I always go for the great deals. I love a bargain, as long as it is a balcony bargain. :p

If there is a method to the pricing madness, it is beyond me, so I just keep my eyes open for great prices--around $100 to $120 pp per day in a balcony. I often seem to find those prices along with great OBC or Free Gratuities so I keep looking for them.

Often the price for the same cabin on the same itinerary will double or more from one sailing to another and I just don't understand that. Of course, it must have something to do with loads, but how can they predict months out that one sailing will be full and the next empty?

Cunard seems to have some algorithm that analyzes booking demand for each subcategory. I've been following M424, a NY-Canada-NY 12 night voyage where prices were all over the map. At some points a P2 was $1 more than a balcony, balconies more than Britannia Club, and an ID inside more than a balcony.

I won't make any friends in the thread - somebody replied that it just doesn't make sense to pay more than necessary. But what does Saks Fifth Avenue do when customers buy "Designs by Bizaaro" only at clearance prices? They stop carrying the designer. Cunard will do the same to some itineraries when they cannot be sold at prices which make a profit. Next year an itinerary will be amended or dropped altogether.

You seem to be content with what deals you are able to book. What I often see here however is a complete disconnect from the principles of Economics 101: There are those who want deeply discounted fares but then complain of cutbacks and expect the same stateroom or dining choices offered to those paying much more.

Edited by BlueRiband

You seem to be content with what deals you are able to book. What I often see here however is a complete disconnect from the principles of Economics 101: There are those who want deeply discounted fares but then complain of cutbacks and expect the same stateroom or dining choices offered to those paying much more.

So true. In fact those paying much more really don't get that much extra really.

I wonder what the ship would be like if everyone paid PunkiC's $100?

David.

Cunard seems to have some algorithm that analyzes booking demand for each subcategory. I've been following M424, a NY-Canada-NY 12 night voyage where prices were all over the map. At some points a P2 was $1 more than a balcony, balconies more than Britannia Club, and an ID inside more than a balcony.

I won't make any friends in the thread - somebody replied that it just doesn't make sense to pay more than necessary. But what does Saks Fifth Avenue do when customers buy "Designs by Bizaaro" only at clearance prices? They stop carrying the designer. Cunard will do the same to some itineraries when they cannot be sold at prices which make a profit. Next year an itinerary will be amended or dropped altogether.

I was watching those prices for that October Canadian leaf peeper voyage and scratching my head trying to figure out what the heck they were doing. At one point the balcony prices were so low, and the benefits so good, that I almost booked the cruise, but then realized that, since we already had cruises scheduled for August, September, November and December, not to mention a ski trip in January and even more cruises in February and March of 2015, we had probably better stay home and prepare our garden for winter and spring. About the only thing I like better than cruising is digging in the dirt. ;)

We have way too much fun when we travel to waste time complaining about much of anything. We are just thrilled that we have been able to travel so many places and see so many wonderful things in this great big beautiful world. Since we want to go pretty much everywhere and have no particular order in mind, we just wait until we spot a great bargain, check to see if we can get first or business class award air travel, and, if we can, go for it as soon as we see it. Before we retired, we owned our own business and paid for everything we possibly could on credit cards, building up millions of miles and hotel points which we called our FlyRA. It works for us.

Hopefully, there are enough people who pay the big bucks to keep the cruise lines afloat while we enjoy the great bargains. :)

Hopefully, there are enough people who pay the big bucks to keep the cruise lines afloat while we enjoy the great bargains. :)

I certainly hope this too, but I think it's best not to rub their noses in it. I now try to say as little as possible about the great bargains I've found in the past because I don't want to spoil the happiness of others who have not managed to find such a good deal, or who have life/family constraints that cause them to need to book way ahead.

My advice (which I am trying to follow now) would be: The only times to mention great bargains are in posts that tell others WHERE to look for them (but don't mention how low a price you've paid in the past), or posts to alert others to a bargain that has just come up (and in that case name the price).

I certainly hope this too, but I think it's best not to rub their noses in it. I now try to say as little as possible about the great bargains I've found in the past because I don't want to spoil the happiness of others who have not managed to find such a good deal, or who have life/family constraints that cause them to need to book way ahead.

My advice (which I am trying to follow now) would be: The only times to mention great bargains are in posts that tell others WHERE to look for them (but don't mention how low a price you've paid in the past), or posts to alert others to a bargain that has just come up (and in that case name the price).

Of course, you are right. We once booked a New Year's Eve cruise so we could sail with friends and the price was outrageous. It was, however, worth it to be with people we enjoyed so much.

We do what we have to do.

I don't think they are offered to clients from USA.

David.

The close equivalent in The USA is called a flash fare. It's usually less than 90 days from sailing and you pay in full and can't get any OBC (except military or carnival shareholder) and you can't use a "future cruise credit or onboard booking" or whatever it is called. They trot them out regularly for some of the Eastern seaboard cruises or off peak transatlantics. Often a winter TA will be $599 for a balcony.