Downloading Books

mame42

I have a 3G Kindle and I was able to download for free without using wifi. Not sure how it would work by using wifi.

I just download everything I can before departure. Sometimes, one can't get a 3G signal. On my past few cruises, I don't even bring the kindle as I bring the ipad. I use the Kindle app on the ipad and read my books on that instead. I can't bring myself to bring two devices with me.

On a 30 day cruise, I thought I had downloaded plenty of books before we left. But I finished them quicker than I thought I would, so decided to try a download while in the middle of the Pacific.

No problem. It actually was very quick. I was pleasantly surprised. I think the secret is to choose a time when you figure there will be few people using the internet.

I was using my Kindle App on my iPad. It worked well.

Don't even try when at sea, but when in any Port ,3G or similar, [that takes over ,] works very well, we have downloaded in far flung places like Vladivostok, it is a modern world, always good to stock up before you leave but if required, books are very available...where ever you are.Norway far reaches, have limited coverage ,curvature of the earth and things and the Fjords, but Amazon has it covered. Mostly everywhere... Enjoy..!!

On a 30 day cruise, I thought I had downloaded plenty of books before we left. But I finished them quicker than I thought I would, so decided to try a download while in the middle of the Pacific.

No problem. It actually was very quick. I was pleasantly surprised. I think the secret is to choose a time when you figure there will be few people using the internet.

I was using my Kindle App on my iPad. It worked well.

I usually stock up also, but on my last cruise several successive days of inclement weather put a large dent in my library. However, several of the cruise terminals had free wifi from which to replenish. Unfortunately, I cannot confirm that a similar service will be available at any of the ports on my upcoming 42 day cruise.

I may try it at sea around 5 AM.

We have older Kindles with built-in Whispernet. We can download books anywhere where we can get a signal - and we have used this feature sailing everywhere in the world. Have found some great new-to-us authors in talking with passengers plus we are fairly fast readers so quite often want to upload new books. Best part is that the Whispernet does not use our internet minutes. When we told a fellow passenger this, we later found out he went home, bought an older Kindle on ebay, attached it to his account and moved the books he wanted over before his next cruise as he also is a fast reader and is never quite sure if he will need new books.

Sometimes older is better (she says tongue in cheek).

Terri

We have older Kindles with built-in Whispernet. We can download books anywhere where we can get a signal - and we have used this feature sailing everywhere in the world. Have found some great new-to-us authors in talking with passengers plus we are fairly fast readers so quite often want to upload new books. Best part is that the Whispernet does not use our internet minutes. When we told a fellow passenger this, we later found out he went home, bought an older Kindle on ebay, attached it to his account and moved the books he wanted over before his next cruise as he also is a fast reader and is never quite sure if he will need new books.

Sometimes older is better (she says tongue in cheek).

Terri

I don't disagree with you but wanted to advise that Amazon is currently selling 3G Kindles that allow downloading over the 3G cell network for FREE.

I have a Nook. Does anyone have any direct experience with a Nook?
Yes. Neither I nor the Internet Manager could figure out how to enter a username and password to log onto the ship system. Or I couldn't, and he didn't want to bother trying. He just said he didn't know anything about Nooks. I had to wait until we got to a port with free wifi. (This was with a Nook Simple Touch ... wifi only) Edited by jtl513

Yes. Neither I nor the Internet Manager could figure out how to enter a username and password to log onto the ship system. Or I couldn't, and he didn't want to bother trying. He just said he didn't know anything about Nooks. I had to wait until we got to a port with free wifi. (This was with a Nook Simple Touch ... wifi only)

I had no trouble accessing the ship's system with my Nook on either the NCL Sun or the Maasdam.

The Nook was a gift, not my personal choice, but since I have it, I use it.

I have the new Samsung/Nook tablet and I've downloaded close to 25 books for our upcoming TA. I also have a couple downloaded from our library's ebook collection. They expire after 2 weeks but I doubt I will be online much at all so I should be able to read them as well.

BTW, after researching until my head nearly exploded, I bought my first Nook, now long out of action. Although I dearly love Amazon, I didn't want to be tied to their content. Even on my oldest Nook, I could download from libraries all over.

I had no trouble accessing the ship's system with my Nook on either the NCL Sun or the Maasdam.

The Nook was a gift, not my personal choice, but since I have it, I use it.

On the Maasdam how did you enter your username and password to get connected? Maybe you have a more advanced model than DW's Simple Touch. (also a gift)

Since in your first post you are asking about downloading, I presume you weren't doing that. What were you doing when you were "accessing the ship's system"?

Edited by jtl513

On the Maasdam how did you enter your username and password to get connected? Maybe you have a more advanced model than DW's Simple Touch. (also a gift)

Since in your first post you are asking about downloading, I presume you weren't doing that. What were you doing when you were "accessing the ship's system"?

After I purchased my internet package, the system appeared on my Nook wifi settings menu. Tapping the name brought up the login page. I used it for CC, Facebook, email, reading newspapers, and weather info. In other words, everything I would have used my laptop for.

I have the new Samsung/Nook tablet and I've downloaded close to 25 books for our upcoming TA. I also have a couple downloaded from our library's ebook collection. They expire after 2 weeks but I doubt I will be online much at all so I should be able to read them as well.

BTW, after researching until my head nearly exploded, I bought my first Nook, now long out of action. Although I dearly love Amazon, I didn't want to be tied to their content. Even on my oldest Nook, I could download from libraries all over.

Please let me know how the Samsung works out. I have a Nook HD Color tablet, but I am seriously considering upgrading to the Samsung.

Tapping the name brought up the login page.
Thanks. :) You must have a more advanced model Nook than DW has. On the ship I never saw a login page. On my home network all I can do is download books from Barnes&Noble. Apparently it doesn't have a browser, because when I tap the network name the only option it offers is "Forget". To get books from the public library I have to download them onto my computer and then copy them to the Nook via a USB connection. :( Hers only cost something like $70 when our daughter gave it to her.

Edited by jtl513

Took some getting used to but I love it now. Much easier to borrow from the library and much faster. I'm writing this on a bus on our way to New York and our TA cruise so forgive the poor syntax.

You won't be sorry with the Samsung Nook.

I have a Kindle. I download more books than I can possibly read before I leave on a cruise. Some I get from the library. There is a limit but right now I'm not sure what it is. I turn on my wifi, download from the library and then turn wifi off. Books from library don't go away until you turn wifi back on. I have them for my entire trip as I have no need to turn the wifi back on.

I have a Kindle. I download more books than I can possibly read before I leave on a cruise. Some I get from the library. There is a limit but right now I'm not sure what it is. I turn on my wifi, download from the library and then turn wifi off. Books from library don't go away until you turn wifi back on. I have them for my entire trip as I have no need to turn the wifi back on.

Thats a clever way to keep them!