Change of amenities: Quercus products to replace Gilchrist & Soames

Salacia

I wouldn't be too worried about sulphates it the parabens that are in the hot spot right now; increasing evidence that parabens are a component in causing breast cancer. Parabens are widely used in the cosmetic industry.

:cool:

I asked about the sulfates because it strips the color out of color treated hair. It took me years to figure out why I would start out in Brooklyn with great hair and arrive in Southampton 3 shades lighter. :)

One might ask! Does it really matter as they replace the empty ones anyway

We have sailed often over the last 10 years and use only various ships products since we bring what we need. The one time I asked for more lotion.....it was treated as if I was asking for something exceptional. Go figure.:)

reduction in size of bottles of acker from full to half, amongst other things.
The last time i was given a half bottle of Pol Acker was in 2010. Full bottles since.

It mixes with orange juice for an acceptable mimosa so I don't mind. :)

The one time I asked for more lotion.....it was treated as if I was asking for something exceptional.
A year ago at Christmas I happened to look under the bed and found a box full of mixed toiletries - soap, shampoo, lotion. My new routine is to check under the bed at the start of the cruise and not just the end. :)

A year ago at Christmas I happened to look under the bed and found a box full of mixed toiletries - soap, shampoo, lotion. My new routine is to check under the bed at the start of the cruise and not just the end. :)

I, now, always check under the bed. A few years ago I found a suitcase. I assumed that they bought new "designer" luggage in the Caribbean and left theirs behind. I also have to assume that they really don't vacuum under the bed. :D

I, now, always check under the bed. A few years ago I found a suitcase. I assumed that they bought new "designer" luggage in the Caribbean and left theirs behind. I also have to assume that they really don't vacuum under the bed. :D

They dont vaccum a lot under the beds, you can find alsorts under them, nor do they clean around the art work on the walls or behind the TV :)

and once on QE I found someones medication left in a draw at the side of the bed

Likely another cost-cutting measure. Like the half-size chocolates and reduction in size of bottles of acker from full to half, amongst other things.

One stroll through the Penhaligon's shop in Covent Gardens would convince anyone that changing the toiletries from Gilchrest & Soames to Penhaligon's is anything but, "another cost cutting measure."

One stroll through the Penhaligon's shop in Covent Gardens would convince anyone that changing the toiletries from Gilchrest & Soames to Penhaligon's is anything but, "another cost cutting measure."

I would not see a tourist trap's pricing as a reference.

I would not see a tourist trap's pricing as a reference.

Penhaligon's might be seen as a tourist trap to some, but it's a trap which holds two Royal Warrants and has some beautiful products. I use their Lily of the Valley hand cream and look forward to sampling the 'Quercus' range on my next cruise.

Penhaligon's might be seen as a tourist trap to some, but it's a trap which holds two Royal Warrants and has some beautiful products. I use their Lily of the Valley hand cream and look forward to sampling the 'Quercus' range on my next cruise.

I haven't commented on the quality of the brand or product. Only on my view of any shop at Covent Garden.

Also I havo no idea of the cost of two Royal Warrants . I do not wish to know what brand our president uses to improve his appearance :rolleyes:

Soap changes don't really bother me. On my first cruise on QM2 the cabin steward gave me a nice box with additional G and S bottles in it and I actually took it home and gave it as a gift to someone. :eek: They loved it thought it was great. If they put wall mounted soap dispensers in, that would be low class in my opinion because of course I do have them in my home shower. :p

The thing that worries me is the change from Coke to Pepsi. Has anyone seen the recent 4-MeI levels found in Pepsi products by Consumers Reports? Not too sure I would be drinking them until they sort that all out. ??

Here is a link to the story.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2014/01/caramel-color-the-health-risk-that-may-be-in-your-soda/index.htm

I haven't commented on the quality of the brand or product. Only on my view of any shop at Covent Garden.

Also I havo no idea of the cost of two Royal Warrants . I do not wish to know what brand our president uses to improve his appearance :rolleyes:

I don't recall saying you did make a reference to the quality of Penhaligon's goods, just a tourist trap comment. I wanted to reassure you just because a shop is in Covent Garden doesn't mean the products are automatically overpriced tourist tat. Royalty must buy as two warrants have been given and I along with many others use a couple of the products too. Now it seems, passengers on Cunard have a chance to sample the wares. It will be interesting to read any comments.

I've been using Penhaligon's Blenheim Bouquet cologne for several years now, and even buy the soap when I'm feeling particularly flush. Yes, it's an indulgence, but one that makes me smell nice.

For a while there, purchasing the eau de toilette here in the U.S. in dollars was a better deal than buying it in the U.K. for pounds; don't know it that's still true, but I'll be finding out soon as my supply is running low. At Penhaligon's own U.S. website the BB 50ml is $85 and the 100ml is $125, though it can be found for less at several online retailers. While I can see "sticker shock" being an issue at their Covent Garden location, the same prices in their Burlington Arcade store seem more in line with the rest of the goods offered by the various merchants. It's a case where context is everything!

Edited by Ken_W