Domestic 4 night cruise - Travel Insurance yay or nay?

I think it is safer, but it depends on whether you want to gamble or not. :D

Good point- I'm a terrible gambler so it probably will work against me to not have it haha. Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it!

I think we should get it, it's my Mum that needs convincing lol. She hasn't travelled anywhere in 15 years so travel insurance is a bit of a new concept to her.

A definate yes from me:)

One night, four nights, anything could happen and you will not be covered for medical or evacuation.

Could cost you a lot more than a four night cruise!

We took out cover for 5 of us on a 3 night cruise, best $135 I ever spent.

I only covered us for medical on the ship, as the cruise was cheap and we were not flying etc and only hand luggage.

Never take a chance on medical on a cruise ship.

If you take out travel insurance you will not need it. If you don't take it out you will need it.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Ain't that the truth,don't go without it is my advise

Cheers

[quote name=Sugarlift;53413638

I think we should get it' date=' it's my Mum that needs convincing lol. She hasn't travelled anywhere in 15 years so travel insurance is a bit of a new concept to her.[/quote]

I understand where you are coming from. My MIL who used to travel with never wanted travel insurance. She always said that she and her late husband never needed it. To be honest, they didn't know such a thing existed. Luckily, she had a Visa card that gave free travel insurance up to age 80 (I think it was 80). When she passed that age and refused to pay for travel insurance we said "Sorry. We won't travel with you and take the responsibility." We knew it would have fallen on us.

Your Mum may not know that, even though it is a domestic cruise, the medical centre on board is not covered by Medicare.

I don't know if you have already booked the cruise and whether you paid by credit card. If so you may be covered.

I don't know if you have already booked the cruise and whether you paid by credit card. If so you may be covered.

You'll want to check the PDS for credit card travel insurance, in particular the exclusions from the policy. I recall a post here recently where the poster thought they could rely on this. Turns out it was a bit of a nightmare for them.

Most credit cards like ANZ or Westpac insurance cover only overseas travel. Check out the policy.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Correct, our ANZ CC does not cover domestic, the cruise must have an interational port.

I look at it as they say "if you can't afford insurance, you can't afford to travel". Personally having had to claim on insurance under extremely unexpected circumstances I will never go without.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Most credit cards like ANZ or Westpac insurance cover only overseas travel. Check out the policy.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That is definitely the case for my CC insurance, no coverage for domestic cruises.

Thanks everyone - we have definitely decided to go with getting travel insurance (convinced Mum it's better to have it and not need it than be without it and needing it!).

I've had it on my last 2 cruises, so I'm all for it.

Way better to be safe than sorry!

1. Cost of travel insurance for such a short trip will be very affordable v. the costs of unexpected that could set you back.

2. Used to buy travel insurance for only peak season travel but with cruising its always peak season because of the shear mass of people descending on the departure port--delays, missed flights, weather, etc. so now buy for all cruises. GENERALI Travel Insurance website has the most affordable plans and any residency can be input (for non US buyers). Worked for us http://www.generalitravelinsurance.com

I had to talk my Mum into travel insurance last year. She kept saying "I've been traveling for over 50yrs and never needed it before! "

I'm not an anxious person, but told her I didn't want the responsibility of sorting everything out if she was ill, when she could pay less than $150 to have someone else sort it out.

Ended up she needed to see the doctor on board and it cost way more than $150.

She won't leave home without it now! Lol

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

I had to talk my Mum into travel insurance last year. She kept saying "I've been traveling for over 50yrs and never needed it before! "

I'm not an anxious person, but told her I didn't want the responsibility of sorting everything out if she was ill, when she could pay less than $150 to have someone else sort it out.

Ended up she needed to see the doctor on board and it cost way more than $150.

She won't leave home without it now! Lol

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

Apart from maybe a sea sickness jab, I don't think anything is less than $150 in the medical bay.

GENERALI Travel Insurance website has the most affordable plans and any residency can be input (for non US buyers). Worked for us www.generalitravelinsurance.com

I don't quite understand this - looked at it and says for residents of the USA. Are you saying that non residents can take the insurance?

Asking as I am travelling with a friend who's mum is 100 years old and so my friend is not covered if anything happens to mum and she either has to cancel her trip or come home early.

Have hunted high and low in Australia and not found any company prepared for cover for cancellation - which is really quite understandable, but if there is a company she will definately look into taking it.