Russia Visa Question

We just booked on the Constellation next May. We have 2 full days in StPetersburg. I reviewed the itineraries of all the major tour groups that people have used here. And, I'm exhausted! My husband and I aren't the type of people who want to go, go, go. We like a little history, then find a nice cafe in square and watch locals. Maybe meet locals. There are some obvious things that I feel I would be remiss for not seeing (hermitage). But my question is on the VISA. If we would like to do a private tour for maybe 1/2 day then go to the Russian Standard distillery, would be without a VISA? That is, if we just asked the tour operator to drop us off so we can tool around and get ourselves back to the ship.

I understand that this is probably best suited for the tour operator to answer. I thought I could find out a definately yes or no before I start to work with them.

We just booked on the Constellation next May. We have 2 full days in StPetersburg. I reviewed the itineraries of all the major tour groups that people have used here. And, I'm exhausted! My husband and I aren't the type of people who want to go, go, go. We like a little history, then find a nice cafe in square and watch locals. Maybe meet locals. There are some obvious things that I feel I would be remiss for not seeing (hermitage). But my question is on the VISA. If we would like to do a private tour for maybe 1/2 day then go to the Russian Standard distillery, would be without a VISA? That is, if we just asked the tour operator to drop us off so we can tool around and get ourselves back to the ship.

I understand that this is probably best suited for the tour operator to answer. I thought I could find out a definately yes or no before I start to work with them.

We used TJ Travel and they as well as many other private companies will also do a much more "relaxed" private tour that can be tailored to exactly what you want...However "no" guide & driver will just drop you off to be on your own...You are under their blanket visa and they are responsible...You do of course have the option of getting your own visa..Try checking your roll call and you may find some other travelers looking to do a similar tour....Enjoy however you decide to see this amazing city !!!

No, you cannot leave the tour, do your own thing and make your own way back to the ship on your own. You would no longer be covered by the tour company's block visa. If you want to visit the distillery, you will either have to ask the tour company if it can arrange a tailor-made private tour to include a distillery visit or you will have to get your own visa.

We love the Connie and St. Petersburg so we did a TA on the Connie.

Transatlantic09Joe028.jpg

Transatlantic09Joe012.jpg

And a post cruise stay in Petersburg. Yes you will need a Visa to roam

around . Our Visa cost $286 , private guide/driver and translator $25 an

hour, and apartments as low as $100 a night. We stayed a week in May

2009. A dual-entry Visa would cover the cruise and a post-cruise stay.

We had dinner with a Russian artist and his wife twice who we now count

as friends. When we rode the helicopter, they let me sit in the pilots seat for pictures. We also had missle launchers park outside our apartment.

The WWII Vet we met at a local pub owned by an American. It's had to do so much in 2 days , so we recomend a stay.

Europe09366.jpg

Europe09Pat304.jpg

Europe09348.jpg

On July 6 the Russian Duma will vote on a 3 year Tourist Visa instead of

the current 30 day. We hope we answered your question. We visited friends

in Westminister-Beautiful. Hope the fires aren't affecting you.

The solution to your issue would be to book a private 2 person tour (just your and your hubby) with any of the suggested tour operators. It is pricey yes, but then you can tailor it to go anywhere, and do anything your heart desires. A less expensive solution would be to book an "easy" tour, with the smallest group you can afford.

A "tour" to qualify for immigration law purposes can be anything as long as there is supervision by an authorized tour company. If you intend to just roam around and not going for guiding in museums or palaces, it does not even need to be a tour guide, just a representative of the company. Based on this, you could create a walking tour that used all public transportation, of book a car, driver and guide and create your own activities on the fly. That method would be about $200 for 1/2 day or should be about $350 for full day which is a lot lower cost than close to $300 per person for visas alone. You could do that in the evening also.

Regarding the 3 year Tourist Visa rumor, it is not true. There was an agreement by both country's presidents last year to lower barriers to travel but it has stalled by the US congress and is not likely to ease restrictions on Russian visitors to the US. The proposed 3 year visa is a Business Visa, not Tourist Visa.

Countries that have lowered barriers for Russians to visit have gotten relaxed or visa free entry into Russia immediately upon lowering their own restrictions.

There are a number of countries whose citizens do not need any visa to visit Russia.

The photo of the two men, one in a uniform, the other is the American named Douglas, who had the Other Side cafe/bar. He had a hard year in the time the road was closed to rebuild it into the show place it is now, so sold his share and it is now a Spanish cuisine restaurant pub. He has been here for many years, since the middle 1990s. The Other Side was a gathering place for all nations, a popular socializing spot for locals and ex-pats for a number of years.

A "tour" to qualify for immigration law purposes can be anything as long as there is supervision by an authorized tour company. If you intend to just roam around and not going for guiding in museums or palaces, it does not even need to be a tour guide, just a representative of the company. Based on this, you could create a walking tour that used all public transportation, of book a car, driver and guide and create your own activities on the fly. That method would be about $200 for 1/2 day or should be about $350 for full day which is a lot lower cost than close to $300 per person for visas alone. You could do that in the evening also.

Regarding the 3 year Tourist Visa rumor, it is not true. There was an agreement by both country's presidents last year to lower barriers to travel but it has stalled by the US congress and is not likely to ease restrictions on Russian visitors to the US. The proposed 3 year visa is a Business Visa, not Tourist Visa.

Countries that have lowered barriers for Russians to visit have gotten relaxed or visa free entry into Russia immediately upon lowering their own restrictions.

There are a number of countries whose citizens do not need any visa to visit Russia.

The photo of the two men, one in a uniform, the other is the American named Douglas, who had the Other Side cafe/bar. He had a hard year in the time the road was closed to rebuild it into the show place it is now, so sold his share and it is now a Spanish cuisine restaurant pub. He has been here for many years, since the middle 1990s. The Other Side was a gathering place for all nations, a popular socializing spot for locals and ex-pats for a number of years.

I only know what I read in the paper. I trusted the article's veracity.

http://www.themoscowtimes.com/news/article/duma-to-vote-on-us-visa-deal-in-july/460924.html

Where do we get a "suggested list of tour operators" - Thanks, leaving July 9- Tracy

This coming July 9th?? :eek:

Crank up your computer, Tracy, you don't have a moment to lose.

Alla Tours, SPBTours, TJ Tours, Best Guides, DenRus, Red October Tours. Google them.There are others too. They all have e-mail addresses, but bear in mind time differences, it takes up to 24 hours to get a reply.

In order to go through immigration in St P's, you will need to present tour tickets which will be e-mailed to you when booked, & you print off . That's so much easier done at home, though it can be done on-the-run at an internet cafe at an earlier port-of-call. Or on the ship, if you're a millionaire.

Fortunately this is a visa-waiver arrangement, If it were a true "group visa" you might already have been too late.

You are definately too late to apply for a personal visa, to go ashore in St P you will have to take a pre-booked tour, with either the ship or one of those accredited tour operators

chop, chop

JB :)

Where do we get a "suggested list of tour operators" - Thanks, leaving July 9- Tracy

Wow, just around the corner. We have used Denrus in the past. They have an US phone (FL) number 3:00am-11:00am EST. (561)459-5534.

Their tours are at www.denrus.ru They are pretty quick to respond. Good luck.

Have a great trip. :)

Hi neighbor! :)

We are also booked on the Constellation in May. Are you doing the TA as well?

jill

I only know what I read in the paper. I trusted the article's veracity.

http://www.themoscowtimes.com/news/article/duma-to-vote-on-us-visa-deal-in-july/460924.html

Interesting. I read another article in addition to the one listed above and it specifically stated:

..."eligible business travelers and tourists would be issued visas valid for 36 months at a unified and reciprocal fee. “I think that in two months maximum we will sign an agreement to issue new multiple entry visas for three years."

http://russianreport.wordpress.com/2011/06/04/finding-common-ground-on-a-3-year-visa-regime/

Looks like there is some type of reciprocal deal in the works. Would be nice.

If you contact SPB tours, make sure you mention Cruise Critic. They go out of their way to help Cruise Critic folks. Anthony, the manager, and Vika, the owner speak and write impeccable English. If it is humanly possible, they will manage to get you into a group. A group of ten is best.

Thanks everyone for the info.

dogs4fun - what is a TA? Travel agent? Trip advisor?

yah man the prices to get your own visa is ridiculous! I guess I need to run numbers between the visa price and what a personal tour would be. I have a feeling it will be about equal for 2 people.

To the OP: In addition to the cost of visas, you will find that the application is unbelievably lengthy, detailed, and burdensome, e.g., list every organization you've given money to in the last 10 years, etc, etc.

Consider also that St. Petersburg poses entirely different difficulties for independent travelers compared to Western Europe. Can you read the Cyrillic alphabet? Will you be able to compare maps with street signs? We have virtually never used a guide or a tour in 40 years of traveling in Western Europe (a little Spanish, French, and Latin goes a long way) -- even in Greece, where English is widely spoken and most signage in the tourist areas is bilingual -- but we were thankful that we had to do it in SPB.

In addition, tourism is big business in SPB. The various venues (Hermitage, various palaces, cathedrals) are run for the convenience and benefit of the local tour operators and their clients. The wait times and lines for individuals at these places are huge, while the tour operators and their clients almost never have to wait at all. And to the extent there is signage or placarding in these venues (and there isn't much), it's in Russian, so without an English-speaking guide you don't have much information on what you're seeing.

As confirmed independent travelers, for SPB we strongly advise the (independent, not ship-organized) guided tour option.

Thanks everyone for the info.

dogs4fun - what is a TA? Travel agent? Trip advisor?

yah man the prices to get your own visa is ridiculous! I guess I need to run numbers between the visa price and what a personal tour would be. I have a feeling it will be about equal for 2 people.

TA = Transatlantic. :) We are on the Constellation from Miami to Amsterdam May 5th to May 20th. The ship then continues on to the baltics. Are you on the TA?

Archived