Bermuda Wifi At Dockyard

aussie cruzer

After seeing many conflicting posts about Wifi at the dockyard....I thought I'd post my recent experience on the Ncl Dawn last cruise to Bermuda for the summer season.

Wifi works fine on the Dawn if your in the right place........deck 7 outside overlooking the customs house has a perfect signal.

Buy your wifi pass at the dockyard in the upstairs office across from ferry....$15.99 for three days cash.

The wifi antenna is attached to the customs building and I walked out on deck 7 on the Dawn and had a perfect signal.

The signal in the dockyard was unreliable....but on the ship perfect.

Wifi attached to this building beside the ship.

USHoliday2014684_zps37542880.jpg

Wifi attached to building

USHoliday2014849_zps50e17c88.jpg

Signal great here.

088_zps7d14fd1f.jpg

Port Bermuda web cam .

USHoliday2014823_zpse03ab7ec.jpg

• 1 month later...

So I'm kind of confused. You are saying that you buy the wifi for the days you are there (for the $15.99) and then you can use the wifi while you are on the ship (as long as you are in an area that you can pick up a signal) but if you are on the dock you can't get a signal? :confused:

So I'm kind of confused. You are saying that you buy the wifi for the days you are there (for the $15.99) and then you can use the wifi while you are on the ship (as long as you are in an area that you can pick up a signal) but if you are on the dock you can't get a signal? :confused:

I think you're confusing "dock" with the "Dockyard". Wifi should be good right at the dock (you can see the hot spot antenna on the side of the terminal building in one of the pictures above), but may be spotty elsewhere in the Dockyard, which is a fairly large place.

I think you're confusing "dock" with the "Dockyard". Wifi should be good right at the dock (you can see the hot spot antenna on the side of the terminal building in one of the pictures above), but may be spotty elsewhere in the Dockyard, which is a fairly large place.

Oh ok. So "dockyard" is the surrounding area around the dock? Or.....?

I didn't say you can't get a signal....I said it's unreliable.:confused:

The signal around the dockyard (port area) is very unreliable....there are other wifi antenna in the dockyard area and Hamilton Etc included in Wifi pass.

The signal drops out a lot around the ferry terminal at the dockyard and Hamilton.

If you want to spend quality time on the internet......do it beside the ship as posted.

Wifi pass website

http://www.telebermuda.com/residential/wifi/

Oh ok. So "dockyard" is the surrounding area around the dock? Or.....?

The dockyard is actually the Royal Naval Dockyard, which has been redeveloped into a cruise ship terminal with two quays, Heritage Wharf and Kings Wharf, and a substantial number of other attractions and shopping. It's the main hub of the cruise industry in Bermuda, although some smaller ships still dock in Hamilton and St. George's. This brochure/map should give you an idea of what's there:

http://www.thewestend.bm/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/Brochure-Map-and-Info-20142.pdf

More information can be found at http://www.thewestend.bm .

Edited by njhorseman

I didn't say you can't get a signal....I said it's unreliable.:confused:

The signal around the dockyard (port area) is very unreliable....there are other wifi antenna in the dockyard area and Hamilton Etc included in Wifi pass.

The signal drops out a lot around the ferry terminal at the dockyard and Hamilton.

If you want to spend quality time on the internet......do it beside the ship as posted.

Wifi pass website

http://www.telebermuda.com/residential/wifi/

Sorry, when you say "unreliable" that means signal to me...as in sometimes it connects, sometimes it don't. I figured that's what you meant.

Thanks so much for the link to the wifi stuff.

Is it better to purchase this package or the ship wifi?

The dockyard is actually the Royal Naval Dockyard, which has been redeveloped into a cruise ship terminal with two quays, Heritage Wharf and Kings Wharf, and a substantial number of other attractions and shopping. It's the main hub of the cruise industry in Bermuda, although some smaller ships still dock in Hamilton and St. George's. This brochure/map should give you an idea of what's there:

http://www.thewestend.bm/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/Brochure-Map-and-Info-20142.pdf

More information can be found at www.thewestend.bm .

Thank you so much for the link with the map. That is awesome and one I haven't seen yet. That helps me understand what the "dockyard" means. I appreciate it. I will print it off and check in out...lots of planning to do. :D

Sorry, when you say "unreliable" that means signal to me...as in sometimes it connects, sometimes it don't. I figured that's what you meant.

Thanks so much for the link to the wifi stuff.

Is it better to purchase this package or the ship wifi?

Are you sailing the Breakaway or the Dawn ?

Even the staff from the ship gets the wifi plan from the Dockyard.

Some pax report that they got the wifi of the Dockyard on their balcony ( if the balcony was on the side of the Dockyard ) on deck 9 or 10 or from deck 7 ( outside of course ) without a problem. Some other pax reported that it was impossible to get any signal even on deck 7 facing the Dockyard.... it's unpredictable...

If I remember correctly on the Breakaway you can get a good deal on internet "MB" instead of "minutes" like on the Dawn. It would depend on what usage you think you will need in Bermuda...

Are you sailing the Breakaway or the Dawn ?

Even the staff from the ship gets the wifi plan from the Dockyard.

Some pax report that they got the wifi of the Dockyard on their balcony ( if the balcony was on the side of the Dockyard ) on deck 9 or 10 or from deck 7 ( outside of course ) without a problem. Some other pax reported that it was impossible to get any signal even on deck 7 facing the Dockyard.... it's unpredictable...

If I remember correctly on the Breakaway you can get a good deal on internet "MB" instead of "minutes" like on the Dawn. It would depend on what usage you think you will need in Bermuda...

We will be on the Dawn this time around. I know everyone complains about how slow the Internet is on the ships, but we just got off the Sun and the Sky and bought plans on both and thought it was super fast when we needed it. Definitely fast enough for us.

We won't be on it "a lot", but the hubby owns his own business and needs to check it daily to put in orders that came through. He spends about 1 hour a day on it usually in the evening. Of course if I had access, I would only use it for a good 15 minutes or so to check in back home and maybe upload an "envy" Bermuda picture for those back home. :D

We will be on the Dawn this time around. I know everyone complains about how slow the Internet is on the ships, but we just got off the Sun and the Sky and bought plans on both and thought it was super fast when we needed it. Definitely fast enough for us.

We won't be on it "a lot", but the hubby owns his own business and needs to check it daily to put in orders that came through. He spends about 1 hour a day on it usually in the evening. Of course if I had access, I would only use it for a good 15 minutes or so to check in back home and maybe upload an "envy" Bermuda picture for those back home. :D

Then I would think that the ship's wifi will be best because your husband and yourself will be able to use it all over the ship. The wifi from the Dockyard "might" only work on the dock itself...so may not be ideal for your husband.

Then I would think that the ship's wifi will be best because your husband and yourself will be able to use it all over the ship. The wifi from the Dockyard "might" only work on the dock itself...so may not be ideal for your husband.

Awesome. We will take that into consideration. I surely don't want to have to carry our laptop out to the dock just to use the Internet and then have to go back to the ship to put it back if we are doing something else that day or night.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks so much for posting about the $15.99 wifi package. We will be on Celebrity Summit the first week of June and I was just looking into getting a talk/text/data package (though I really only wanted the data portion) from my local cell provider and it's not worth the cost for how much I expect to use it. $16 is much more reasonable so I think I will go with that. Thanks again for the timely info!

Thank you 1025 Cruise. I don't have an international plan. Maybe I should call Verizon. Really just wanted to send a text to my husband that I got there.

I just called Verizon asking about this. You can get international calling turned on for free on your account (as opposed to purchasing the "bundle") and pay a-la carte for phone services.

From Bermuda, voice calls are $1.99 p/minute and text charges are $0.50 to send a message (per message) and $0.05 to receive a message (per message) using Verizon.

• 1 month later...

So bringing this thread back up to see if anyone has had any luck or experience with the package lately when going away from the dock at other hot spots...such as Gibbs Lighthouse or Tobacco Bay. Does it work pretty good there as well?

• 8 months later...
Thank you for the information and Links. :):):):cool::cool:

Is it $ 15.99 per device or can it be shared? For example' date=' can I use it on my iPad and my iPhone? ;)[/quote']

I_Luv_Cruisin' my girls shared the login for both their phones when we were there last June. They just had to do it one at a time. Worked out great for them to contact their boys back home. LOL

• 3 weeks later...