door decorating

gene g

Sadly, my door decor was stolen, not once but twice. I had some cool 3d suns and some flowers. Well, they were taken on the 1st night. So I took some inside decor we had and put that on the outside door. Same thing. My room steward said he knew who took it because he saw the decor in a room the other side of my floor. So I wrote a big note and attached that to my door. It said "YOU CAN STEAL MY DECOR BUT YOU CANT STEAL MY FUN". No one took that.

Wow such negativity. To each his own- we've had so many compliments from stewards AND passengers that we bring extra to share - yes that means MORE people with decorations! [emoji3][emoji3]. We are on vacay and are happy to be on it me want to spread joy to others. Yep we proudly get gaudy and were ok with that. It's a good thing you don't live in our neighborhood - you'd hate our Christmas yard decorations! [emoji8] have a great day! Here's one more - one of our first NYE cruises.

OK, I admit it, I'm typically what you might call your classic grumpy old man (although I'm really not that old :rolleyes:). But even I, in all my grumpiness, would get a kick out of seeing these door decorations. You go right ahead and keep spreading your cruise joy. We could use more of that these days. And the next time we're on a cruise, if I see a big ole gaudy (no offense) door decoration, I'm gonna knock and ask, "Chicacruiser, is that you?" We didn't see any on our cruise, but I wish we had. I'll surely consider doing it next time. And like I said above, Carnival themselves sells cabin decorations on their website, so it's not like they discourage it.

Because this is cruise critic and EVERYTHING becomes a debate.
I guess the name of the website is fitting. Everyone's a critic. ;) :D

A months ago Carnival put out specific guidelines asking passengers to NOT use reg tape, NOT put things on the walls

Carnival sells cabin decorations on their website. To include, streamers & decorations that hang from the ceiling and banners for the walls. Why would they say not to put things on the walls when they sell decorations that go on the walls? And yes, it would certainly be polite & helpful if everyone cleaned up their decorations, but considering they sell decorations themselves, I'm sure they fully expect some guests not to. I doubt the stewards get too bent out of shape about it, as long as it's not a total mess.

OK, I admit it, I'm typically what you might call your classic grumpy old man (although I'm really not that old :rolleyes:). But even I, in all my grumpiness, would get a kick out of seeing these door decorations. You go right ahead and keep spreading your cruise joy. We could use more of that these days. And the next time we're on a cruise, if I see a big ole gaudy (no offense) door decoration, I'm gonna knock and ask, "Chicacruiser, is that you?" We didn't see any on our cruise, but I wish we had. I'll surely consider doing it next time. And like I said above, Carnival themselves sells cabin decorations on their website, so it's not like they discourage it.

Carnival sells cabin decorations on their website. To include, streamers & decorations that hang from the ceiling and banners for the walls. Why would they say not to put things on the walls when they sell decorations that go on the walls? And yes, it would certainly be polite & helpful if everyone cleaned up their decorations, but considering they sell decorations themselves, I'm sure they fully expect some guests not to. I doubt the stewards get too bent out of shape about it, as long as it's not a total mess.

On the OUTSIDE walls. [emoji57]

I use command strips/hooks and or magnets. I prefer using magnets since it is quicker and reusable.

Will the magnets work on all Carnival ships? I've used them on Disney but I think when I was on the Paradise they didn't work. I'll be on Carnival Magic in Sept and like to make something fun for the door. Don't know if I should go with magnet or Command Strips.

I will be using Command strips for my upcoming Pride cruise. I've never decorated my door before but I've found that these are very easy to remove and don't damage anything. Nothing too over the top..I just got a custom banner printed from Shindigz for $5 :)

Will the magnets work on all Carnival ships? I've used them on Disney but I think when I was on the Paradise they didn't work. I'll be on Carnival Magic in Sept and like to make something fun for the door. Don't know if I should go with magnet or Command Strips.

Neodymium magnets worked on the Carnival Legend. We used them to hold up our 30th wedding anniversary decorations. The doors are metal (on that ship), but require very strong magnets because of the thick covering that makes them look like they are made of wood. The good news is these magnets can be very small and work fine. The bad news is they can get lost in your luggage and cause major headaches at security screening. The magnetic field creates a large black spot on the viewing screen. Be sure to keep them out of your luggage if you decide to use them. Voice of experience and embarrassment here.

Neodymium magnets worked on the Carnival Legend. We used them to hold up our 30th wedding anniversary decorations. The doors are metal (on that ship), but require very strong magnets because of the thick covering that makes them look like they are made of wood. The good news is these magnets can be very small and work fine. The bad news is they can get lost in your luggage and cause major headaches at security screening. The magnetic field creates a large black spot on the viewing screen. Be sure to keep them out of your luggage if you decide to use them. Voice of experience and embarrassment here.

OMG!! LOL!!! Things like this always happen to my husband because he is a gadget guy and has things on his keychain that sometimes is not allowed through security (like a tool that will cut your seatbelt if your car crashes in the water). This has helped me decide, I'll go for the Command Strips!!!

Aw thank you! Just holler chicacruiser and I may open that door! [emoji3]

We tried magnets once and they didn't stay on the door. Could be because they were too big and gaudy [emoji3]. All of our decorations have been stickers that we've put on the papered door. We also taped postcards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like seeing the door decorations. So many creative cruisers. :) But I gave up decorating after having too many things stolen. :mad:

I can't believe how many people have their decorations stolen. It's completely ridiculous if you think about it. I mean, seriously, how low does someone have to be to think they need to steal pieces of paper & plastic. It's not like they're going to take it home and use this stuff. And if they take it to put it on their own door, talk about nerve. You must be a special kind of twisted to get enjoyment out of taking something like that.

Sadly, my door decor was stolen, not once but twice. I had some cool 3d suns and some flowers. Well, they were taken on the 1st night. So I took some inside decor we had and put that on the outside door. Same thing. My room steward said he knew who took it because he saw the decor in a room the other side of my floor. So I wrote a big note and attached that to my door. It said "YOU CAN STEAL MY DECOR BUT YOU CANT STEAL MY FUN". No one took that.
You're a bigger person than I am. My note would've been much, much different. :D And if I knew who took our stuff, it probably would've ended up on their door.

• 1 month later...

Had a full sheet (plastic) type of door decoration awhile back. On the last night someone knocked on our door and it was group of ladies who said "we just wanted to see whose this room was because we love your door". We said thanks but I was just about to take it down she said "can I have it?" I said sure so i pulled it down and she draped it across her back and taped it at the neck and off she went with her friends with our door decoration flowing behind her like batman's cape...lol..it was a pic of a pirate sitting on the john "ye old poop deck" written above him...I will never forget that sight.

We only decorated the door and used Scotch tape (it happened to be "satin" finish). I took everything down that morning, and as far as I knew, it didn't leave a residue. I did see leftover tape from previous guests. All I did was bring a roll of birthday gift wrap. It used exactly the entire roll. It's the first time we've done it. There were several other doors down our hall that decorated as well.

Had a full sheet (plastic) type of door decoration awhile back. On the last night someone knocked on our door and it was group of ladies who said "we just wanted to see whose this room was because we love your door". We said thanks but I was just about to take it down she said "can I have it?" I said sure so i pulled it down and she draped it across her back and taped it at the neck and off she went with her friends with our door decoration flowing behind her like batman's cape...lol..it was a pic of a pirate sitting on the john "ye old poop deck" written above him...I will never forget that sight.

We have done this one for friends and for our kids. Its definitely a fun one :p

It absolutely does leave residue, you just can't see it. All of those things hanging and posted on the wall? Good lord.

I have to agree on this one. On one of our cruises, I dropped something right outside our door. As I was coming up from picking it up, I looked up at the door so that I didn't hit my head on the handle. I could see all kinds of residue on the door that didn't show up looking straight at it.

I have read on here that if you use magnets, some clowns decide to take them off and put them on other doors just to confuse their fellow cruisers.

Anything made by COMMAND!! No tape of any kind!!! Leaves residue. No scrap book DOTS!! Leaves residue!! PLEASE USE MAGNETS OR ANYTHING COMMAND!! Carnival will stop all decorating of doors if cruisers continue to mess doors up!! Please stop..

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We used painters tape on the cruise I went on two years ago. Came off easy. Didn't know about the command strips only good to know for the next cruise. 12b134650947df0d386ad56fa46b943f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There's a whole site for decorating doors on the, not to mention the social media, FORBIDDEN SITE. LOL It gives all the dos and do nots on decorating. It's very helpful. Also sites to create your design to an original banner that fits the cabin doors great!! AND I LOVE YOUR DOOR DECO!!!!

Edited by volmoma

There's a whole site for decorating doors on the, not to mention the social media, FORBIDDEN SITE. LOL It gives all the dos and do nots on decorating. It's very helpful. Also sites to create your design to an original banner that fits the cabin doors great!! AND I LOVE YOUR DOOR DECO!!!!

I'll have to check that out! And thank you! [emoji5]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums