First Timers review of PG

teemsum

19Feb Thanks to our friends for the AC Lounge passes....a nice way to wait for our flight.

Our flight from Vancouver to LAX was uneventful.

However, we had a 7 hour layover & there is very limited seating in the Tom Bradley Terminal & no dining venues except for Starbucks pre-security.

We found a window sill along the wall & watched a movie to pass the time.

The TN check-in counter actually opened 3.5-4 hrs prior & there was no line-up when we went at 3 hrs prior.

There was a huge line to go through security...it was like being at Disneyland without the entertainment.

Once past security, it's gorgeous inside with designer shops & restaurants.

However, make sure you leave enough time to get to the gate ( which is a 5-10 min walk away ).

Some seating areas were very innovative ( with plugs right below the seat ).

The airplane is a 2 4 2 configuration, very sardine-like.

There is no air vent above your head; it's either too cold or too hot.

Unlike other airlines, they do not offer water throughout the flight; you have to go to the galley to get the water/other snacks.

A nice touch: when they serve the meal, they say "Enjoy your meal" ( same thing they say on PG ).

20Feb In PPT, they do not have jet-ways, so you have to walk down 30 steps from the plane.

Outside the terminal, just say you are with Paul Gauguin cruises & someone will direct to the transfer rep.

We were transferred to the IC Tahiti which seemed to be right around the corner from the airport.

We checked in & were able to go to our dayroom right away.

Large luggage should be outside your room by 11 am.

Check-out is at 1 pm.

Lunch was available until 2 pm ( also included dessert ).

We were picked up at 3 pm & transferred to the ship.

Upon boarding, we were advised that there was an itinerary change & that we will be going to Moorea the next day.

21Feb We were supposed to be in Moorea but by 8 am, we were still at sea.

At 10 am, the Captain assembled everyone in Le Grand Salon & showed us satellite images of a tropical cyclone in Fiji which was also affecting the Cook Islands.

He said that he didn't want to go all the way there just to turn around again due to poor conditions so instead he changed the itinerary to the Tuamotus.

22Feb Fakarava

23Feb Rangiroa

24Feb At sea

25Feb Bora Bora Day 1

26Feb Bora Bora Day 2

27Feb Huahine

28Feb Taha'a

29Feb Moorea - we were supposed to overnight but the Captain made an announcement at 4:30 pm that due to bad weather coming, we would leave as soon as all guests were back onboard. At 6:30 pm, we departed & he gunned it for PPT.

29Feb Papeete - arrived at 8:15 pm

They have free transfers to town.

We had rough seas most days & it rained on & off daily.

I went in with no expectations & was wowed.

The menu is quite varied...there is truly something for everyone & delicious to boot.

4 starters & appetizers, 2 soups, 3 salads, 2 pastas, 4 entrees, 4 desserts, vegetarian, gluten-free, daily Premium Ice Cream, Diet Ice Cream ( dairy & sugar free ), Daily Sorbet.

A different scone daily at Tea-Time.

A different bread basket nightly.

I only wish they had a 24 hour coffee station.

02Mar Disembarkation Day

Breakfast is served from 7 am - 9 am.

Vacate your room by 9:30 am.

Internet minutes must be used by 10 am.

Ship's bars close at 10 am.

Spa is open from 8 - 10 am.

Independent guests must disembark by 10 am.

Lunch is served from 11 am to 12 pm.

* Mid-cruise - select ship to dayroom transfer ( depart at 12 pm, check-in at 2 pm ) or 2 hour tour & transfer to dayroom ( depart at 12:30 pm )

02Mar Post-cruise, I had the Tahiti Pearl Beach Resort which is very far from the city.

This property is very dimly lit.

I would not recommend this for an evening stay.

It was raining heavily & one of my friends actually slipped & fell on the stairs.

The bathtub was very high & the hand rail on the wall was wobbly.

Also, there was no meal included like at the IC Tahiti pre-cruise.

Check-out time was 7 pm.

Luggage down by 8:30 pm which they send ahead to the airport.

Transfer to the airport at 9:10 pm for a 11:59 pm flight.

It took about 20 minutes to get to the airport.

Once there, we immediately checked-in & went through security.

There's no reason to get to the airport early as there's absolutely nothing to do.

There's free wifi for only 15 minutes.

They have one duty free store & 1 cafe to buy drinks & snacks.

03Mar Arrived in LAX at 10 am, got through security by 11 am.

They've finished renovations at Tom Bradley Arrivals & it's wonderful.

However, there is a very long walk from the gate to immigration.

Canadian citizens can join the same line as US citizens.

There are about 50 Automated Passport Control kiosks.

It's all very quick.

We went to AC to see if we could get on an earlier flight.

Yes, but there's a change fee $ 154 USD per person. !!!

No, thanks; we'll just wait it out.

We sat around & checked-in 4 hours prior.

After security, we had lunch & sat around for another 3 hours.

It was fun to fly AC Rouge...similar to Westjet

Welcome back! It's good to hear that in spite of the bad weather and changed itinerary you were still wowed. The PG staff are the BEST.

The rainy season January and February can be tough months. Rain and storms as well.

I always suggest the slight extra pricing for the IC on the last day. However, dinner is never included and once again I suggest that people either eat at the hotel or get them to prepare a take out. ATN food is not edible and maybe among the worst airline food especially in Coach. The airport doesn't have much to offer, either.

Maybe you will join us on the repeaters next year and finally visit the Cooks?

That's odd. We once had a long layover at Tom Bradley, and prior to check-in were able to find a pub that served decent food where we could sit comfortably and have a meal. Guess the renovations have changed that. IT was up on the second level, sort of overlooking the check-in area, as I remember.

Last time I remember all of the food options post-security and although varied, they weren't particularly good.

That's odd. We once had a long layover at Tom Bradley, and prior to check-in were able to find a pub that served decent food where we could sit comfortably and have a meal. Guess the renovations have changed that. IT was up on the second level, sort of overlooking the check-in area, as I remember.

Last time I remember all of the food options post-security and although varied, they weren't particularly good.

Wendy post security has totally changed and full of fancy options per DD. Pre security on the second level I think is also changed. There used to be a quiet lounge there but that's now gone.

I enjoyed your report. We are waiting for our ta to call us back since we want to book our 9th cruise on the PG (Bali to Fiji).

Tom Bradley LAX is delightful once you pass security with lots of upscale shopping and food.

In all the years of having an outbound flight booked through PG dinner was never offered at Pearl or IT. On the Fiji cruises I believe it's the hotel providing the meal and on the outbound it is PG providing the lunch.

Did you go to any shows? Lectures?

Wendy post security has totally changed and full of fancy options per DD. Pre security on the second level I think is also changed. There used to be a quiet lounge there but that's now gone.

Yes, I've been there, seen the fancy options and I didn't think much of them. Pre-security there used to be an actual restaurant, can't remember the name, guess it's gone.

I enjoyed your report. We are waiting for our ta to call us back since we want to book our 9th cruise on the PG (Bali to Fiji).

Oooh, Bali to Fiji! I'm going to have to look that one up, sounds yummy!

(Looking at the itinerary, it looks absolutely sensational, Carol! Unfortunately the time frame doesn't suit us, which is just as well, 'cause we probably couldn't afford it, lol.)

Edited by Wendy The Wanderer

• 1 month later...