Bow on the Ryndam

notes4theheart

Hi everyone,

I know I read this on here but I've tried searching twice and can't find it. :confused:

How does one get on the bow on the Ryndam? When are you allowed to? I'm taking a final, goodbye cruise on board this December and really want to go see the bell.

Thanks!

Jennifer

How does one get on the bow on the Ryndam? When are you allowed to?

You're allowed on the bow only during scenic cruising, when the Captain has agreed. It will be noted in the daily bulletin, and there will be direction signs put up to show you the way.

Go to Promenade Deck (deck 7 on that ship), forward, and head to the show lounge. Head to the "Emergency Exit" in the forward area, to the extreme side of the stage; it indicates you should not pass there. Under normal circumstances, that is correct. Go through that door, and through the second door that's a few feet further.

Now, you are in an undecorated area, where a staircase is coming up in front of you. Pass the staircase and head toward the open door which takes you to the bow. There will be a very high step to go over.

You're allowed on the bow only during scenic cruising, when the Captain has agreed. It will be noted in the daily bulletin, and there will be direction signs put up to show you the way.

Go to Promenade Deck (deck 7 on that ship), forward, and head to the show lounge. Head to the "Emergency Exit" in the forward area, to the extreme side of the stage; it indicates you should not pass there. Under normal circumstances, that is correct. Go through that door, and through the second door that's a few feet further.

Now, you are in an undecorated area, where a staircase is coming up in front of you. Pass the staircase and head toward the open door which takes you to the bow. There will be a very high step to go over.

Thanks so much but...

:-( We won't be doing any scenic cruising in the Caribbean.

Oh well...

Thanks so much but...

Oh well...

You may, or you may not be. It is not always announced prior to boarding- it might be a spur of the moment decision. All depends on the area, the Captain's point of view, and whether or not it is safe.

Thanks so much but...

Oh well...

Don't despair. We routinely visit the bow on embarcation day right after lunch. While everyone else is unpacking or enjoying the pool, we've been able to get to the bow in the early afternoon without a problem.

Thanks so much but...

Oh well...

We always found a chance to be at the bow on every cruise. My DH and I always visited the bell on every ship we sailed. If it's closed one time you try, come back another time.

If the door is open, we have always 'assumed' it is okay to go out to the bow. A few Captains we know have waved to us from the bridge :) if they are there readying to sail.

If the door is locked, clearly we cannot and don't attempt to pass through to reach the bow.

Edited by sail7seas

I cant remember it ever being shut on our last cruise (by the way sry for the delay in the TR been struck down by illness).. We always got to it from deck 6 (promenade) walk to the front then use the glass stairs at the front.

I'll put the pictures up when photobucket starts behaving and stops timing out

we were on the Ryndam this year and accessed the bow on a number of occasions from the promenade deck at the bow go up one floor through the glass doors - never had any problems and I am sure that if we weren't supposed to be there we would have soon be told to leave as you are visible ship wide due to the web cam and certainly visible from the bridge

we were on the Ryndam this year and accessed the bow on a number of occasions from the promenade deck at the bow go up one floor through the glass doors - never had any problems and I am sure that if we weren't supposed to be there we would have soon be told to leave as you are visible ship wide due to the web cam and certainly visible from the bridge

Exactly. We are clearly visible to the bridge when on the bow.

We were on a 7 day Southern Caribbean itinerary last March. I found the way to the bow but was hesitant to enter even tho the door was unlocked.

We went back down to the promenade deck and found someone in a uniform, so I asked about entering the bow.

His reply, "If it's unlocked it is ok to enter, tho it may be windy. If it is locked....(you can finish this :D:) )"

Hello,

Sorry if I'm late to the party, but on all of our S class ships, you can get onto the bow almost all of the time, excepting in high wind conditions, and late at night, when we close the shell doors for wind abatement.

You can get to the bow from two directions.

First, from deck 6, the promenade deck, go all the way forward, and you will see 2 glass enclosed staircases leading up, take either of those, and immediately at the top are the shell doors to the bow. If they're open, you're welcome to head out onto the bow.

The other way, as mentioned earlier, is to get there via the showroom at sea on deck 7. Simply go all the way forward on either side, and use the emergency exit doors. Continue forward, and you'll see the staircase mentioned earlier, with the shell doors leading directly to the bow.

All kinds of secrets! She's a great old ship with tons of nooks and crannies. Come find me when you get on board, private message me for details.

Cruise Critic does not have Private Messaging.

Ah dang. I'm not really on the site that much, so I didn't know. At any rate, I'll be on board Ryndam during that time. I can't post my identity publicly.

I can post mine. notes4theheart @ gmail

I'm taking this sailing to say goodbye to a ship that my husband and I adore. I'd love to know what parts of her I should visit before I don't have the chance to.

Hopefully, everything will work out so that I can sail her one more time this summer.