Silversea vs. Seabourn

lvdave

My wife and I had a wonderful cruise on Seabourn last December and are looking at a Silversea cruise on the Silver Cloud for this December. I would appreciate hearing from people who have experienced both lines and can compare the two.

My wife and I had a wonderful cruise on Seabourn last December and are looking at a Silversea cruise on the Silver Cloud for this December. I would appreciate hearing from people who have experienced both lines and can compare the two.

I have sailed many days on both lines and they are probably the most similar lines if you are to compare any two.

I find Seabourn to be far better for food and service and the guests are a nice and friendly mix.

Either way you will not go far wrong.

You will get many answers for or against each line but the good thing is that you are about to experience sailing on both lines and you will finally know which line suits you,that is the real deal and not what anybody else might think.

There are extensive threads covering this topic on both Seabourn and the Silversea boards. Enjoy reading them.

I have a simple view on all of this.

If the itinerary looks good to you I would book it because this will give you the opportunity to experience Silversea yourself.

I would study the layout of the ship just so you know what it offers and I would do a little reading but in the end what one person thinks is nice about a line another person might not. So, in the end the only opinion that matters is your own.

In the end, I suspect there will be some items you like better about each line and other items that you find to be similar.

Keith

As most above are correct, more similar that different. If you were on the Sojourn or Quest than you will find the Cloud smaller. Also Seabourn has more contemporary décor while Silversea is more traditional. You room attendant will be a butler on Silversea but does the same tasks you had on Seabourn. You will most likely just get down to small items: like one will include internet the other won't. One includes laundry in some rooms and the other will charge for it. You will most likely find the staff will be from a different part of the world from Seabourn. But all in all very similar....

A possibly important (and apparently not widely know) difference is that the Restaurant (main dining room -- MDR) is open every day for breakfast and lunch on Silversea. The MDR is not open for breakfast and lunch on shorter (7 day or less?) Seabourn voyages.

This matter was highlighted for me today when I was talking with friends who were about to book a Seabourn cruise. They had previously cruised on Silversea and liked it a lot. They have said that not having access to the MDR for breakfast or lunch is a deal-breaker for them, as it would be for me. I know that one can place custom orders with a server in the buffet venues on Seabourn and Silversea. However, I often much prefer the quiet andy elegant atmosphere of the restaurant for breakfast/lunch.

If the itinerary looks good to you I would book it because this will give you the opportunity to experience Silversea yourself. I would study the layout of the ship just so you know what it offers and I would do a little reading but in the end what one person thinks is nice about a line another person might not. So, in the end the only opinion that matters is your own. In the end, I suspect there will be some items you like better about each line and other items that you find to be similar. Keith

carefree cruise: As most above are correct' date=' more similar that different. If you were on the Sojourn or Quest than you will find the Cloud smaller. Also [b']Seabourn has more contemporary décor while Silversea is more traditional[/b]. You room attendant will be a butler on Silversea but does the same tasks you had on Seabourn. You will most likely just get down to small items: like one will include internet the other won't. One includes laundry in some rooms and the other will charge for it. You will most likely find the staff will be from a different part of the world from Seabourn. But all in all very similar....

duct tape: Try the Cloud. Then' date=' as we did, you can make your own comparison. SS food has improved very much over the last year. [/quote']

Appreciate this excellent range of info and background. Our first cruise in June 2006 was on the Seabourn Spirit in the Greek Isles and along the Turkish coast. On the last day of that cruise, I was starting feel sharp "depression" setting in with the "reality" of needing to return to normal life. Loved that first cruise and the super personal service/attention. As detailed below, we totally loved our Silver Cloud adventure along the Norway coast. Getting ready for a late March 2015 Silver Whisper trip from Kenya to Cape Town. The newer Seabourn ships are a little larger than the more "personal" Silver Cloud. Duct tape is extremely experienced with Silversea (she was on our Norway cruise) and her encouraging words about improving food quality are important. Like Keith noted, find an itinerary that fits your needs/interests and go for "IT"!!

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 150,749 views. Nice to be hitting this high of a level for viewership. Appreciate the interest and follow-up questions/comments!!

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923