Antigua - which beach?

nbsjcruiser

We will be there in March on the ROS, 8 day eastern. Typically we do 4 hours on the beach followed by a 4 day walk around town. I have the beach narrowed down to Dickenson or Half Moon Bay. I understand Dickenson is 10 mins away by Taxi. How far away is Half Moon, and which beach would you recommend?

tks

Half Moon Bay is on the extreme south east corner of Antiqua and about as far from St. John's (which is in the NW corner) as you can get to on land. According to the map of Antiqua I got when we stayed there, it is about 12 miles away (about 45 minutes by taxi) and at that time, about 10 years ago, you had to go on the worst roads on the island to get there. The beach was alright as I remember it. Also according to the Half Moon Bay Hotel's web site thet place is closed for renovations until further notice and that was the only major tourist facility there.

I would go to Dickenson Bay (was there in Feb. when on Serenade cruise) as it is only about 2 miles away from St. John's over good (for Antiqua that is) roads. It and nearby Runaway Bay have very nice beaches and lots of facilities for comfort, activities and food/drink. There is also a taxi permanently stationed at the Halcyon Cove hotel at the north end of Dickenson beach so normally that taxi is available for trips back to St. John's. In Feb. we walked there for exercise in the early morning in place of walking a mile on the ship and took the taxi back to town in the afternoon when it was hot out.

Ditto on Dickenson. We love it there. Make sure you ask the cabbie to drop you off at Tony's. Sometimes they try to drop you off at Coconuts, but the beach area is really small there. Go to Tony's and you have plenty of beach area all over. Can rent chairs/umbrellas. Lots of water sports if you so desire. Beach is gorgeous, water is crystal clear and beautiful and calm. We go there every time we are in Antigua.

If you want to be adventurous, behind Tony's (attached) there is a local grill. My DH got the "bullfoot soup" and said it was some of the best soup he had ever had. I think they make other stuff as well, and Tony's also serves food.

Great beach. Taxi's all over so no problem getting back to ship.

I just checked my notes from my visit to Antigua in '03. We went to Hawkings Beach. If you want great sand & snorkeling, go here!! I saw a sea turtle while snorkeling. The best part was that my wife and I were the only ones on the beach!! There is a hotel nearby where you can get snacks and drinks. It's not the closest beach to port, but the taxi ride wasn't that long at all.

I just checked my notes from my visit to Antigua in '03. We went to Hawkings Beach. If you want great sand & snorkeling, go here!! I saw a sea turtle while snorkeling. The best part was that my wife and I were the only ones on the beach!! There is a hotel nearby where you can get snacks and drinks. It's not the closest beach to port, but the taxi ride wasn't that long at all.

Are you sure it was Hawkings beach and not Hawksbill beach which is due west, about 2 miles, of St. John's. The only hotel here is the Hawksbill Beach Resort. My map doesn't show it and I don't any results for Hawkings beach on Antigua when I google it.

Another good beach with a very close to shore large corel reef is Long Bay, which is 10 miles east of St. John's. There are many hotels and restaurants on this beach. I have snorkelled here and seen turtles and many other sea life here.

• 2 weeks later...

Well with 365 beaches to choose from... whenever I want to go to the beach (unless someone is dragging me off somewhere else {like family picnics at select beaches or what not} )...I always chose Dickenson Bay Beach. I absolutely love it. I love the Coconut Crush and Cake I can get from the nearby restuarant and I LOVE after two hours of lazing in the water walking up to Putters for their burger... and running around on the miniature golf course (although most of the times I never get around to playing it).

And its close to the port: availiability of water sports, chairs and what not.

I think it wins hands down.:D

Well with 365 beaches to choose from... whenever I want to go to the beach (unless someone is dragging me off somewhere else {like family picnics at select beaches or what not} )...I always chose Dickenson Bay Beach. I absolutely love it. I love the Coconut Crush and Cake I can get from the nearby restuarant and I LOVE after two hours of lazing in the water walking up to Putters for their burger... and running around on the miniature golf course (although most of the times I never get around to playing it).

And its close to the port: availiability of water sports, chairs and what not.

I think it wins hands down.:D

How much is the taxi to Dickenson Bay beach and the chair rental? Can you take your own cooler there or is it all restaurants? Thanks, we'll be there in January on Radiance. We've been to Antigua before a few times, once we bought a day pass at Pineapple Beach, but it really wasn't worth it. The view from the hill was excellent though.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 8 years later...

Gonna resurrect this old thread.

I was trying to remember where we went when we were last in Antigua. Is Tony's still there? I don't seem to recall actually going to a place called Tony's. I do remember that there was a Sandals resort on the beach we were at when we went to Dickenson Bay. Anyone know if this resort is near Tony's?

tks

Gonna resurrect this old thread.

I was trying to remember where we went when we were last in Antigua. Is Tony's still there? I don't seem to recall actually going to a place called Tony's. I do remember that there was a Sandals resort on the beach we were at when we went to Dickenson Bay. Anyone know if this resort is near Tony's?

tks

following your thread, hoping for an answer too

Tony's is indeed on the 'Sandals' beach - actually Dickenson Beach. Bear in mind, though, that the beach doesn't belong to Sandals. All beaches in Antigua are public. Go where you like.

• 2 weeks later...
Tony's is indeed on the 'Sandals' beach - actually Dickenson Beach. Bear in mind, though, that the beach doesn't belong to Sandals. All beaches in Antigua are public. Go where you like.

ok - can you still rent chairs and umbrellas there?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

We are going with a group of 14 in 3 weeks, and the coordinator wants to go to Valley Church Beach. In my research and in my notes I have no mention of this one on my list. Is this one of the best we would want to venture to with my daughter? Or should we just go off on our one to one you guys have listed here??

Please help!