NCL Alska excursion help

We are researching NCl excursions for Skagway Alaska and are interested in the White Pass scenic railway and Yukon expedition. The one taking the motor coach up to Carcross, looking around the museum and dog sled camp and taking the train back to Skagway. We like the idea of being able to see so much on an excursion, but noticed that we would be on the bus for quite a bit of the trip, so for anybody else that has done this excursion, can you please tell me about how much time was spent on the bus? Also, were you able to see very much from it? I'm also going to be posting this on the Alaska board, but since it's an NCL excursion, I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask here as well :D

I was on a Princess cruise to Alaska and we took this excursion. We just loved it. We took the bus up and the train back. Our bus driver pulled over a couple of times, so we could see bears on the side of the road. We stopped on the way for some photo opportunities. Lunch was included and very nice -- a BBQ. Got some wonderful photos on the train. We were gone about 7.5 hours or so.

Sit on the right side of the bus (facing front) and the right side of the train (facing the engine).

We are researching NCl excursions for Skagway Alaska and are interested in the White Pass scenic railway and Yukon expedition. The one taking the motor coach up to Carcross, looking around the museum and dog sled camp and taking the train back to Skagway. We like the idea of being able to see so much on an excursion, but noticed that we would be on the bus for quite a bit of the trip, so for anybody else that has done this excursion, can you please tell me about how much time was spent on the bus? Also, were you able to see very much from it? I'm also going to be posting this on the Alaska board, but since it's an NCL excursion, I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask here as well :D

I did that tour but the other way round (train then by road) and with Chilkoot Charters and Tours (starting at 7.30), and it looks like this

[YOUTUBE]3WSaRzt5N0Q[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]aFpz4AHOcUs[/YOUTUBE]

It was a wonderful day. Assuming you have reasonable port hours (say all-aboard not before 5 pm) you will have enough time for a look around Skagway when the tour is over.

When you are on the train you will have heard that being on the left side going up and right coming down has the best view. While that is technically true, the difference is marginal and certainly not worth worrying about if you are not able to secure the 'best' side, as you will be wanting to go to the outside platforms and generally move around for the 'marquee sights'.

As for the bus part of it, we stopped so regularly that from memory we were never on it for more than 15, maybe 20 minutes other than for the final journey back to Skagway, when it may've been half an hour/40 minutes. All the best, Tony

I did that tour but the other way round (train then by road) and with Chilkoot Charters and Tours (starting at 7.30), and it looks like this

[YOUTUBE]3WSaRzt5N0Q[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]aFpz4AHOcUs[/YOUTUBE]

It was a wonderful day. Assuming you have reasonable port hours (say all-aboard not before 5 pm) you will have enough time for a look around Skagway when the tour is over.

When you are on the train you will have heard that being on the left side going up and right coming down has the best view. While that is technically true, the difference is marginal and certainly not worth worrying about if you are not able to secure the 'best' side, as you will be wanting to go to the outside platforms and generally move around for the 'marquee sights'.

As for the bus part of it, we stopped so regularly that from memory we were never on it for more than 15, maybe 20 minutes other than for the final journey back to Skagway, when it may've been half an hour/40 minutes. All the best, Tony

we did the same as you on our Diamond Princess trip a couple years ago. Chilkoot was top notch and was one of the best excursions we have ever taken.

Bill

Another ore for doing the same excursion except through Chilkoot Tours. We also did the train up and motorcoach back. We had a great guide, who was very fun. And they said to just yell out if you want to stop for photos and they would pull over where ever there was room. The cruise line excursions were on large tour buses and didn't stop much. And whenever we were stopped but saw a tour bus stopping where we were, we just scrambled back on our coach and off we went. Great excursion. We had friends who'd only done their excursion through the ship but went with us, and they raved about it - so much so that everyone they booked on AK cruises (cruise agents), they recommended Chilkoot. Oh, and Chilkoot should have their own train car, too.

Ok, so I did something dumb and booked through NCL before checking out Chilkoot. Now, going to try to call NCL tomorrow and try to cancel my tour with them without a cancelation fee, and book the tour with Chilkoot. It's $16 cheaper per person than with NCL, and I like the idea of being with a smaller group. I guess if there is a cancellation fee with NCL I'll just have to deal with my mistake lol. Hopefully they will let us book with only three in our party :eek:.

Another nice thing about Chilkoot is they have a reserved car on the train, when we took it last year there were only about a dozen in our car. FWIW, on the train they allow you to stand outside between the cars for unobstructed pictures, however, you can only hear the narration when you are inside.

Ok, so I did something dumb and booked through NCL before checking out Chilkoot. Now, going to try to call NCL tomorrow and try to cancel my tour with them without a cancelation fee, and book the tour with Chilkoot. It's $16 cheaper per person than with NCL, and I like the idea of being with a smaller group. I guess if there is a cancellation fee with NCL I'll just have to deal with my mistake lol. Hopefully they will let us book with only three in our party :eek:.

You shouldn't have a problem booking for three. They took my reservation for one with no questions :)