Motion Sickness and Kids

slwillwin

My wife and I have cruised several times and have no issues. My 9 year old gets motion sickness in the car (though we did 2500 miles last summer and by the end she was fine). Should I bring anything or will guest services hook me up if she isn't dealing well with the movement? I really should not have just shown her the Aruba North Coast Jeep Safari!

Guest services will not "hook you up". The doctor will, but you'll have a doctor bill and you will pay through the nose for the meds. Plan ahead. If you suspect there might be a problem, see your doctor before you go and follow their advice. There are many options, but only you and your doctor can decide which is appropriate for your child.

go to pharmacy for an over the counter Motion Eze it's awesome it's natural nit taken internally and even ok for little children

Last February Motion Eze was for sail in the Miracle Fun Shops.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Ginger capsules. Grandson was bothered on his first cruise. We started ginger a couple of days before his second cruise and hasn't had any trouble since. Very natural and cheap.

Edited by springs741

Ginger capsules. Grandson was bothered on his first cruise. We started ginger a couple of days before his second cruise and hasn't had any trouble since. Very natural and cheap.

I have also read that some have great success using ginger snap cookies! I remember on family calls them their "cruise cookies". [emoji6]

I get sick on planes, trains and automobiles - and I don't want to talk about boat/ships!

Best thing I have found is to start Ginger capsules (bought at GNC) a couple of days before leaving. I don't get sick on the flight, on the ship OR in the cab on an excursion. And even better - all natural and no side effects!

So now you have a whole list of possibilities. My wife has tried them all. The one that worked was the scopolamine patches. But IDK if those are appropriate for a child or not. If your doctor is OK with them, then I would bring them. Bring some of the others, too. Bonine works fine for me, though its usually not a problem. Doesn't do diddly for my wife, nor do any of these other remedies.

Ginger capsules are great, start two days before cruise. Also, bring a 12 pk of ginger ale on board and we were in a hurricane back in 2011 and rode on the elevator with the captain, mentioned being sick and he said green apples that's why they always have them on the lido buffet for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. We always grab a few to keep in the room. Hope she doesn't get sick and enjoys her cruise. Love seeing young kids having fun on the boats!

We use Bonine for our granddaughter who gets sick during car rides and air plane trips. Also try Seabands because sometimes with kids it is more the fear of getting sick than actually getting sick.

Most definitely do the Aruba North Coast Jeep Safari as it is a blast. Our granddaughter said it was the best thing she ever did on a cruise and she has been on 10 and is only 8 years old. We all loved it and you get a really good look at the entire island.

If you have time to try these with your daughter, the thing that always worked for ours is Sea-Bands. Whether it was a road-trip, a bus ride or a cruise, they always kept her motion sickness at bay. We kept a pair in each vehicle & in her athletic bag. Like I said, I'd try them with yours to make sure they work before taking them to rely on for your cruise. Wishing you all smooth sailing! :)

If you have time to try these with your daughter, the thing that always worked for ours is Sea-Bands. Whether it was a road-trip, a bus ride or a cruise, they always kept her motion sickness at bay. We kept a pair in each vehicle & in her athletic bag. Like I said, I'd try them with yours to make sure they work before taking them to rely on for your cruise. Wishing you all smooth sailing! :)

Same here. He's big now, so he takes Dramamine at night time but also still wears the Sea Bands. For him, they re also reassuring. Sort of a visual reminder that he has assistance to combat the sick feeling.

In the Marines, onboard an aircraft carrier, they told us to eat apples and soda crackers to relieve motion sickness. It worked every time and doesn't have any side effects.

Motion sick on a carrier?! I slept the best sleep of my life on 2 different carrier deployments. They rock you to sleep. No sickness there. But I have gone on a whale watch 1/2 hr off shore in Boston and was dying. I have to think a cruise ship is somewhere between the two. My first cruise is coming up soon. Hoping for the former rather than the latter.

I get motion sickness in small boats and sometimes in a car if I'm trying to do something else (read, be on my phone etc); however, I've generally been okay on an ocean liner. I've not sailed during the Atlantic Hurricane "prime" season until this year and I'll definitely be taking Bonine (meclizine Hcl) as I experienced a cyclone in the Mediterranean last fall that was terribly unpleasant and I felt awful.