Luau in Maui

Funbobby68

Hey all my wife really want to attend a lual when we are in Maui , we are in port from 8am till 930 pm , really don't want to miss the boat , but the price of the ships excursion is pretty high in comparison, I also want to rent a jeep and tour around , my question is what's the best one that would be close to the pier , will be giving the rental car back before the luau , so will need taxi to return us to the ship

I have some suggestions but also need to know where you will be, Lahaina or Kahalui. And...is 9:30 the "all aboard" or when the ship sets sail? The Old Lahaina Luau is in a great spot on Front Street in Lahaina and would be soooo easy to enjoy with the limited time you have, if your ship will be in Lahaina. Cherie

Edited by cccole

I have some suggestions but also need to know where you will be, Lahaina or Kahalui. And...is 9:30 the "all aboard" or when the ship sets sail? The Old Lahaina Luau is in a great spot on Front Street in Lahaina and would be soooo easy to enjoy with the limited time you have, if your ship will be in Lahaina. Cherie

Look forward to hearing

The departure time for the OP cruise is 9:30 and since they are tendering they probably need to be at the dock by 8:30. You could go to Old Lahaina Luau but it runs until 8:45 and you would still need to get a taxi to get back to the dock as it is over a mile away.

You might consider The Feast of Lele, I have not gone but it seems to be getting lots of great reviews. It is also on the waterfront but just two blocks south of the dock where you tender so you could actually walk back and not have to worry about catching a taxi at the last minute.

https://www.feastatlele.com/

I can't agree more with being as close as possible to the pier where you will tender. The luaus in the Lahaina area are all going to be pretty much the same. I don't mean that in a bad way, but if you want to experience a luau make sure you make it easy on yourself so that you can really enjoy it. There is a website, mauihawaiiluau.com that gives an overview of the luaus on Maui. You may need to leave the festivities a bit early to beat the rush to exit at the end, and you don't want to miss the ship!!!!! Hope this helps, Cherie

You might consider The Feast of Lele, I have not gone but it seems to be getting lots of great reviews. It is also on the waterfront but just two blocks south of the dock where you tender so you could actually walk back and not have to worry about catching a taxi at the last minute.

https://www.feastatlele.com/

We recently drove to the Feast at Lele (they offer a nice discount for locals) and enjoyed it for the 2nd time. It's a sitdown dinner, drinks and performances depicting four Polynesian cultures...Hawaiian, Samoan, Tahitian & Maori...across from the beach. It's a little bit more than a luau but is a unique experience in Maui that we've enjoyed. Better than the OLL? To me it's just different but both are quality events run by the same company.

I agree that hotel luaus are pretty much the same although the OLL is not at a hotel & to me is the best luau. They say that their experience is Hawaiian so if anyone wants fire sword dancers they said that's Samoan & not part of Hawaii...although the Feast at Lele has Samoan fire dancers. Time will probably be a factor with any luau & leaving before the end if getting close to the final tender would be a good idea. It's about a 10 minute walk along Front Street from the Feast at Lele to the tender pier but probably quicker than getting a cab from a Ka'anaplali hotel luau.

Edited by Astro Flyer

Thanks for all the great info , my main concern was missing the last tender , so sound like feast of lele would be the best for us

I believe they have their times listed on their website based on the time of year & if not you could call to ask about your date. Their website lists their food & drink menus to view & consider whether a more standard luau menu is best for you. The executive chef (James McDonald) who set up the menu is highly respected on Maui & his adjacent restaurant (Pacific'O) has entrees in the $30+ range and has been well rated.

The OLL by the Lahaina Cannery Mall (only air conditioned Maui indoor "mall") is closer than those at Ka'anapali hotels but a longer walk from the pier which I wouldn't recommend.

Edited by Astro Flyer

I believe they have their times listed on their website based on the time of year & if not you could call to ask about your date. Their website lists their food & drink menus to view & consider whether a more standard luau menu is best for you. The executive chef (James McDonald) who set up the menu is highly respected on Maui & his adjacent restaurant (Pacific'O) has entrees in the $30+ range and has been well rated.

The OLL by the Lahaina Cannery Mall (only air conditioned Maui indoor "mall") is closer than those at Ka'anapali hotels but a longer walk from the pier which I wouldn't recommend.

I did not know that James McDonald had his hand in the Feast at Lele. I love Pacific O. Thanks for the good info!!!!! Cherie

Thanks for all the great info , my main concern was missing the last tender , so sound like feast of lele would be the best for us

We will need to figure out what we are going to do as we will be doing the same cruise on Radiance in 2016. We get a little more flexibility as we will be overnighting in Lahaina instead of the one day stop.

Here is a link to the live report I did on Rhapsody when we rode over to Hawaii if you are looking for some ideas in the ports.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2096943

[

I did not know that James McDonald had his hand in the Feast at Lele. I love Pacific O. Thanks for the good info!!!!! Cherie

I hadn't realized that their other restaurant I'O had closed as have other long time Maui places such as Stella Blues, Moose McGillycuddy's (Lahaina) and Buzz's Wharf.

Edited by Astro Flyer

Hey everyone. I am interested in a luau, but have not been able to make the final decision yet. I looked at the suggested website mauhawaiiluau.com and there was a lot of info, but this is from there website

Maui luaus are held in Lahaina, Ka'anapali and Wailea. Making finding a luau close to you very easy.

We are tendering in Kahului, and the listed luau's are on the west side. Would that be an issue driving back to Kahului late? Is that a ridiculous distance for a taxi? If we had a drink I would not want to drive.

TIA!

Hey everyone. I am interested in a luau, but have not been able to make the final decision yet. I looked at the suggested website mauhawaiiluau.com and there was a lot of info, but this is from there website

Maui luaus are held in Lahaina, Ka'anapali and Wailea. Making finding a luau close to you very easy.

We are tendering in Kahului, and the listed luau's are on the west side. Would that be an issue driving back to Kahului late? Is that a ridiculous distance for a taxi? If we had a drink I would not want to drive.

TIA!

You are docking in Kahalui, not tendering. The closest luau would be Wailea, which is not really on the west side, like Lahaina and Ka'anapali. I would consider taxi to Wailea (25 minutes) but not to the west side (45-50 minutes).

TIA!

You are docking in Kahalui, not tendering. The closest luau would be Wailea, which is not really on the west side, like Lahaina and Ka'anapali. I would consider taxi to Wailea (25 minutes) but not to the west side (45-50 minutes).

The Hawaii state web site has estimated cab prices from airports (port is near it) & it's $87 to Ka'anapali & $57 to Wailea one-way.

http://hawaii.gov/ogg/ground-transportation/taxi-cabs

SpeediShuttle provides airport service & the Kahului pier you dock at isn't too far from there. You could call to ask about being picked up from the pier & from the airport roundtrip to Wailea for 2 people it's about $95 & slightly less than a cab.

http://www.speedishuttle.com

The limited bus service would not be a good option to me.

If the ship stays overnight renting a car to tour Maui & go to a luau may be a better option. Not drinking & driving is a good idea although you could have a designated driver if you wanted to possibly save money by renting a car.

TIA!

First...sorry Funbobby for hijacking your thread..

Heyletsgo - you might check out the Te Au Moana Luau in Wailea. It is held at the Marriott Wailea and gets good reviews on Trip Advisor. Cherie

Heyletsgo - you might check out the Te Au Moana Luau in Wailea. It is held at the Marriott Wailea and gets good reviews on Trip Advisor. Cherie

We enjoyed that luau for our kids 1st trip to Hawaii but that was in 1983 & don't have any current experience. ;) As I recall the Wailea Four Seasons has a luau but don't think that either luau is performed nightly like the OLL or the Ka'anapali hotels.

We enjoyed that luau for our kids 1st trip to Hawaii but that was in 1983 & don't have any current experience. ;) As I recall the Wailea Four Seasons has a luau but don't think that either luau is performed nightly like the OLL or the Ka'anapali hotels.

You are such a great source of info...I actually had not thought about the night the OP will be going to a luau. If I remember correctly, this is the property next to the Grand Wailea and used to be just an Outrigger, not an Outrigger Marriott, and I walked through the luau with our kids while the fire dance was being done. As you say...that was a long time ago. Cherie

The Grand Wailea also has a luau, 3 times a week, IIRC.

You are such a great source of info...I actually had not thought about the night the OP will be going to a luau. If I remember correctly, this is the property next to the Grand Wailea and used to be just an Outrigger, not an Outrigger Marriott, and I walked through the luau with our kids while the fire dance was being done. As you say...that was a long time ago. Cherie

When we went it was the Intercontinental which I believe is the original name & having visited and lived on Maui since 1981 enjoy exchanging experiences on 2 of my favorite things...Maui & cruises! :D

The Grand Wailea also has a luau, 3 times a week, IIRC.

Mahalo

• 4 weeks later...
We recently drove to the Feast at Lele (they offer a nice discount for locals) and enjoyed it for the 2nd time. It's a sitdown dinner, drinks and performances depicting four Polynesian cultures...Hawaiian, Samoan, Tahitian & Maori...across from the beach. It's a little bit more than a luau but is a unique experience in Maui that we've enjoyed. Better than the OLL? To me it's just different but both are quality events run by the same company.

I agree that hotel luaus are pretty much the same although the OLL is not at a hotel & to me is the best luau. They say that their experience is Hawaiian so if anyone wants fire sword dancers they said that's Samoan & not part of Hawaii...although the Feast at Lele has Samoan fire dancers. Time will probably be a factor with any luau & leaving before the end if getting close to the final tender would be a good idea. It's about a 10 minute walk along Front Street from the Feast at Lele to the tender pier but probably quicker than getting a cab from a Ka'anaplali hotel luau.

What was the Kamaaina rate at Feast of Lele?

Just a comment, The Feast at Lele IS NOT a typical luau. More of a fancy dinner with a theatrical show of Polynesian origin. JMHO

Be sure to read the information comparing the different luaus.

If you are concerned about getting back to the ship on time, it might be best in this instance to do the ship tour.

Astroflyer makes some excellent and accurate points. OLL and Feast at Lele are indeed run by the same great folks and these two luau are well known to be among the best in the entire state, with OLL being the most authentic Hawaiian luau in Hawaii. I've been to both, with FAL twice and count them both as excellent with authentic dances.

One thing one might consider if their ship is not overnighting at Maui is to book one of these luau as a shore excursion through their own cruise line. Most cruise ships tend to wait on their own shore excursions.

Both of the above-mentioned luau are beachfront with lovely views across the Au'au channel to the island of Lanai to the west and glimpses of Moloka'i to the north. For couples, I usually recommend FAL, for families: OLL. OLL offers traditional seating on cushions at low tables which small kids seem to love, and plus there are all sorts of crafts and activities to be seen pre show at OLL. Much less at FAL. If one is interested in a little history of the state of Hawaii, OLL is excellent to weave in interesting historic info in their show and dances. Happy planning!