Costa Allegra not returning to service

Charles4515

I feel this is just the start of a reduction in the number of Costa vessels. With a 35 % drop in bookings, to survive the line will have to get leaner, dropping less profitable routes and ships. This way in time they can rebiuld and come back bigger.

AKK

I feel this is just the start of a reduction in the number of Costa vessels. With a 35 % drop in bookings' date=' to survive the line will have to get leaner, dropping less profitable routes and ships. This way in time they can rebiuld and come back bigger.

AKK[/quote']

They have two fewer ships at this point. Talk about consolidating!

I feel this is just the start of a reduction in the number of Costa vessels. With a 35 % drop in bookings' date=' to survive the line will have to get leaner, dropping less profitable routes and ships. This way in time they can rebiuld and come back bigger.

AKK[/quote']

It is an opportune time to cut back the least profitable ships and routes. Also they state they don't intend to discount. Time will tell if that is possible but cutting the number of berths would help keep the prices stable.

Well........maybe..........it seems a bit conventent timeing, but indeed it maybe true. I would point out, that it is a bit fast to have done a complete engineering review of the cost and likely hood of repairing her......that supports that she was already for sale.

AKK

It is an opportune time to cut back the least profitable ships and routes. Also they state they don't intend to discount. Time will tell if that is possible but cutting the number of berths would help keep the prices stable.

I agree.

It remains to be seen though, whether they will resort to last minute deep discounts, to fill up some empty beths on some sailings. Better to get even a reduced process for a cabin as nothing at all. They must have a lot of fixed costs per sailing and surely a contribution would be welcome, not to mention the onboard spend.

Costa Allegra is 20 years old and, at 28,430 GRT is only 22% as large as new builds such as Carnival Breeze. Maxed out, she could only carry slightly over 1,000 pax. No big surprise that Carnival/Costa decided that she was not worth the investment required to return her to service.

On the subject of Costa's pricing, I am inclined to believe Carnival's executives. They said that they were willing to let Costa ships sail partly empty in order to maintain reasonable (read: "higher" -- these are Carnival execs talking) prices in the European market. It makes sense from their point of view: If Costa slashes prices too far to fill their ships, then all other cruise lines sailing in the same areas must do likewise. In order to keep Princess, P&O, Cunard, Holland America, etc. European prices profitable, Carnival has decided to sacrifice Costa's load factors for the next several months. They will carry fewer passengers but they will do so at prices that are similar to or slightly above last year's level. That way, everyone else can keep their prices up as well.

My guess is that this is the right strategy from a profitability perspective. As a small Carnival shareholder, I approve of what they're trying to do. Time will tell if they made the right call.

Rich

The Allegra and the Marina were the two smallest ships (23,000 tons) in the Costa fleet and had been up for sale for a long time. The Marina was finally sold last year.

Next smallest at 53,000 tons are the Romantica and the Classica. The Romantica, now neoRomantica has just been completely restyled and the Classica is due for the same in a few months although this may slip.

Oh well, I'm sure she did her thing well while she served many cruisers with happy holidays.

Nor far now from Seychelles to Alang

well just because shes for sale does not mean she is on her way to the breakers............She could be brought by another line and put back into service....it would come down to just how bad is the damage.

AKK

Let's remember, aside from certain ultra-luxury lines, such as Seabourn, it's all about economy of scale, and huge floating resorts- the bigger the better.

For some, smaller ships are the ideal choice, and it is possible that Allegra could find a buyer, and this recent incident was a good excuse for Carnival not to put her back in service. She's 2010 SOLAS compliant, so a buyer could be an option.

Remember, Allegra and Marina were once container ships built in 1969. The hull is all that basically remains of the original ships, but not sure about engine / propulsion systems.

For some, smaller ships are the ideal choice, and it is possible that Allegra could find a buyer, and this recent incident was a good excuse for Carnival not to put her back in service.

She's 2010 SOLAS compliant, so a buyer could be an option.

Remember, Allegra and Marina were once container ships built in 1969.

The hull is all that basically remains of the original ships, but not sure about engine / propulsion systems.

I'm delighted to hear that she's 2010 SOLAS compliant, so she has that going for her

but bear in mind that the fire that crippled her roared on and on for several hours

and had to have some additional thermal-damage effect surrounding the actual area of the fire...although repairable.

As with Concordia, only time will tell their fates

John Heald posted this on his Facebook wall today.....

"I was asked by Keith about Costa Concordia and I owe him an apology becuase he is correct.... sort of. I heard from a very senior beard that Costa Concordia is a constructive total loss. So, Carnival Corporation will recieve the insurance proceeds and underwriters will dispose of her.

Costa Allegra has been written down since she won't be repaired or returned to service because she was for sale anyway. Carnival Corporation will decide if she is repaired and sold or scrapped at a later date.

That's the latest news."

It will be interesting to see how much press RCI get over this Fire?

Reports that a small fire broke out aboard Mariner o/t Seas in the Windjammer Cafe just before boarding commenced at Galveston on March 11, 2012.

Embarkation was delayed as was sailaway by 7 hours. Minor damage, mainly smoke, was done to the area and no injuries were reported.

The Windjammer Cafe has remained closed for repairs.

It will be interesting to see how much press RCI get over this Fire?

Reports that a small fire broke out aboard Mariner o/t Seas in the Windjammer Cafe just before boarding commenced at Galveston on March 11, 2012.

Embarkation was delayed as was sailaway by 7 hours. Minor damage, mainly smoke, was done to the area and no injuries were reported.

The Windjammer Cafe has remained closed for repairs.

Likely not much since the ship was not adrift with no power and the damage was minor.

Archived