Alaska cruise question?

pianoman4sq

The ship lets you know when to change your times

Yes, you are correct but I think you don't understand why people would need to know in advance of the cruise. People who ask this question are often trying to book an independent excursion or make plans to meet somebody ashore. Waiting until the evening before an actual time change to find out doesn't do any good.

Yes, you are correct but I think you don't understand why people would need to know in advance of the cruise.

I understand the question, I just don't understand some of the answers.

I frequently read here: "The ship always changes time to the local time."

Based on my experience, and other posts, this isn't ALWAYS true.

And, often there are differences when different countries change

to daylight saving time on different dates.

Going on the Criwn May 30th and wanted to know if the ship stays on the same time or if they adjust times for each port. On a RT from Seattle.

This is actually up to the Captain of the ship. Sometimes they stay on the time when they sailed, sometimes they change the time to match the port's.

If you are booking a non-cruise ship sponsored shore excursion whomever you're booking with should know the ship time.

Princess cruises changes it's time to

match Alaska's time.

Have done four on Princess to Alaska

and they always change time to match

Alaska.

Alaska is one hour earlier. Like if 7pm in San Francisco

it's 6pm in Juneau and other ports.

Edited by Belle

Slightly off topic but when ships go to Puerto Vallarta it can be very confusing. A few miles north of town is a time zone boundary and the ship tends to stay in that time zone since its the same as Mazatlan and Cabo San Lucas - so basically when you are in PV, you have to subtract an hour from any shoreside clock you see. However there is an added benefit that its pretty hard to be late and miss the ship if you totally forget that note.

On our Alaskan cruises, the ships have always changed their clocks to local time. But it could differ. The best thing to do is find out from someone on one of the previous sailings on that ship and itinerary. In the OP's case, that would be the May 16 cruise.

Alaska bound ships change time the second night out before arriving in Ketchikan. Southbound ships change time the night after leaving Ketchikan. At least that has been my experience on numerous Alaska cruises.