Ferry Boat not Queen

Jimsgirl

Sold in North America as "July 13-21 , as 8 day cruise visiting Norway," these dates July 13-15 July 15-19, and July 19-21 were sold in Germany at ridiculously low prices as 2 day, 4 day and 2 day cruises, and the result was 2,000 ( three different two thousand passengers came on board at three different ports) for "cheap short getaways"

Everything on board became slanted to these "shorties" , traditional cruisers were swamped , it was not a good marketing ploy.

Since Cunard plan to do these 2/3/4 days cheap cruises in ALL 3 Queens for the next 18 months , any one looking for a traditional Cunard experience should check their dates very carefully and not travel when these "cheapies" are being offered in Germany(which seemed to be the only place they were offered).

It is definitely a case of " buyer beware" otherwise you could be very disappointed , North American travel agents should also beware or they may have a number of irate customers .

Sold in North America as "July 13-21 , as 8 day cruise visiting Norway," these dates July 13-15 July 15-19, and July 19-21 were sold in Germany at ridiculously low prices as 2 day, 4 day and 2 day cruises, and the result was 2,000 ( three different two thousand passengers came on board at three different ports) for "cheap short getaways"

Everything on board became slanted to these "shorties" , traditional cruisers were swamped , it was not a good marketing ploy.

Since Cunard plan to do these 2/3/4 days cheap cruises in ALL 3 Queens for the next 18 months , any one looking for a traditional Cunard experience should check their dates very carefully and not travel when these "cheapies" are being offered in Germany(which seemed to be the only place they were offered).

It is definitely a case of " buyer beware" otherwise you could be very disappointed , North American travel agents should also beware or they may have a number of irate customers .

I was bitterly disappointed a few months back to discover that I could have run one of these three nighters end to end with my last cruise thus giving me visits to Zeebrugge and Cherbourg for some serious ship photography before sailing off to Norway and Iceland where rust buckets were in seriously short supply. Sadly I didn't spot the opportunity until everything had sold out. I will be paying more attention in future.

J

Thank you for reporting your observations and experience. I had been looking at an itinerary that included Hamburg and Oslo but hesitated as it was an Oslo segment where Cunard ran the "rocker" cruise last year. That, and others reported bad experiences with "booze cruises" in general and some German passengers in particular. After reading your experience - no way. If I want to hear "Land of Hope and Glory" as QM2 sails away I'll forget about Hamburg and plug in some headphones elsewhere.

Jimsgirl,

We were on the same cruise as you--a B2B with the crossing to New York, arriving yesterday.

We were extremely disappointed with our experience on the QM2 during the 3 short cruises. This was something we were not made aware of by Cunard when booking our cruises. It was a VERY different, and unpleasant, experience compared to the usual Cunard cruise.

There were well over 2000 Germans on board for each of the three segments, and English-speakers were very much a minority. Public venues were taken over by loud, inebriated German speaking guests. The Britannia waitstaff were stressed beyond belief. One waiter complained that the German guests ordered everything on the menu at each meal. A sommelier at lunch commented that his work was made more difficult since each drink was paid for by a separate ship's card, even within the same family. Shore excursions were unpleasant due to pushing and shoving. One woman was almost knocked to the ground as people pushed to board a boat in Stavanger, despite the fact that everyone had tickets--so there would be seats for all. The comedian on the second cruise commented in his act: "We in England 'queue.' In the US, you 'line up.' What is the German word for 'queue?' Oh wait, there is no German word for 'queue.' I am uncomfortable making a generalization about a culture, but these guests were rude and unfriendly, and pushed their way into elevators before people with walkers and wheelchairs. In fact, there was an announcement, in both English and German for people to please allow those with mobility issues to board elevators first. Tendering lines were disregarded and people just pushed ahead.

Because of the "fractured" experience, the same identical menus were served three times in one week to in-transit guests at lunch. Room stewards had triple work.

There was one excellent experience: as we sailed out of Hamburg for the second time, it was the 10th anniversary of QM2's visit to Hamburg and the city turned out to cheer her as she made her way down the Elbe. There was a huge boat parade to accompany her, with fireworks and cheers.

I suggest you double check with your TA and Cunard whether this schedule will be present on your cruise.

Ricki

Hi Jimsgirl,

Thank you for your post, full of information.

Sold in North America as "July 13-21 , as 8 day cruise visiting Norway" these dates July 13-15 July 15-19, and July 19-21 were sold in Germany at ridiculously low prices as 2 day, 4 day and 2 day cruises, and the result was 2,000 ( three different two thousand passengers came on board at three different ports) for "cheap short getaways"
So the Norway cruise didn't sell well in North America or in the UK. Not good to have 600 unprofitable passengers rattling around for a week in a ship designed for 2,600 profitable ones.
Everything on board became slanted to these "shorties" ... it was not a good marketing ploy.
Sounds as if it was the perfect marketing ploy (as far as Cunard are concerned). It filled the ship. You can't have 600 passengers on a ship built for 2,600 and still expect to make a profit.

Recently I did a Southampton-Hamburg-Southampton trip (end of an EB crossing and beginning of a WB one). The passenger demographic was very different to what I've experienced on a WB crossing that originates in Southampton.

However I knew it would be, given the route and destinations of my short cruise. Frankly I'm surprised that your recent experience came as a shock to you.

May I suggest that next time you stay in the UK for a week (at a good hotel) whilst QM2 visits northern Europe?

Or better still, maybe stop crossing on QM2 completely, that way you can avoid meeting people from northern Europe in their own "back yard" as this seems so distasteful to many. There are I believe, many, many cruises out of Florida that avoid Europe completely.

Thank you again for your informative post. Best wishes.

Edited by pepperrn

... There were well over 2000 Germans on board for each of the three segments, and English-speakers were very much a minority. Public venues were taken over by loud, inebriated German speaking guests. The Britannia waitstaff were stressed beyond belief. One waiter complained that the German guests ordered everything on the menu at each meal. A sommelier at lunch commented that his work was made more difficult since each drink was paid for by a separate ship's card, even within the same family. Shore excursions were unpleasant due to pushing and shoving. One woman was almost knocked to the ground as people pushed to board a boat in Stavanger, despite the fact that everyone had tickets--so there would be seats for all. The comedian on the second cruise commented in his act: "We in England 'queue.' In the US, you 'line up.' What is the German word for 'queue?' Oh wait, there is no German word for 'queue.' I am uncomfortable making a generalization about a culture, but these guests were rude and unfriendly, and pushed their way into elevators before people with walkers and wheelchairs. In fact, there was an announcement, in both English and German for people to please allow those with mobility issues to board elevators first. Tendering lines were disregarded and people just pushed ahead. ... Ricki
Hi Ricki,

I am so sorry to read of your experience on board QM2 in northern Europe recently.

Sadly, a lot of what you report above, I was also subjected to, or witnessed on my recent Southampton-Hamburg-Southampton mini-cruise (not the tendering of course).

Time and again certain people pushed in front of others lined up to enter rooms or venues. Most noticeably entering the Queens Room for afternoon tea or breakfast/lunch in the Britannia Restaurant.

A fellow passenger was overheard to comment (in a "stage whisper") "if they want seats why didn't they simply leave a towel on the table at dawn as usual?"

I hope that the rest of your crossings were great however. As I suggested to Jimsgirl above, why not spend a week in the UK next time and avoid parts of northern Europe, the "Rock Cruises" and Hamburg completely.

All best wishes and happy sailings for the future :)

Edited by pepperrn

Unfortunately all this reports are so true and I have to apologize for my fellow citizens. In fact we have decided not to join this trips again after travelling to Oslo early last year.

I really feel sorry for both crew and international passengers and I would really insist on Cunard to stop this cheap selling.

But to tell the whole story we have certainly not enjoyed the attendance of a british gentleman in PG on QV to Copenhagen in December 2012 wearing a disgusting football club blazer in big red and yellow stripes and drinking by far too much on dinner while his youngsters were using their mobile phones intensely.

You will find this bad behaviour all over the world.

People are different - not only the cheapies.

Thank you, Pepper and Cunardaddict, unfortunately, rude behavior crosses all cultures. Ricki
Sadly Ricki you are correct :( .

And if you tackle it, or mention it at the time, suddenly you are to blame...

Sincere best wishes :) ,

Edited by pepperrn

I admit I have always considered the QM2 nothing more than a floating hotel. I check-in in New York, eat and drink a little, read and sleep a lot, a week of this and I check out, voila, in Southampton. A few months later I reverse the process.

Peppern makes a good point, there are other lines. Just a quick look and I saw that Crystal has a New York to London trip in June 2015 with an Amsterdam to New York return at the end of August. Silversea has a Southampton to Montreal sailing a week later.

While the advice was not directed to me, I think I will follow it. A little change could do me good.

Thank you, Jimsgirl for sharing your insights and experience. ...You are wise and wonderful and I hope that someday we will have the opportunity to meet on shipboard.

I agree wholeheartedly with Pepper and cunardaddict that rudeness is rudeness and not blamable on any nationality or single culture---no matter the form, it is recognizable and distasteful. …and, most importantly, unnecessary.

I am so, so sorry Jimsgirl that your voyage had some disappointments.

I admit I have always considered the QM2 nothing more than a floating hotel. I check-in in New York, eat and drink a little, read and sleep a lot, a week of this and I check out, voila, in Southampton. A few months later I reverse the process.

Peppern makes a good point, there are other lines. Just a quick look and I saw that Crystal has a New York to London trip in June 2015 with an Amsterdam to New York return at the end of August. Silversea has a Southampton to Montreal sailing a week later.

While the advice was not directed to me, I think I will follow it. A little change could do me good.

I do not think that Jimsgirl and others meant to comment the TA but the additional short trips within Europe. So you don't need to change the line for a TA.

She is pretty nice on a segment of a World Cruise, also.

Unfortunately, for the last several years, QM2 World Cruises haven't been docking in the USA. : (

To be fair, however, I believe our friends in Australia have been enjoying her services on her World Cruise routes….

I do not think that Jimsgirl and others meant to comment the TA but the additional short trips within Europe. So you don't need to change the line for a TA.

The July 6-13 and July21-28 TA portions were as expected, a mix of nationalities, and yes I did meet some lovely people on these including a family from Germany and others from Switzerland.

It was the swamping of over 2,000 people who came on board for just 2 a change of 2,000 for 4 days and another 2,000 because it was a ridiculous bargain price - worked out about $65 per day incl . rail transport where needed.

Maybe if Cunard lowered the price for North America they would not have needed to do this "horror " sell out . Though according to a leaflet I got on board they have 18 of these planned for next 18 months, plus a similar number on each of he other Queens.

It is NOT because they need to fill the ship, some of these are for as late as November and December 2015 - that's correct 2015 . These cheap appealing to the lowest denominator

are a deliberate policy by Angus Struther Sales Director of Cunard.

He does not know that you cannot mix oil and water in the same container.

I was also on the Southampton to Southampton part of Jimsgirls cruise. I will start by saying I love Germany and it is one of my favorite countries to visit so I am not Europe bashing BUT this 9 day holiday was rather weird and totally different to other times I have been on the QM2. After reading Jimsgirls comments about Cunard selling the middle sections as a cheap holiday the behavior of some of the passengers now makes sense.

The first night there was hardly any entertainment except football in the cinema, winter garden, golden lion pub and a few other rooms. Yes I know it was the world cup and we were on route to Germany but not everyone likes football.

For the middle part when we had 2000 Germans on board there was very little in the way of entertainment as most of it was in German.

People were much more informally dressed and apart from the 1 formal night (out of the 8 nights onboard), most people were quite casually dressed after 9pm. Lost of people on public areas in jeans. I actually felt very overdressed most of the time and dressed down towards the end of the week.

I was travelling with a disabled passenger and we often struggled to get into the lifts (infact they made an announcement every morning asking passengers to give disabled people priority which most people ignored). We couldn't visit the theatre as able bodied people took up the disabled seats just because they were nearer (even though the theatre was half empty). They staff wouldn't ask them to move so we basically had to leave because we had no other choice of seat. I though that was plain rude as the people seated knew what they had done but didn't care.

Each time we sat at the back of the cinema in the disabled seats people came in and stood at the back talking the whole time so we could hear nothing.

I have never experienced this attitude towards disabled people before as normally passengers go out of their way to be helpful.

There are signs in the seating area of the library requesting silence - no one took any noticed and they all sat chatting away. Why go to the librarby is you want to sit and chat.

I know just because people buy a short break cheaply, that it dosn't mean they don't want the QM2 experience, but there were a lot of people on-board this time who really didn't want to keep the tradition, didn't have any manners and didn't really care, which was actually quite sad.

But the QM2 was as wonderful as ever, food was lovely, staff were great. Thankfully the weather was good to us so the lack of day time entertainment wasn't too much of an issue. The Hamburg sail away was fantastic and something not to be missed.

I had a similar experience last year. The crossings were fine but the in-betweens were not totally enjoyable. I knew ahead of time what I might be facing and I found that previous comments I'd read or heard were similar. I have never shared the ship before with such rude and pushy people. When they opened the dining room for brk. or lunch it was wise to stand back until the stampede subsided. Yes, it felt like a ferry boat at times and I got tired of the constant comings and goings and luggage in the halls.

This year, my choices were limited but I made sure that it did not include any Hamburg stops.

But to tell the whole story we have certainly not enjoyed the attendance of a british gentleman in PG on QV to Copenhagen in December 2012 wearing a disgusting football club blazer in big red and yellow stripes ........

A football blazer in PG? The dress code police will be all over it like a rash.

The disappopinting thing is that we get plenty of booze cruises advertised in the UK but they are 2-3 days with lines like P&O, Princess, RCCL. Cheap deals in the back pages of the tabloids. All that is fine, if you like that sort of stuff. But Cunard doing it as well? The world is going mad.

Hi Mrs. Jimsgirl.

Welcome home Lynn. I'm very sorry about the disappointments you encountered on your cruise; we know how much you where looking forward to it, and how much time (not to mention money) you devoted to planning your holiday.

Thanks for the 'heads-up' about the itinerary that includes mini-cruises.

Regards,

Salacia

Zenabythesea has completed a picture that I can confirm from earlier short trips.

Only I don't think it's fair to complain over the entertainment programme adressed to the majority of the passengers. This is always the same situation for any minority. English speaking passengers are not entiteled to have generally a wider choice - it is the momentary majority that "rules" the ships course.

The Cunard 3 to 5 day short trips from Hamburg are not all marketed as booze trips - drinks on the ship are for most Germans limited by their high price compared to home. Unfortunately many Germans namely from the Berlin region and Bavaria do behave like this even when sober.

Zenabythesea has completed a picture that I can confirm from earlier short trips.

Only I don't think it's fair to complain over the entertainment programme adressed to the majority of the passengers. This is always the same situation for any minority. English speaking passengers are not entiteled to have generally a wider choice - it is the momentary majority that "rules" the ships course.

The Cunard 3 to 5 day short trips from Hamburg are not all marketed as booze trips - drinks on the ship are for most Germans limited by their high price compared to home. Unfortunately many Germans namely from the Berlin region and Bavaria do behave like this even when sober.

The problem is that QM2 is sold everywhere as "an English experience" The formality , and elegance is the focus of everything you read with respect to the experience on board.

You cannot have an English experience when the whole ship resounds to the sound of the German language. including the entertainment. also a passenger who will be on board for only 2 nights will not follow a dress code (even if it is "suggested " rather than mandated)

I saw a German couple berate a waiter because he did not speak German (he was from a Pacific island ), the female passenger threw the menu across the table spilling the milk and stalked out . In the elevator I was pushed away, so a group of friends could get on, I did manage to squeeze in, but when I went to push the button for my deck, my hand was grabbed, and I was told (in German accented English) "YOU WILL WAIT UNTIL WE LEAVE" even though the elevator would reach my deck before theirs!

This behavior was everywhere, selling 2/3/4 day "trips" (not cruises) ruined the 8 day CRUISE for which others had paid many $$$$. Cunard should have realized that you cannot mix FULL fare paying passengers who come for the elegance and atmosphere of QM2 with 2 day "cheap week enders" out to eat as much as they can, drink and shout , wearing outfits that were more suited to cleaning the rain gutters of their house than after 6p.m on the QM2.

It was not to fill empty cabins, it was a deliberate sales scheme, which I sad to say Cunard plan on doing for all three Queens for next 18 months - they are even selling these "trips" for Nov/Dec 2015 .

I wasn't complaining as such, I just think Cunard markets the entertainment as it is (and to be fair the reason most of us love the QM2) and on this trip it was completely different to any other one I had been on and that in itself was disappointing. I love Germany as a country but when you take the Englishness out of the QM2, she just becomes another ship and that is the issue rather than me expecting everyone to speak English.

I paid full price for my 8 night holiday and I was not told it was a minicruise plus the end and then start of transatlantic crossings, so not really a proper 8 night cruise at all. We were told it was a holiday starting and ending in the UK so we had every right to expect the main language to be in English with the expected amount of lectures, movies, shows etc. If they had planned to have German as the main language we should have been told in advance so we could decided if we wanted to book this cruise or a different one. I appreciate they were over 2000 Germans on board, so it was the majority language but by making it suit the majority they took away the QM2 character and made her into a german cruise ship. Once you have taken away her elegance & character you have taken away the reason to book.

Cunard does need to either shop marketing the QM2 as they do and just make her into another run of the mill cruise ship, or start enforcing the rules. Even in the ballroom late at night they were ladies very casually dressed dancing with the gentleman dancers - they weren't drunk or rude and were obviously really enjoying there short trip, (and actually the dancing was nice to watch) but the casual attire did spoil the elegant ambience.

Whilst I had a lovely holiday the QM2 was not how they advertise her to be.

My favoured option would be for QM2 to only call at Hamburg as the start/end of transatlantic crossings. QE & QV to never call at Hamburg.

Therefore cruises from Southampton to Norway and the Baltics, whether on QM2, QE or QV would sail straight there, ignoring Hamburg altogether.

AIDA cruises (also owned by Carnival) can then cruise to Norway etc from Hamburg offering bargain prices. Then those German nationals, who are looking for a cheap cruise, would find the on-board ambiance, language and lack of formal queues and dress-code more to their liking.

Otherwise, I fear that many passengers from North America and the UK will quickly stop booking any cruises with Hamburg included, and if these cruises continue, the only way to fill the ships will be to "give them away" to people embarking at Hamburg.

One further point, on the OP's cruise, had the ship been booked fairly full with English-speaking passengers (because Cunard had marketed it correctly in the US, Canada & UK (clearly they did not)), there would have no need to fill it with 2,000 new passengers at Hamburg. Same goes for the future cruises that Jimsgirl mentions "over the next eighteen months". If the cruises with calls at Hamburg are to continue, and are "sold" correctly in the US, Canada & UK, the number of passengers embarking at Hamburg will be so few that they will not alter the on-board experience for others significantly.

Personally (even before reading this current thread) I have never, and would not, book a cruise to Norway from Southampton that called at Hamburg.

But, of course, Cunard won't listen to me.

Edited by pepperrn

Hello Jimsgirl, I joined a Caribbean Cruise on QM2 in 2008 and 2009. There was no English athmosphere neither was the dresscode followed by the majority of passengers nor was politeness practised. It was a "I paid for it - I want it all for me!" trip. It was a cheap sold booze cruise American style during a serious economic crisis and other nationalities were treated as intruders by many passengers even in QG. We were lucky to share our table with 2 very pleasant, intelligent and educated couples from NY and NJ and enjoyed this cruise.

Were ever we travel we have to accept that regional habits will be practised by the majority of locals even if we don't like theese habits. If we travel in China we cannot complain that people spit on the floor. If you walk along a beach in northern Europe you have to be prepared to see many nude people (btw it does not harm you or anyone else at all). If you drive a car in UK you have to drive on the other side of the lane. If we tavel trough the US we have to accept that we may be shot dead by any civilian or policeman without a reason.

Expectations are not always met and all sales programmes sell illusions only.

HI peppern,

all Cunard ships do call at Hamburg. QE visited even my local harbour in 2012 an QV calls regulary at Rostock Warnemunde.

None of this cruises is sold cheap. I paid the normal price per day as on any other Cunard Journey. Only very few insides are sold for 70 Euro per day and person. It's only that many Germans can afford to spent more than they deserve judged on the attitude towards their fellow passengers. The worst experience on a Cunard cruis for me was meeting a German couple that had won the crise in a sweepstake.

AIDA is a completely different cruise style and I do recall that US passengers on a Caribbean AIDA cruise complained because the language on this ship was German.