6 ships in port on the same day

jasperado

Hello

Just looking at the itinerary for our forthcoming Caribbean cruise in January 2017 and I notice that when we call in to St Maarten there will be 6 large ships due in that day - Azura, Regal Princess, Carnival Sunshine, Oasis OTS, Konindsdam and Celebrity Equinox :eek:

Any tips where to venture to escape the throng, and how is the best way to do that?

It is our first Caribbean cruise so I am open to all suggestions from you experience people.

Thank you

You should make a plan: if all you want to do is shop, you can walk or water-taxi into town; if you want to tour the island without having your own input, you should consider booking a ship's tour; I would suggest you do a bit of research and decide what you want: just tour the island, tour and shop, tour and beach, primarily beach - and then how you want to do it. Taxi's are plentiful, rental cars also - but you should book in advance to ensure availability.

Some people want to see the planes land at SXM - and build their day around that. Whatever you choose will be impacted by the crowds, traffic getting back to the ship must be considered. On a busy port day like yours, knowing in advance what you want to do is very important.

Thank you all. I like to DIY so having as much information is important. I would like a quietish beach but with a few facilities. We are not interested in seeing the planes.

I have read that Mullet Bay is nice and hope that we could maybe get a bus or taxi. Can taxis be booked in advance or is it just "turn up and see"??

Thanks again :)

Thank you all. I like to DIY so having as much information is important. I would like a quietish beach but with a few facilities. We are not interested in seeing the planes.

I have read that Mullet Bay is nice and hope that we could maybe get a bus or taxi. Can taxis be booked in advance or is it just "turn up and see"??

Taxis are generally available - it pays to share, so if you get to know people with similar interests on board you can go together - or just be willing to share a ride from the cruise terminal where they usually pool riders to the same destination. As an example : two people to Dawn Beach $12 each, three to five would be $6 or $7 each - a van with six or more would be $5 each.

Where do you find how many boats are in port on a given day?

http://www.cruisett.com are really good, third tab from left at top of page says "ports" and will list all the ports in the world. Just go to the dates you are interested in, But not all cruise lines publish a lot in advance.

Also just ask google "how many cruise ships in (port name)" and you will find links to the relevant port authority. This is handy to know if a particular port is going to be busy, thats how I know there will possibly be 21,000 cruisers in St Maarten on our particular day.

Mullet is a nice beach, but not a place to escape crowds. So, what to do? If you are willing to get yourself a rental car you could drive over towards Marigot and go to Friar's Bay Beach. You will likely be the only cruisers on the entire beach, which does have 2 restaurants. And if you truly want to get away from the world, you can hike about 10-15 min along the trail to Happy Beach where there used to be a guy who had a BBQ shack. Happy Beach is as remote as you can get...and this does make it popular with a few nudist folks...if that is an issue.

Hank

Hello

Just looking at the itinerary for our forthcoming Caribbean cruise in January 2017 and I notice that when we call in to St Maarten there will be 6 large ships due in that day - Azura, Regal Princess, Carnival Sunshine, Oasis OTS, Konindsdam and Celebrity Equinox :eek:

Any tips where to venture to escape the throng, and how is the best way to do that?

It is our first Caribbean cruise so I am open to all suggestions from you experience people.

Thank you

A boat excursion from Doc Maarten or Bobby's marina would be ideal as they are both within easy walking distance from the pier.

• 1 month later...

All of the ships will be docked so you can easily get on & off as you want. St. Maarten does seem to do pretty well with the large crowd. When we stayed on the island there were 5 ships on one day. While Philipsburg was bustling you could still walk around, get help in a shop, find a place to sit, eat & get a cocktail.

If you are looking for a quieter area you might consider heading up to Grand Case, nice beaches, shops & tons of LOLO (locally owned, locally operated) restaurants with some great BBQ.

http://www.cruisett.com are really good, third tab from left at top of page says "ports" and will list all the ports in the world. Just go to the dates you are interested in, But not all cruise lines publish a lot in advance.

Also just ask google "how many cruise ships in (port name)" and you will find links to the relevant port authority. This is handy to know if a particularly cular port is going to be busy, thats how I know there will possibly be 21,000 cruisers in St Maarten on our particular day.

Thank you for posting the info. I'm going to check and see how it looks when we will be there. Either way, we will have a great time. :):):)

I am curious why you say that. We hit lots of traffic heading over to Grand Case with fewer ships in port. Was that not the norm?

Heading over to Grand Case from where? What route?

Up or down the Eastern side of the island between P'Burg and Grand Case has never been a problem for us, and I've logged lots of miles on the island.

It's only about 7 miles.

gary

Yay! Only 1 ship sharing Amber Cove with us, 3 ships sharing St. Maarten with 1 not arriving Until 2pm, and 5 at St Thomas. I'm very happy. :):):)

Its a handy site! Last year when we were in The Med and calling into Civitavecchia for Rome we knew that it would be really busy, so organised our taxis well in advance. Other people without the foresight lost out in going anywhere because it was a Sunday and there was no public transport.

Have a great vacation :)

I am curious why you say that. We hit lots of traffic heading over to Grand Case with fewer ships in port. Was that not the norm?

If, as you leave the port, you go through Phillipsburg then up through Marigot to Grand Case you will hit heavy traffic - and worse coming back on that route. Going up the east side of the island, avoiding downtown Phillipsburg, past Oyster Pond to Orient Bay then west across to Grand Case, you might travel a mile or so further but will avoid any serious traffic both ways.

We have been when there have been seven ships in. But if you go on the water taxi and walk round the town and on the front, it will not be too bad. Do not get off the ship straight away when the trips go hang fire for a bit.

Hope you enjoy we always do.