Cell Phones at port in Bahamas

din2play2

I can not say specifically about GSC as I have never been there - but I would assume based off of what I know that you won't have service there other than through the ship (which wouldn't be any different than when at sea).

At Atlantis (I'm assuming in Nassau) then it would depend if you enabled your phone to be used internationally and if they have coverage there or an agreement with a local carrier. You will need to talk to your carrier before hand but either way it won't be 'included' in your domestic plan. These plans are usually either by the min and/or so many mins/texts for a certain price.

Either way usually not cheap and/or worth it unless absolutely necessary.

How about in St. Thomas? That's an American territory. I have verizon.

Cell phone charges on your Verizon phone from St. Thomas USVA or San Juan, PR are just like making a call from beautiful downtown Hubbard. No additional roaming or long distance charges.

So yourself a favor... leave the cell phone turned off on the ship and enjoy your vacation!

Even though my phone is enabled for the islands and Mexico and the rates haven't been too bad, I got stung with high charges for making calls just standing near the ship (150' away) in Long Beach, CA and Puerto Vallarta in 2011. And Verizon wouldn't back down when I told them that I wasn't on the ship.

So, since then, I take my Ipod, Ipad, or MacBook with me and check and send my email in port when I go on cruises. There's a McDonald's that has free Wi-Fi on West Bay Street a few blocks past the straw market. I'm not sure about St. Thomas but you can probably find the nearest free Wi-Fi by googling it and 'Havensight'.

One more thing, some of the jewelry stores have free Wi-Fi but you need a password. Ask the shopping talk guy or girl for it. Most of the sales people in the stores will tell you but I ran into one in Belize in February who refused.

Cell phone charges on your Verizon phone from St. Thomas USVA or San Juan, PR are just like making a call from beautiful downtown Hubbard. No additional roaming or long distance charges.

Can I call while I am onboard or do I have to get away from the ship?

My whole point in saying "do yourself a favor and leave it on the ship" was not for savings advise, all for enjoying a world disconnected from email, phone and social media :eek:. I know shocking, LOL.

I think we (as a society) feel tied to everything electronic and one of my favorite things about cruising is the forced disconnection. Nothing more aggravating then people walking around with the cell phones in hand ignoring the people they are traveling with or sitting in the dining room with it. I digress... Bahamas international rates are horrible (at least with Sprint). I would still suggest checking with your company prior to sailing.

Can I call while I am onboard or do I have to get away from the ship?

You can call onboard just make sure your phone reads the carrier you use,,att, verizon etc. We always use our phone onboard while docked we just look for the ATT symbol on the phone before we dial.

When I was in Nassau I stopped at a nice looking restaurant near the bus stop and used the free wifi to catch up with some conch fritters (very good eats) and a Bahama

Mama. If you have skype you can make calls over wifi

You can call onboard just make sure your phone reads the carrier you use,,att, verizon etc. We always use our phone onboard while docked we just look for the ATT symbol on the phone before we dial.

Thanks.

My whole point in saying "do yourself a favor and leave it on the ship" was not for savings advise, all for enjoying a world disconnected from email, phone and social media :eek:. I know shocking, LOL.

I think we (as a society) feel tied to everything electronic and one of my favorite things about cruising is the forced disconnection. Nothing more aggravating then people walking around with the cell phones in hand ignoring the people they are traveling with or sitting in the dining room with it. I digress... Bahamas international rates are horrible (at least with Sprint). I would still suggest checking with your company prior to sailing.

We are doing a B2B while at home they are remodeling my kitchen. My niece is scheduled to give birth in the next few weeks. Some of us need to be able to check in.

All major (US) mobile providers have an international or global support desk, it's always best to speak with them and/or check the carrier's online website for most current & updated info and rates, and settings unique or specific to your smartphone or mobile device. We can only offer general tips or advice and if you get billed for charges, we are not at a position to waive them.

Okay, for VZW - it's subject to change, without notice, and valid at this moment only

** Puerto Rico - Domestic Call & Data, no extra charges

** St. Thomas - $1.99 per minute voice calling. Data is Pay As You Go

** Cruise Ship (onboard/while at sea) $2.49 per minute. Global Data $25/100MB or PAYG at $0.020/KB or $20.48/MB

Taxes/surcharges & carrier fees are additional

When in doubt, always call your carrier's billing & support desk first.

You can use your phone on the ship, while at sea. It will work just like at home, but will cost $2.49 a minute. Same if somebody calls your regular/normal number.

When in port, it should be on the local carrier. It will not say ATT, etc. It will have the name of the LOCAL carrier and you will pay their rates, via ATT, etc.

• 1 month later...
I bought the int'l data plan for the month - and was able to use it when we were in port, although I was so nervous about going over the amount that I only used 1/2 of the data I had for intn'l

We have ATT-just got off the phone with them. Needed two packages one for the ship and one for land. $30 each/voice only - 50 minutes on the ship and 15 minutes on Land. That was the cheapest they had. She said leave Data Roaming off and to call a day or two before we leave and it will be billed for that months billing cycle. $60.00 for 65 minutes.

If someone from home calls or texts me that is no charge to me or them as it goes on the domestic plan. I can call them back and it would be part of this plan.

Does that sound right to any one that cruised before?

You would have to pay international rates for time in either of the islands, Bahamas international is very expensive. So yourself a favor... leave the cell phone turned off on the ship and enjoy your vacation!

Much cheaper to use ship phone.1.99 per min. And no tax

Lock up the cell phone and forget about it.

look up on the AT&T website, they do not have a cellular plan for NCL only Royal and another line. Int. plan will give you reduced rates. I was told texting is the same. I always read the website and then call so I am somewhat informed. Turn off data roaming for email or that could lead to a much larger bill.

All major (US) mobile providers have an international or global support desk, it's always best to speak with them and/or check the carrier's online website for most current & updated info and rates, and settings unique or specific to your smartphone or mobile device. We can only offer general tips or advice and if you get billed for charges, we are not at a position to waive them.

Okay, for VZW - it's subject to change, without notice, and valid at this moment only

** Puerto Rico - Domestic Call & Data, no extra charges

** St. Thomas - $1.99 per minute voice calling. Data is Pay As You Go

** Cruise Ship (onboard/while at sea) $2.49 per minute. Global Data $25/100MB or PAYG at $0.020/KB or $20.48/MB

Taxes/surcharges & carrier fees are additional

When in doubt, always call your carrier's billing & support desk first.

Just to clarify the St. Thomas info - if you have a data plan on Verizon, your data usage is just part of your plan, no additional charge unless you happen to go over your plan amount.

look up on the AT&T website, they do not have a cellular plan for NCL only Royal and another line. Int. plan will give you reduced rates. I was told texting is the same. I always read the website and then call so I am somewhat informed. Turn off data roaming for email or that could lead to a much larger bill.

I noticed that NCL wasn't listed but I told the woman I was speaking with I was on NCL and that is what she told me. I still have over 45 days to travel so I'll call back and get it straight.

I'm just wondering if we need any cell plan at all or just have the family call the ship if there's an emergency. If there is we call home and fly back.

Or maybe just get the ships internet plan and email a few times during the cruise to be sure everything is okay.

I really don't want to use my phone while we are away. I only want it for emergencies.

I noticed that NCL wasn't listed but I told the woman I was speaking with I was on NCL and that is what she told me. I still have over 45 days to travel so I'll call back and get it straight.

I'm just wondering if we need any cell plan at all or just have the family call the ship if there's an emergency. If there is we call home and fly back.

Or maybe just get the ships internet plan and email a few times during the cruise to be sure everything is okay.

I really don't want to use my phone while we are away. I only want it for emergencies.

We use our phone on every cruise we go on.

Calls at sea are $2.49 a minute. They are carried by another carrier but show up on your home phone bill. Works just like being at home. You do not need a plan or anything special. Any unlimited plan you might have does NOT count when at sea.

I agree, I think one of the BEST things about cruising is not having to worry about the phone and other electronics. I tell everyone I am disconnected for a week unless it's an absolute emergency and then I do check texts when we port as they do not cost but do not worry about calling. It's what makes cruising so enjoyable, no worries or stress!

I have ATT and I get the international plan for the month and use the text options in port for emergency contacts. I also give the ship number in case of immediate emergency as I have an ill mom and need to make sure someone can get a hold of me.