Where's the lobsta?

bagpiper1

Welcome perspective and well said. Here's mine, which I've likely already posted somewhere here. (If it's a repeat, sorry.)

Growing up, my grandmother was cursed with the love of lobster. She would eat it all day, everyday, if allowed, but her parents would only let her eat it occasionally, and more or less in secret: lobster was food for poor people. It's not that her family had much money--in fact they didn't, they were simple farmers and therein lay the problem: if it got out they they were feeding their children lobster, well, the bank might call in the loan used to finance the farm equipment. Some 12-year-olds would wander down to the docks for a sneaky cigarette in those days--my grandmother would try to come home with a lobster.

Did you know they used to feed the prisoners during the Salem witch trials lobster as well ? They would just throw the lobsters into the flooded muddy 2x3 cells!!! Alive and crawling too!

Lobsters were right up there with rats back then!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Frog legs! Yes, I love them and cook them from time to time here at the house when I can get them.

Snails in Italy - there are two different kinds. Large land ones and small sea snails. I love the small sea snails. They're so small you need a toothpick to get the snail out. Yum!

Harriet

Back in 1984 we did 8 days post cruise on the Italian Rivera and the Lake District

We were in San Remo and since we had a car and I am a big Picasso fan my mom and i wanted to drive to Antibes to the Picasso museum

We had a great day and the highlight of the day was sitting on the beach in Antibes just soaking up local color so to speak

Behind us was a rock retaining wall and we noticed a woman with a basket pulling something off the rocks

We speak Italian and so did the woman so we struck up a conversation and asked what she was doing

She very nicely opened the top of the basket and lo and behold.....about 100 live crawling snails!!!

She offered to give us some too!!

We declined but I still swoon over escargot and so do all my kids!!!

And I relate my above snail story to them often

They always order them on cruises

However forget about lobster on cruises because what is really missing these days on cruises is....frogs legs!!!! Another delicacy!!!

Did you know they used to feed the prisoners during the Salem witch trials lobster as well ? They would just throw the lobsters into the flooded muddy 2x3 cells!!! Alive and crawling too!

Lobsters were right up there with rats back then!

That is so true....lobsters are nothing more than bottom feeding scavengers of the ocean. If all the people here on cc that are losing their minds over the fact that NCL have discontinued serving lobster only knew what these crustaceans regularly eat. As I said before, they are scavengers! They eat any and everything that is for the taking. Think of what happens to road kill...the dead animal will lay on the road until a crow or another opportunistic scavenger happens by then that animal carcass soon disappears. Does anybody know of any restaurants that serves a nicely prepared roasted crow for no less than $50? I didn't think so...

Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy eating a nice lobster every once in a while but acting like the world is coming to an end because NCL has chosen to stop offering lobster in the MDR. Really?

I can purchase fresh caught lobster locally from a roadside fisherman vendor for $5/lb. A $20 bill can buy a fresh lobster dinner for 2 so that is one of the reasons it is not a big deal to me, I guess.

Originally Posted by Shawnino View Post

Welcome perspective and well said. Here's mine, which I've likely already posted somewhere here. (If it's a repeat, sorry.)

Growing up, my grandmother was cursed with the love of lobster. She would eat it all day, everyday, if allowed, but her parents would only let her eat it occasionally, and more or less in secret: lobster was food for poor people. It's not that her family had much money--in fact they didn't, they were simple farmers and therein lay the problem: if it got out they they were feeding their children lobster, well, the bank might call in the loan used to finance the farm equipment. Some 12-year-olds would wander down to the docks for a sneaky cigarette in those days--my grandmother would try to come home with a lobster.

That is so true. My DW grew up at the Southern end of our province and when she was a kid in elementary school in the 70's, kids were always teased for being poor if they came to school with lobster sandwiches instead of an expensive peanut butter and jam sandwich. Around here lobster was always considered a poor man's meal. The public opinion has changed slightly in recent years but it is still considered a cheap, all be it yummy, meal around here.

So pretty much lobsters are the cockroach / pigeon of seas?

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

Like the old saying goes.....if it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, and looks like a duck.....well it must be a duck.

Or if you would rather, if the shoe fits....;)

Frog legs! Yes, I love them and cook them from time to time here at the house when I can get them.

Snails in Italy - there are two different kinds. Large land ones and small sea snails. I love the small sea snails. They're so small you need a toothpick to get the snail out. Yum!

Harriet

If I recall the ones she was picking were of the size we usually expect to see. They were a nice size. Definitely the larger chewy variety. Lol

Edited by luvtheships

Norwegians love fish. If I'm going to sail like a Norwegian, I want my seafood!

Including a lousy lobsta!!!!! Shame on NCL marketing team!!!

Carry a brown paper bag with you at all times and breath into it when you start to hyperventilate and then have some chocolate and you will be fine

If you're going to sail like a Norwegian you may get your lobster....

But if you're going to cruise like a Norwegian on NCL; you won't get it in the MDR.

Harriet

If you need lobster that bad, then cough up the $30 to Le Bistro ($20 entrance fee, $10 extra for the lobster tail entree) and if you want more lobster tail, pay another $10 and another til your full. If not, then pay $15 at La Cucina and have yourself the lobster pasta.

Besides, NCL does offers seafood, just not what you want like shrimp, calamari and Flounder. If you don't like those, well then, it your loss.....

I am sailing my first NCL cruise in January - my usual line is Celebrity - I don't understand why NCL doesn't serve lobster. It's not that expensive anymore. The Atlantic has very healthy lobster numbers and are environmentally sustainable, therefore there shouldn't be any issues with serving lobster.

Also for a bit of trivia - a very long time ago the Pilgrims actually harvested lobster during low tide and used them as fertilizer!!! They were that plentiful.

Let me first start by saying that I am not a cheerleader for any one cruise line and lucky for me I have never had a bad cruise regardless of which line I was on. I have recently started sailing with NCL and my third cruise with them will be on the Epic next April. I am happy with their service and experience.

However, I would say to them that (this is just my opinion) you are not so far superior to Carnival, Princess, RCCL or any other cruise line that I have sailed on that you can take away the lobster because folks will sail with you whether there is lobster or not. I do not sail with you because you are the best cruise line but because of other factors. All of the other cruise lines that I have been on do offer lobster and the fact that you do not serve it is noticed by many that look forward to it. Especially us West Coast cruisers who are not privy to the luxury of fresh Maine lobster (at a reasonable price) like others who live on the East Coast. Lobster is usually only served one night anyway, so not having it isn't going to ruin my cruise experience. And don't tell me that if lobster means that much to me I can always get it for a surcharge in the specialty restaurant. You are missing the whole point and insulting me when you say that.

I've posted this before, and I think it's time for a replay.

When I took my first ever cruise in 1984 aboard the 13,000 ton behemoth known as the M/S Skyward, I paid $524.00 for a birth in a Quad-Share stateroom. This was a program where you were guaranteed a birth in an inside cabin with up to 3 other people NCL chose as your cabinmates. I was probably making somewhere between $4.00-$4.50 an hour, so $524.00 was a lot of money.

One of the highlights of the week was formal night when they served both Lobster Thermidor and Baked Alaska.

Fast forward 30 years and you can get an inside cabin for a 7 night cruise on the 92,000 ton Dawn for less than $500.00 double occupancy. I don't think I have to explain inflation for everyone to understand that the cruise lines are now offering more, on less margin.

Therefore, the loss of some things like Lobster and Baked Alaska in the MDR shouldn't come as a complete surprise. Part of it could be because of the poor economy the last few years, part of it could be due to a change in the industry, or a combination of the two.

Now for my opportunity to chastise NCL for something lost from days gone by.......................................................................................................................................... Bring back the HORSE RACES!

Edited by clean1owner

Now for my opportunity to chastise NCL for something lost from days gone by..............................................................................................................................................Bring back the HORSE RACES!

Yes! What a silly thing but I loved playing/watching! LOL

Harriet

I've posted this before, and I think it's time for a replay.

When I took my first ever cruise in 1984 aboard the 13,000 ton behemoth known as the M/S Skyward, I paid $524.00 for a birth in a Quad-Share stateroom. This was a program where you were guaranteed a birth in an inside cabin with up to 3 other people NCL chose as your cabinmates. I was probably making somewhere between $4.00-$4.50 an hour, so $524.00 was a lot of money.

One of the highlights of the week was formal night when they served both Lobster Thermidor and Baked Alaska.

Fast forward 30 years and you can get an inside cabin for a 7 night cruise on the 92,000 ton Dawn for less than $500.00 double occupancy. I don't think I have to explain inflation for everyone to understand that the cruise lines are now offering more, on less margin.

Therefore, the loss of some things like Lobster and Baked Alaska in the MDR shouldn't come as a complete surprise. Part of it could be because of the poor economy the last few years, part of it could be due to a change in the industry, or a combination of the two.

Now for my opportunity to chastise NCL for something lost from days gone by.......................................................................................................................................... Bring back the HORSE RACES!

So true but it doesn't sound like inflation to me when you pay less and get more for your money!! Isn't inflation when you pay more for the same or lesser quality?

But that's just me when I put it out there in simple terms so my students can understand the concept ... As it is usually the first time an 18 yo has heard the word inflation.

Regardless I too have sailed on an old rust bucket.... The Chandris britannis.... We paid $2000 for the 2 of us in an Inside closet!!! 7 days horrible food lousy entertainment disgusting pool. 1988

Fast forward to 2015 ....inside for 3...12 days... Ncl breakaway.... $2150 port and tax inclusive.

Keep the lobster!! Lol

Btw... All lobster tails are frozen anyway they are never fresh

Whole lobsters are live until the pot and it is doubtful Ncl has a lobster tank

Edited by luvtheships