Breakaway Haven cabins being upgraded

ssh4pooh

Got a call for my 12/7 sailing. Parts of the Haven are being worked on/upgraded. Unfortunately the room I am booked in will not be available. They provide some of their best options as well as a full refund. yikes! Best of luck to the other cruisers on this date!

Got a call for my 12/7 sailing. Parts of the Haven are being worked on/upgraded. Unfortunately the room I am booked in will not be available. They provide some of their best options as well as a full refund. yikes! Best of luck to the other cruisers on this date!

What are they working on? The ship is practically new.

Any chance you were booked in (or near) 16716? My inlaws were in that cabin in August and there was some kind of plumbing issue that they attempted to fix multiple times but never fully addressed during our sailing. We were right next door and had absolutely no issues - other than listening to my MIL whine ;)

Any chance you were booked in (or near) 16716? My inlaws were in that cabin in August and there was some kind of plumbing issue that they attempted to fix multiple times but never fully addressed during our sailing. We were right next door and had absolutely no issues - other than listening to my MIL whine ;)

HAHA! Maybe that's the issue! I was booked in one of the H2 rooms

Edited by ssh4pooh

There have been quality control issues with some of the soft fittings (carpets, etc.) that they hope to address in most/all of the suites. There have been a variety of problems with the suites onboard Breakaway and Getaway, such as the drainage issues in the bathrooms that puddles99 mentioned.

One of our roll call members on the 1/4/15 Breakaway sailing had a call last night and was switched to another H6 (Aft) suite since her original H6 was going to have repairs done. Doesn't seem that this is limited to suite in the actual Haven area.

Edited by Got Tequila?

One of our roll call members on the 1/4/15 Breakaway sailing had a call last night and was switched to another H6 (Aft) suite since her original H6 was going to have repairs done. Doesn't seem that this is limited to suite in the actual Haven area.

Absolutely correct, Margaret. I was told there were repairs being done to the shower of my aft penthouse. NCL delivered the information to me very well and provided me with good options. I was genuinely impressed with the customer service I received.

L

Ok Now you are making me nervous. We are going in to be in a aft balcony penthouse in 3 weeks. Which room numbers are having problems? We are going to be on deck 11.

Not all of them are impacted. You can call NCL and ask but I am guessing if you haven't been contacted, you are in good shape.

Wow! What in the world is going on. Cheap cheap stuff. Remember on the second or third cruise Breakaway did and the side balcony dividers ripped apart. Now carpet and other finishings being replaced already. And how people that have cruised Epic and Breakaway in the studios report that the walls are much thinner on Breakaway/Getaway and the noise is bad compared to the studios on Epic.

Breakaway holds the record for the fastest built cruise ship ever. Not sure if Getaway beat the record or not. But it appears some corners were cut with basic quality :(

And not to mention Meyer Werft is embarrassed. :o

It's not their fault. NCL had a budget.

DCL didn't. Try to sail on the DCL Fantasy one day and see what MW can do with an open check book. :D It almost flawless with high end fixtures and finishes. Not to mention the unknown high end engineering spaces unseen. It's amazing what 1.3 B can do, furnished. :)

Yes, I'm bias. :rolleyes:

ETA; It's about time they remodeled/upgraded the BA Haven slum. :p

Edited by bear3412

I don't think it's fair to apply the criticism that NCL is purposefully cutting corners to save money at the expense of passengers. The complaints of noise leakage on Breakaway were taken very seriously, and literal tons of additional sound insulation were installed onboard Getaway as a result. The balcony dividers failed because they were located in an extremely exposed position that, due to the ship's unique design that funneled the air towards them, necessitated additional reinforcement beyond what was assumed to be required.

The issues with the suites are being addressed systematically and rigorously, and NCL has been very open in their communication, with minimal impact, with those affected. The shipboard environment can take a toll on quality items that would last for years ashore. As with all ships, each succeeding member of a class will bring forth a variety of refinements. NCL and Meyer Werft will apply all of these lessons, and more, with Escape, and I'm thrilled to be already booked for 2015.

And not to mention Meyer Werft is embarrassed. :o

It's not their fault. NCL had a budget.

DCL didn't. Try to sail on the DCL Fantasy one day and see what MW can do with an open check book. :D It almost flawless with high end fixtures and finishes. Not to mention the unknown high end engineering spaces unseen. It's amazing what 1.3 B can do, furnished. :)

Yes, I'm bias. :rolleyes:

ETA; It's about time they remodeled/upgraded the BA Haven slum. :p

I agree. I was on DCL Fantasy 6 months after the BA this year and it is like night and day. The Fantasy was about 400 million more than the BA and roughly same size ships and it certainly shows. Plus the service on Fantasy blew away the BAs concierge/haven/butler experience (or lack thereof).

HAHA! Maybe that's the issue! I was booked in one of the H2 rooms

We were in one of the H2 rooms and were disappointed by the movable wall that leaked noise from the OS next door. Plus they had added the door on the balcony which was a PITA.

We were on a sailing two or three after they had a rough ride and many things spilled onto the carpets. Our carpet had a large area of red stuff that we thought was wine. The person in the room when they had the rough ride had pictures and it was the m&ms plus beverages that fell to the carpet. Overall, the carpet is kind of light colored so doesn't hide dirt well. A couple rooms back a lady was yelling at the butler about her carpet being stained (same scenario as us) and later in the day the steward was cleaning it (he left the door open).

The only plumbing problem we had was the one drain btw bedroom and bathroom would make this strange gurgling noise as the ship moved.

So, topictitle should be; fixed instead of upgraded?

Yes. My understanding is that the cabins will look the same after the work is completed. Of course, the problems should be gone! In fact, unless directly affected, it's likely most passengers won't even know what happened or that the problems existed in the first place ;)

Yes. My understanding is that the cabins will look the same after the work is completed. Of course, the problems should be gone! In fact, unless directly affected, it's likely most passengers won't even know what happened or that the problems existed in the first place ;)

Heh, found it a bit odd indeed, that soon an upgrade. Thanks. :)

I agree. I was on DCL Fantasy 6 months after the BA this year and it is like night and day. The Fantasy was about 400 million more than the BA and roughly same size ships and it certainly shows. Plus the service on Fantasy blew away the BAs concierge/haven/butler experience (or lack thereof).

I just looked at a 1 bedroom concierge suite. Some of the amenities appear to be the same as NCL's suites. So an Owners Suite on NCL is about $4,200 for two and on DCL it is $14,200. So for the benefits of cruising DCL I could take 3 plus cruises in an Owners Suite on NCL. Sounds fair to me!!;)

So did they move you out of that room or did they move you to another sailing?

they offered:

same sailing date but an H4 (probably a difference refunded but we didn't get that far since I said no)

or a full refund.

They wouldn't put me in an H2 for the following week (a few hundred more than my original booking which I thought was odd) or any of the other weeks as those are much more because of holiday travel.

So I took the refund.

I just looked at a 1 bedroom concierge suite. Some of the amenities appear to be the same as NCL's suites. So an Owners Suite on NCL is about $4,200 for two and on DCL it is $14,200. So for the benefits of cruising DCL I could take 3 plus cruises in an Owners Suite on NCL. Sounds fair to me!!;)

What sailing are you seeing the BA OS H3 for that price? I checked the 7 day Bahamas runs (the cheaper route compared to Bermuda) and I see price of $2,649 pp for the 11/30/14 sailing (a sailing after final payment date) with prices up to $10,809 per person? An eyeball is that they are selling the BA H3 for about $4,000-$5,000 per person on average.

Checked DCL Fantasy 1BR Concierge and prices range from $3,710 pp to $9,891 pp. Average probably about $5,000-$6,000 pp for two.