Is this short layover enough time to switch planes

Dave4120

Hello Everyone:

A few weeks ago, many of you were very helpful in my return flight from Rome, Italy back to Syracuse. Well, I'm pretty much set with everything for our cruise except for our day prior to cruise flight from Albany, NY to Fort Lauderdale. (Leaving from Albany because the flight is $120 a person less than Syracuse for the one way)

The one way flight at the moment from Albany to Fort Lauderdale is only $106 a person!!!!!

There is one flight from Albany to Detroit with only a 30 minute layover in Detroit before leaving from Detroit to Fort Lauderdale. We love this flight because of the mid morning departure and early afternoon arrival, however, a 30 minute layover sounds like a bad idea because how will they get our luggage from the Albany flight into the next plane in just 30 minutes? And if our flight is delayed, then what?

Or, since Delta has this listed as the flight on their website, are they saying there normally aren't any issues with the 39 minute layover?

And if we miss the connection because they were late getting to Detroit, are they responsible for getting us in the next flight to FLL without a penalty?

Maybe we should just take an early morning flight and not chance anything.

Thanks again for your advice.

Dave

I would NEVER consider such a short layover.

If the Albany flight arrives at the terminal for commuter-type small planes and the Fort Lauderdale flight leaves from the Main Terminal, it is not difficult, but it does take a bit of time to go between these terminals. Once in the Main Terminal, their transportation system will help get you to the proper gate. But, if the gate is at the far end of one of the wings of the teminal.....

And, if the inbound flight is late...

Why create a potential headache?

Edited by rkacruiser

This is time to get your luggage on the next flight, as long as your first flight is on time. If you miss your connection, DL has to get you on a flight to your destination. There are no guarantees when that would be. It's usually the first flight with available seats. They will not remove people already booked on that flight to make room for you.

If this flight was on AS, I'd take it in a minute. Not sure about DL though.

You can look up flight stats here:

http://www.flightstats.com/go/FlightRating/flightRatingByTimeOfDay.do?departureAirportCode=ALB&arrivalAirportCode=FLL

Edited by 6rugrats

Not sure if this makes any difference but the flight from Albany to Detroit is on an A319 plane and not one of those commuter jets.

Does that mean this flight will end up at the main terminal for our next flight that is on a 737 plane?

If I understand correctly, if we do this itinerary, and miss the connection for Delta issues and not our own personal issues, they will get us to Fort Lauderdale.

Does flying First Class have any bearing on anything?

Thanks again.

Just noticed this on the DL website regarding DTW:

The ExpressTram at DTW will be unavailable 9/21 through October 12. Please allow up to an additional 30 minutes to get to your respective gate and add an additional 1 hour should you need special services i.e. wheelchair. Moving walkways will be available and for those with special requests, additional wheelchair will be accessible.

Don't know if that fits your dates, but be aware.

Or, since Delta has this listed as the flight on their website, are they saying there normally aren't any issues with the 39 minute layover?

And if we miss the connection because they were late getting to Detroit, are they responsible for getting us in the next flight to FLL without a penalty?

Dave

In Detroit, apparently 39 minutes is a legal connection for DL to DL domestic flights. Most of the time, both you and your bags will make the connection so long as you hustle directly from arrival gate to departure gate. If you miss your connection because your inbound flight is late, Delta is responsible for getting you and your bags to FLL on the next AVAILABLE flight. If the NEXT flight is sold out, then you wait for the one after that, and so on. But yes, Delta will get you to FLL.

You do have several factors working in your favor. Your flights are for the day prior to your cruise, I would never take this routing the day OF a cruise. If you choose this routing I recommend putting the Delta app on your phone so you will know when your bags are put on the plane. Also, plan ahead for alternative flights to FLL. It may be, for example, that from DTW a connection through ATL would get you to FLL faster than waiting for the next non-stop.

Flying first class means you get off the plane ahead of everyone in coach and can get to your next gate faster.

You indicated that in Detroit 39 minutes with Delta is considered a legal connection. However, the flight Delta has put forth says the connection time is 30 minutes from the time we land in Detroit until the time the next flight leaves, so, does that mean it's not a legal connection?

If you choose this routing I recommend putting the Delta app on your phone so you will know when your bags are put on the plane.
One of the GREAT features of this app. I always check before takeoff to see the status of my bags. Once it shows as having been scanned planeside (before going up the conveyor belt into the belly), I know that it will be there for me at the other end. And if it doesn't show (and you can use the inflight internet for free to connect to DL), you can go straight to the baggage office rather than waiting around and hoping. Thanks for mentioning that, so that folks can use it to relieve anxiety.
Also, plan ahead for alternative flights to FLL. It may be, for example, that from DTW a connection through ATL would get you to FLL faster than waiting for the next non-stop.
Good tip and quite true. Given that DL runs a dozen flights a day from ATL to FLL, that routing will often work better than waiting for DTW-FLL. Even if you are only confirmed to ATL, much better chances, IMO. Edited by FlyerTalker

MCT at DTW is 30 minutes, so whether it is a 30 or 39 minute connect, it's "legal" for a connection. (And FWIW, in the OP both numbers are mentioned.)

Other MCT for DL hubs (domestic to domestic and domestic to international)

DTW 30 min/40 min

SLC 30 min/40 min

MSP 30 min/40 min

ATL 35 min/40 min

LGA 35 min/35 min

JFK 35 min/45 min

LAX 35 min/35 min

SEA 30 min/30 min

and even though they have been de-hubbed:

CVG 30 min/30 min

MEM 30 min/30 min

Does flying First Class have any bearing on anything?

Yes.

1. It means you are at the front of the plane so in theory you will be one of the first to get off the plane, making it easier to get to your connecting gate on time.

2. It means that if you don't make the connection, you may well have a choice to make: Wait for the next flight with available first class seating, or accept another flight departing earlier that has available coach seating. Keep in mind that if you voluntarily accept the coach seats in order to arrive sooner, you are not necessarily due a refund of the fare difference because you voluntarily accepted that change.

You indicated that in Detroit 39 minutes with Delta is considered a legal connection. However, the flight Delta has put forth says the connection time is 30 minutes from the time we land in Detroit until the time the next flight leaves, so, does that mean it's not a legal connection?

It means 30 min is the MINIMUM legal connection, so anything over that is also legal. What does "legal" mean in this sense? It means the airline will allow you to book it, because IF everything goes according to plan you SHOULD be able to make it. But it does NOT guarantee that you will make it (maybe you walk slow, maybe you have to stop at the restroom, maybe the people mover or tram isn't working that day etc.), and it certainly doesn't guarantee that the inbound flight will be on time.

Considering you don't fly til April, two other factors may enter into the realm as well. Flt times may change giving you more (or less) time to connect. Also aircraft changes may take place, ie downgrading from A319 to smaller plane. don't "expect" Delta to notify you. Check on your reservation every few weeks...

unfortunately, delta sees a 30min layover as a legal connection (tried getting them to change family's flight around thanksgiving because they shrunk our 90min layover in ATL to 32min).

if you do miss the connection, they will put you standby or guarantee you seats later on until you can make it onto a flight.

Keep in mind "later on" does not necessarily mean the same day.So even though you are flying in the day before if you miss your connection and they cannot get you on a flight until the next day then now you could even miss your cruise (and given that I assume it is a transatlantic you would not even be able to catch up with the ship). And keep in mind that the more people you have flying together the harder it will be to find seats on the next flight.

I find amazing how many different scenarios there are for air flights.

Based on everything I've read from all of you, I think we will probably take the 6-AM flight from Albany, NY to FLL with a 2h-45 min layover in Atlanta.

That flight will get us there in plenty of time and if something goes wrong, it looks like there are so many additional flights from Atlanta to FLL than from Detroit. If we also got stuck in Atlanta, I would hope I could rent a car to FLL with time to spare.

Because flying first class from Alb to FLL with a stop over in ATL is so affordable that is what we plan to do.

Does anyone have knowledge of whether it's better to sit in Row 1 "A and B" or "C and D"?

From ALB to ATL row 1 A and B on an MD-88 plane shows a men's and ladies room in from of A and B and a closet in front of C and D.

From ATL to FLL on a 757 plane Row 1 A and B sets back further than C and D and has a closet in front of the seats while C and D show a knife and fork for a food station.

Or, do first class in any row except Row 1?

Thanks again.

Have you looked at seatguru.com to help you in your seat selection? And smart move on your flight selection -- on the way home from s cruise I will take a little more risk with flight connections but not going. And yes, you do have the rental car option as a worst case scenario.

Bulkhead has the advantage that no one can recline back towards you.

Bulkhead has the disadvantage that you have no underseat area in front of you. First, all your carryons and other items (including purses and laptops) need to be in the overhead bins. Second, you have no room to extend your legs forward under the seat in front.

There are some small cutouts on the A320 bulkheads, IIRC. But that won't apply here.

There is no practical difference between rows 1 and 2 or 3 in terms of getting off the aircraft. Probably a diff of less than 30 seconds.

I also agree with your flight selection.

Be certain to check seatguru for seating charts. They are very helpful.

Personally, I select Rows 2 or 3, not Row 1 if I can help it. No floor storage space, not as much leg room, and I don't care to be facing a solid wall just in front of me.

Does the stretch space you can stretch your legs out in a bulkhead equal the same amount of stretch space if we were to sit in Row 2 instead? Or, is the stretch out space less because of the bulkhead?

In Row 2, one can place your feet under the seats in Row 1. In Row 1, the solid wall, unless there is a cutout, prevents that. The lack of no underseat storage in Row 1 could be a major concern. I have seen some of those overhead bins filled with aircraft related stuff.

Thanks for continued information. It does seem like there are different viewpoints as it relates to the same options.

I'm not going to continue to drive all of you crazy.

Because Delta flys out of Albany NY for just $255 in first class, I believe that's what we'll fly. That way there are only two seats across that we prefer over the coach section that 3 seats across.

I think the Delta planes are older than our other options from American and Jet Blue, but both those airline prices in coach with 3-seats across cost almost as much as the Delta First Class option.