Shore excursions on your own

tryptaker

I am not sure if this is the forum to post this - I have not found any shore excursions for our southern Caribbean cruise (st. Croix, st kitts, dominica, grenada etc) that are really geared for my elderly parents. Are we safe to just wing it at each port, hiring a taxi to give us a tour? I did this previously at a couple of stops and enjoyed it very much but there was only 2 of us travelling then - with 4 now we would require a van I suspect.

We almost always "wing-it" or at the very least arrange our own tour/thing/ride

It's perfectly safe IMHO and being able to completely control the pace with older parents IMHO would make it worth doing it youself

thanks A Sixth? I think that is exactly what we will do....play it by ear and if I've tired them out a previous day we are ok to do something at our own pace.

thanks A Sixth? I think that is exactly what we will do....play it by ear and if I've tired them out a previous day we are ok to do something at our own pace.

There are always times you have to commit to something a few days out, but one nice thing about "winging it" is if someone in the group is tired, or the weather isn't perfect or something really neat pops up plans change. :D

I am not sure if this is the forum to post this - I have not found any shore excursions for our southern Caribbean cruise (st. Croix, st kitts, dominica, grenada etc) that are really geared for my elderly parents. Are we safe to just wing it at each port, hiring a taxi to give us a tour? I did this previously at a couple of stops and enjoyed it very much but there was only 2 of us travelling then - with 4 now we would require a van I suspect.
There are often vendors selling tours at the ports close to where you get off the ship. They have handouts or posters with descriptions of the various tours they offer, and you can discuss the options with them to see which would be most suitable for you.

Most tours are not geared to age but rather to ability, as there are lots of very active elderly people in much better physical condition than some who are much younger, although there are a few tours that do have age restrictions.

There are also some tours specifically designed for people with special needs, but those are the type that usually need to be booked in advance and I doubt if that is what you are talking about here, since you did not mention your parents having any particular physical restrictions such as needing to use a wheelchair or walker.

We have found that often tour vendors will ask one price if you get off the ship early in the morning, but a lower price for the same tour if you go a few hours later.

It is almost like produce at the market that gets marked down in price if it is not sold early. :D

Some of the vendors that sell tours on their websites also sell them right at the port to those who did not book in advance.

After looking up recommended tours on the forums or on Tripadvisor, sometimes we have recognized the same company selling the same tours at the port when we got off the ship.

Those are usually the typical island sightseeing tours of varying kinds, with or without beach time, the kind where they can just add another van as needed.

But if you want a special tour with limited capacity that may sell out, like a catamaran tour, it is better to book it ahead of time.

Edited by fleckle

We DIY many times; usually a combination of booking private tours ahead of time, just getting off the ship and walking around (if we've been there many times before) and finding a tour on the dock. I think the last option would work best with elderly parents as you can talk to the driver/guide personally with your concerns and needs.

We probably haven't done a ship tour in five years, and only then because we had a whopping bunch of OBC to use up.

Get a guidebook on your ports, decide WHAT you want to see/do...and we can be MUCH more help!!!!! DIY is the ONLY way we do it! It's not hard, it's cheaper, and it's as safe as anywhere else!

But, research is key!

Edited by cb at sea

I agree with others that you should check the ports of call boards, and your cruise's roll call.

We were on the same cruise last year and booked Thenford Gray's tour in St Kitt's. It was fantastic and would be totally appropriate for your elderly parents; at each stop they can do as little or as much as they are up to.

Edited by just_looking

The best advice in this thread is in post number 2 by Sloop. And that is to check out the Cruise Critic ports of Call forum for particulars on each port.

You can not generalize about what options is the best way for arraigning a guide for all the ports you list or any kind of tour at a given port. It all depends on what kind of activity you're looking for and which island. On some islands it is best to arrange a private tour in advance, on some it best to hire a tour guide or taxi at the port and at some it is best to set out on your own. The answers to this can be found in the ports of call forums for the individual islands by reading the existing postings there and asking follow up questions particular to each island.

Also, keep in mind that what is best for one person is often different from what is best for someone else and you should do what you are the most comfortable with.

Edited by Lsimon

Thanks all! I read the cc port forum and booked two tours, one on St Kitts with Thenford Gray and a Grenada tour with AJ Medford. The rest of the ports we will find someone at the pier and just do whatever! I am happy to a have a little bit organized! :)

I select the ones that may cause problems due to logistics. The ones you mention, do on your own.

Thanks all! I read the cc port forum and booked two tours, one on St Kitts with Thenford Gray and a Grenada tour with AJ Medford. The rest of the ports we will find someone at the pier and just do whatever! I am happy to a have a little bit organized! :)

For St. Croix, taxis are all vans, so you'll all fit. You could ask the driver to take you to Whim Plantation Museum, which is close to the port (maybe a ten minute drive from the pier.) See the St. Croix Landmarks Society website for details.

Another option a little further is the St. George Village Botanical Garden which has orchids, cactus, etc. amid the ruins of an od plantation.