Athens-London-Miami

theriac

My question is if I have to go through security again at LHR when arriving from Greece? I will be flying Business on BA if that makes any difference.

I land in T5 and my flight to MIA is from T3. I have roughly a 4 hour layover so I'm not concerned about time, but about the procedure.

I've only ever flown into LHR and this is my first layover there.

Also in Miami I have another connection to Tampa. If I remember correctly I have to go through customs in MIA and not in TIA. Will I have to get my luggage and recheck it at MIA? I only have an hour and a half connection here so I definitely want to be prepared.

Thanks!

Finally how is the lounge in T3 at LHR?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Forums mobile app

Edited by theriac
Added airline

My question is if I have to go through security again at LHR when arriving from Greece? I will be flying Business on BA if that makes any difference.

I land in T5 and my flight to MIA is from T3. I have roughly a 4 hour layover so I'm not concerned about time, but about the procedure.

I've only ever flown into LHR and this is my first layover there.

Also in Miami I have another connection to Tampa. If I remember correctly I have to go through customs in MIA and not in TIA. Will I have to get my luggage and recheck it at MIA? I only have an hour and a half connection here so I definitely want to be prepared.

Flying business class does not matter. Security is about where you're coming from/going to. Paying more or less for a ticket doesn't mean you are somehow more or less of a security threat.

Yes, when entering the US you go through immigration and customs at your first entry point, which in this case is MIA. You go through immigration, get your bags, and go through customs, then drop your bags at the bag-drop just past customs and continue on to Tampa. By the way, Tampa is TPA, not TIA. ;)

When you arrive at LHR, you follow the purple signs for Flight Connections, and make sure that you're being routed towards T3 (initially, possibly along with other terminals). This will take you to a bus stop, where the bus will take you across the airfield to T3. There you will clear security and then go into the main airside departures lounge (where the shops and restaurants are). After that, it simply a matter of finding your way to the airline lounge.

The refinements are these.

Your flight may arrive at T5's main building (also known as T5A). In that case, the connections route will initially be the same as the arrivals route, but before you reach the immigration hall it will take you down an escalator to the bus stop for the T3 buses.

If your flight arrives at the first satellite building (also known as T5B, where the B gates are), the arrivals route takes you down one floor from gate level to ground level, and then two more floors to the transit that takes you to the main building. However, you only need to go down to ground level, and the follow the signs to the bus stop in that building.

If your flight arrives at the second satellite building (also known as T5C, where the C gates are), you need to go down to the transit, take it one stop to T5B (or the B gates), and then go back up to ground level and use the bus stop in T5B.

Don't panic if, despite all that, you accidentally end up in T5A. Just go to the bus stop there.

Another option might be to fly from London Gatwick to Tampa. Then you would avoid the hassle of an international --> domestic connection at MIA.

You would have to change airports from Heathrow to Gatwick, but this is actually pretty straightforward.

Finally how is the lounge in T3 at LHR?
It's perfectly serviceable and would make a couple of hours' wait pretty pleasant. Whether it's "good" does rather depend though on whether you're comparing it to a US domestic airline lounge, one of the European shoe cupboards, the Emirates lounge at DXB or something else.

One thing to note with the ATH-LHR route is that you can, on some flights, get longhaul aircraft operating it. In business class that means flat beds. I would recommend signing up for ExpertFlyer where you can see seatmaps before you book. If you book a shorthaul aircraft when you could do a longhaul instead you'll be kicking yourself.

If you see A321s with alternating rows of 1-2 and 2-1 seating that is an aircraft with flatbeds, but BA do also have A321s with shorthaul seating where the seatmap shows as 2-2.

There are also 767s in two separate configurations so pay close attention there too.

https://www.seatguru.com/airlines/British_Airways/British_Airways_Boeing_767-300.php

https://www.seatguru.com/airlines/British_Airways/British_Airways_Boeing_767-300_E.php

It's not completely foolproof though. I went to Athens last month and booked my business tickets about a month before I flew. The aircraft changed from midhaul A321 to longhaul 767 about a week before I flew then to Shorthaul 767 the day before then after online check-in it switched to a shorthaul A321 :D I had to call BA to offload myself because the primo seats I had on the 767 could not be changed and their equivalent on the A321 were crap. Then I could check back in again to get the best seats.

Flying business class does not matter. Security is about where you're coming from/going to. Paying more or less for a ticket doesn't mean you are somehow more or less of a security threat.

Yes, when entering the US you go through immigration and customs at your first entry point, which in this case is MIA. You go through immigration, get your bags, and go through customs, then drop your bags at the bag-drop just past customs and continue on to Tampa. By the way, Tampa is TPA, not TIA. ;)

I know own business doesn't let you skip the line, but when I fly domestically in first/business which let's you into the precheck TSA line which is what I meant, not skipping security but entering a specific line.

I know it is TPA but living in the Tampa area it's referred to as TIA instead of Tampa International Airport.

When you arrive at LHR, you follow the purple signs for Flight Connections, and make sure that you're being routed towards T3 (initially, possibly along with other terminals). This will take you to a bus stop, where the bus will take you across the airfield to T3. There you will clear security and then go into the main airside departures lounge (where the shops and restaurants are). After that, it simply a matter of finding your way to the airline lounge.

The refinements are these.

Your flight may arrive at T5's main building (also known as T5A). In that case, the connections route will initially be the same as the arrivals route, but before you reach the immigration hall it will take you down an escalator to the bus stop for the T3 buses.

If your flight arrives at the first satellite building (also known as T5B, where the B gates are), the arrivals route takes you down one floor from gate level to ground level, and then two more floors to the transit that takes you to the main building. However, you only need to go down to ground level, and the follow the signs to the bus stop in that building.

If your flight arrives at the second satellite building (also known as T5C, where the C gates are), you need to go down to the transit, take it one stop to T5B (or the B gates), and then go back up to ground level and use the bus stop in T5B.

Don't panic if, despite all that, you accidentally end up in T5A. Just go to the bus stop there.Another option might be to fly from London Gatwick to Tampa. Then you would avoid the hassle of an international --> domestic connection at MIA.

You would have to change airports from Heathrow to Gatwick, but this is actually pretty straightforward.It's perfectly serviceable and would make a couple of hours' wait pretty pleasant. Whether it's "good" does rather depend though on whether you're comparing it to a US domestic airline lounge, one of the European shoe cupboards, the Emirates lounge at DXB or something else.

Thanks for the detailed instructions I appreciate that.

I asked about Gatwick-Tampa route and it was thousands more than what I paid so I took the connection

One thing to note with the ATH-LHR route is that you can, on some flights, get longhaul aircraft operating it. In business class that means flat beds. I would recommend signing up for ExpertFlyer where you can see seatmaps before you book. If you book a shorthaul aircraft when you could do a longhaul instead you'll be kicking yourself.

If you see A321s with alternating rows of 1-2 and 2-1 seating that is an aircraft with flatbeds, but BA do also have A321s with shorthaul seating where the seatmap shows as 2-2.

There are also 767s in two separate configurations so pay close attention there too.

https://www.seatguru.com/airlines/British_Airways/British_Airways_Boeing_767-300.php

https://www.seatguru.com/airlines/British_Airways/British_Airways_Boeing_767-300_E.php

It's not completely foolproof though. I went to Athens last month and booked my business tickets about a month before I flew. The aircraft changed from midhaul A321 to longhaul 767 about a week before I flew then to Shorthaul 767 the day before then after online check-in it switched to a shorthaul A321 :D I had to call BA to offload myself because the primo seats I had on the 767 could not be changed and their equivalent on the A321 were crap. Then I could check back in again to get the best seats.

Yeah I noticed that already. I booked with choice air and when booking it was a long haul plane, but has already been switched to a narrow body. I'm not thrilled because the seats apparently to look like coach seats and but with 2 in a row instead of 3.

I'm hoping the switch the plane back.

It sounds like you have a AA codeshare. Look at taking AA direct from ATH to PHL and then connecting to TPA. It should save you a decent chunk of cash on taxes.

You are correct it is a AA code share. I'm flying AA and Iberia to Rome and BA and AA back from Athens. I had originally looked at a lot of flights and they were all significantly more by thousands the deal I got with choice air.

It was $2500 per person for the round trip where some flights taking only an hour or two off the total time were a lot more.

I appreciate the recommendation though.

I didn't see this, it could be here, but:

You have to do the TSA dog-and-pony show when you arrive at MIA. So, you will be enduring 3 checks: immigration, customs, TSA. You have to pick up your bags at MIA to go through customs, then you re-check them (the airlines have re-check counters to take your bags).

Yeah I noticed that already. I booked with choice air and when booking it was a long haul plane, but has already been switched to a narrow body. I'm not thrilled because the seats apparently to look like coach seats and but with 2 in a row instead of 3.

On BA narrowbody and widebody do not equal beds or no beds.

The 767 is a widebody with both beds or standard intra-Europe convertible seats depending upon configuration. I do believe the 767s with beds will be withdrawn soon. BA stopped flying them longhaul a few weeks ago,

Similarly the narrowbody A321 comes in flavours with beds and no beds.

https://www.seatguru.com/airlines/British_Airways/British_Airways_Airbus_A320-200_D.php?flightno=631&date=2016-11-15#

This is the current plane scheduled according to seatguru. I'm in row 2 as of now. The seats are all listed as the same except the first 3 rows only have two seats opposed to three. The middle was converted to something. I'm not really happy about this change at all.

Definitely get on OLCI as soon as it opens, you may be able to switch to row 1. Only BA Golds (and above) can pre-assign row 1 and it's definitely the best place to be on these aircraft. I always pre-assign row 1 on shorthaul.

I know own business doesn't let you skip the line, but when I fly domestically in first/business which let's you into the precheck TSA line which is what I meant, not skipping security but entering a specific line.

I know it is TPA but living in the Tampa area it's referred to as TIA instead of Tampa International Airport.

Sorry, your post asked if you had to go through security, period, not whether you could use a special line, and I had no idea you meant something else entirely. And whether or not you get TSA Precheck by any means in the states doesn't matter at Heathrow since TSA is a US government department, and Precheck is a TSA program. Security is run by a completely different entity at LHR, so TSA Precheck doesn't even exist there. ;)

Interesting comment about TPA/TIA; none of my friends and family in Tampa (well, mostly Pinellas County but that's close enough) with whom I travel frequently refer to it as TIA; they all use TPA when we are sharing our flight info in advance of a trip. And in airline circles people refer to it as TPA; referring to it as TIA may invite confusion.

The MIA to TPA would be on AA. If he flew on AA metal the whole way he could shed a layover.
You are correct it is a AA code share. I'm flying AA and Iberia to Rome and BA and AA back from Athens.
None of these necessarily means that there's any codeshare involved.

A codeshare is where an airline sells its "flight" (using its code) on a flight operated by another airline. So if the OP is booked on BA209 from LHR to MIA, no codeshare is involved; but if the OP is booked on AA6162, then that is a codeshare flight number on exactly the same aircraft.

Similarly, if the OP has bought AA1617 from MIA to TPA, no codeshare is involved; but if the OP is booked on BA2435, then that's a codeshare flight number on exactly the same aircraft.

And if the OP's travel is on BA209 connecting to AA1617, there is no codeshare.

This is why I was puzzled by how the OP's original information (or even this new post) gives rise to any inference that a codeshare is involved. Of course, there are ways in which the two-connection journey could be reduced to one connection, but they wouldn't necessarily involve a codeshare either. So I was wondering whether I had missed something obvious.

https://www.seatguru.com/airlines/British_Airways/British_Airways_Airbus_A320-200_D.php?flightno=631&date=2016-11-15#

This is the current plane scheduled according to seatguru. I'm in row 2 as of now.

If that seatguru link contains your actual flight details, then the seat map for the flight shows nobody sitting in row 2. The Club cabin is currently 5 rows (although that can change, and change often). 1D, 3A and 3C are occupied, but no other seats have been allocated.

Sorry, your post asked if you had to go through security, period, not whether you could use a special line, and I had no idea you meant something else entirely. And whether or not you get TSA Precheck by any means in the states doesn't matter at Heathrow since TSA is a US government department, and Precheck is a TSA program. Security is run by a completely different entity at LHR, so TSA Precheck doesn't even exist there. ;)

Interesting comment about TPA/TIA; none of my friends and family in Tampa (well, mostly Pinellas County but that's close enough) with whom I travel frequently refer to it as TIA; they all use TPA when we are sharing our flight info in advance of a trip. And in airline circles people refer to it as TPA; referring to it as TIA may invite confusion.

Yeah I didn't word it right at all, I was tired, but decided I needed to know right then.

I'm in Pinellas as well, and yes I usually say TPA when searching or talking about a flight, but sometimes TIA will be used on the news as an acronym for Tampa International Airport. I was thinking colloquially when I typed that out.

If that seatguru link contains your actual flight details, then the seat map for the flight shows nobody sitting in row 2. The Club cabin is currently 5 rows (although that can change, and change often). 1D, 3A and 3C are occupied, but no other seats have been allocated.

I was in row two originally on the different plane. I assumed I would still be in row two, that could easily change.

None of these necessarily means that there's any codeshare involved.

A codeshare is where an airline sells its "flight" (using its code) on a flight operated by another airline. So if the OP is booked on BA209 from LHR to MIA, no codeshare is involved; but if the OP is booked on AA6162, then that is a codeshare flight number on exactly the same aircraft.

Similarly, if the OP has bought AA1617 from MIA to TPA, no codeshare is involved; but if the OP is booked on BA2435, then that's a codeshare flight number on exactly the same aircraft.

And if the OP's travel is on BA209 connecting to AA1617, there is no codeshare.

This is why I was puzzled by how the OP's original information (or even this new post) gives rise to any inference that a codeshare is involved. Of course, there are ways in which the two-connection journey could be reduced to one connection, but they wouldn't necessarily involve a codeshare either. So I was wondering whether I had missed something obvious.

Pretty much any BA flight that leaves London bound for the US has an AA codeshare anymore. The exception *might* be the flight that is all business that flys into LCY once a day from JFK. (I think it's JFK, Maybe DCA or EWR or PHL). At any rate, that might be the only one.

I'd be careful with TIA unless you're planning a trip to Albania.

(TIA is Tirana)

Maybe Air Namibia flies there?

Yeah I know TIA isn't the airport code. I've stated that I messed up using it here because most people I know where I'm from say TIA instead of Tampa International Airport.

Another question. I know 3 hours is recommended for an international flight and 2 hours for domestic. Since I'm flying from TPA to PHL and PHL to FCO do I need to get to TPA 2 or 3 hours early?

Thanks