Canada with DUI

They know nothing, all they will do is refer them to the closest Canadian Consulate office both of whom don't reply.

This offense occurred more than 10 years ago an under Canadian law the person is deemed to have been "rehabilitated".

Just wondering is it not 10 years after completion of any sentence imposed?

I know in Australia and UK a criminal conviction is "spent" (no longer exists) 10 years after completion of sentence and any parole period.

I think Australians have it too good,DUI is usually 3 or 6 months loss of licence and $1000 or $2000 fine and you can get an Extraordinary license to drive if the loss of license causes hardship:confused:

The hubby has 2 DUI convictions....1st when he was 21 and the second at 29...the first was technically "continued without a finding". He is 45 now and hasn't had a drink in 16 years. I booked a cruise to Canada not knowing the rules (stupid i know) :eek: Is he going to be denied boarding or just have to remain on the ship in new Brunswick? We leave in 3 weeks (from Boston) so too late to "apply" for anything. I've read the threads...I need someone who's cruised with these circumstances to help! Has anyone been denied boarding before???

After only about 10 minutes of Google searching, I came up with this site

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/menu-eng.html

It has a contact me tab. You might try it.

DON

• 4 weeks later...

I think the time that has elapsed since his last offense helped him in this situation.

I have two co-workers that were held in Canadian airports and put on the next flight home because of their US DUI's (one each).

I contacted the Canadian gov't about vacation plans last year because I have a family member with a DUI and that person would be denied entry based on the conversation I had with the agent.

I'm fairly certain he'll all be okay. Enough time has passed.

From the Canadian Immigration website -

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5312ETOC.asp#5312E3

(the rest of that blurb doesn't pertain to his situation. I reads, to me at least, that it might be a problem if the 2 offenses had happened concurrently. Your husbands are 8 years apart. And even if it did pertain to him, enough time has still passed.)

The only DUI-related offense that has a maximum imprisonment of over 10 years (which WOULD make him ineligible) would be if he killed somebody while DUI. Please tell me he didn't kill somebody :( .

Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer.

EDIT. for clarity.

The main issue is what was his sentence for the DUI? Most often, treatmet is required for a 2nd DUI. He would need proof that he completed the court-ordered treatment. I work in the Drug and Alcohol field in PA and just ran into this the other month with a client. He was going to Canada and had 2 DUI's...they just wanted something in writing that he completed the required treatment. Worked like a charm and he had no issues then. I know it has been awhile, however if he can produce the paperwork saying he completed everything, or go and request it from where he went....might not have the records, but if someone is still there and can help him out, they will. I would start to see what you can do, as it may take a little bit to locate the right person. Good luck!

• 1 month later...
The hubby has 2 DUI convictions....1st when he was 21 and the second at 29...the first was technically "continued without a finding". He is 45 now and hasn't had a drink in 16 years. I booked a cruise to Canada not knowing the rules (stupid i know) :eek: Is he going to be denied boarding or just have to remain on the ship in new Brunswick? We leave in 3 weeks (from Boston) so too late to "apply" for anything. I've read the threads...I need someone who's cruised with these circumstances to help! Has anyone been denied boarding before???

I am wondering how your cruise went. Hope you had a great time. Did you have any trouble? I know some one in a similar situation. Please respond if you can as her cruise is coming up soon. Thanks

A DUI is considered felony conviction in Canada so yes a person with a conviction within 10 years of arrival in Canada is not admissible. That said the Canadian customs officers have a great deal of discretion as to who they admit and who they don't. If refused admission a person can request a one time temporary admission permit at the border and the fee is $200.

However, in the case of the OP her husband's conviction occurred more than 10 years ago and there should not be an issue. I would advise bringing along any documentation with regard to the matters and be prepared to show them if asked. You do not need to volunteer any information and I doubt very much that is will even come up.

Correct.

I find it outstanding the number of Canadians who have contributed to this thread who haven't a freaking clue about what they are talking about.

Typical CC I guess.

I am wondering how your cruise went. Hope you had a great time. Did you have any trouble? I know some one in a similar situation. Please respond if you can as her cruise is coming up soon. Thanks

We had a blast! No problems getting on the ship and we were able to get off in Canada without any trouble at all. hope your friend has a good time :)

I find it outstanding the number of Canadians who have contributed to this thread who haven't a freaking clue about what they are talking about.

Typical CC I guess.

:rolleyes:

I find it outstanding the number of CCers who didn't thoroughly read the thread, ignored the dates, ignored that the answer has been given many times, failed to comprehend those answers...AND still felt the need to puff out their own chest, call others out, and comment on it like the rest of the forums was anxiously awaiting their response just so we could have some closure to the topic.

Don't take it to heart. That, my friend, is CC to a tee.

Correct.

Typical CC I guess.

Wow, i'm amazed as well. I don't know why since i see it everyday right here at work. I see people getting their travel plans changed drastically when they are turned around at the border. Thank you for the posters who were smart enough to look on the CBSA website for answers. We Canadians are quite strict immigration wise, we take the protection of our people at heart. Why do people ask the opinion of a travel forum regarding admissibility in a country is beyond me. It's not because someone was able to travel in a country with a criminal conviction (here in Canada, a DUI is a criminal conviction) that it means that it's ok to do so. We unfortunately cannot do a background check on every traveller that crosses the border. Those who are selected (wheter based on information received, indicators or totally randomly) will have a background check and if you have a DUI, you could be denied entry. There are several factors to consider (time elapse since the conviction or sentenced imposed..., and only a CBSA or CIC officer can answer those questions and provide more clarity based on the specific case.

Please, for all of those reading this, please visit the www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca website for more information regarding admissibility. Carnival or any other third party cannot help you.

From a fellow cruiser who actually knows what she's talking about;)

My boyfriend also had a DUI and is banned from entering Canada.

I was interested in going on the Carnival Glory out of NY to Canada and my PVP just happened to call me. I mentioned my problem and she said she has had a lot of clients with the same situation. There is no problem. Since it is a complete circuit (starts and ends in the US) that my boyfriend would not go through the Canadian customs and be denied entry.

In short - not a problem on a cruise starting and ending in the US.

• 3 weeks later...
Wow, i'm amazed as well. I don't know why since i see it everyday right here at work. I see people getting their travel plans changed drastically when they are turned around at the border. Thank you for the posters who were smart enough to look on the CBSA website for answers. We Canadians are quite strict immigration wise, we take the protection of our people at heart. Why do people ask the opinion of a travel forum regarding admissibility in a country is beyond me. It's not because someone was able to travel in a country with a criminal conviction (here in Canada, a DUI is a criminal conviction) that it means that it's ok to do so. We unfortunately cannot do a background check on every traveller that crosses the border. Those who are selected (wheter based on information received, indicators or totally randomly) will have a background check and if you have a DUI, you could be denied entry. There are several factors to consider (time elapse since the conviction or sentenced imposed..., and only a CBSA or CIC officer can answer those questions and provide more clarity based on the specific case.

Please, for all of those reading this, please visit the www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca website for more information regarding admissibility. Carnival or any other third party cannot help you.

From a fellow cruiser who actually knows what she's talking about;)

So very well said...thank you.

There are many cases that I have read over the last 4 years on how they will

not let people in for a DUI, shoplifting, reckless driving. Some cases they were over 40 years early. Search google for online travel magazines, etc.

While many folks make it with no issues others do not. Since the US and Canada starting sharing court records, etc about 10 years ago they have

access to it. Just depends on the who and how.

But if you get denied you will not get refund from carnival and I have read insurance will not cover it either.

• 2 years later...
My boyfriend also had a DUI and is banned from entering Canada.

I was interested in going on the Carnival Glory out of NY to Canada and my PVP just happened to call me. I mentioned my problem and she said she has had a lot of clients with the same situation. There is no problem. Since it is a complete circuit (starts and ends in the US) that my boyfriend would not go through the Canadian customs and be denied entry.

In short - not a problem on a cruise starting and ending in the US.

I see you already sailed...any problems? We are going on the same cruise next week and now I am nervous to book excursions....for a 12 year old issue.

You'll be fine! Canada lets criminals in all of the time. It's only the US that cares about such things. ;)

Liz

This is so not true. It will all depend on the Canadian border agent. I have traveled there several times and their rules say if you have a DUI conviction you can be denied entry.

if you go back and look at post #14 you will find that it is accurate today as it was in May 2012. However, the one thing that has changed is that CBSA (Canadian Customs) has become more diligent about people on closed loop cruises. There was a time that they tended to ignore people with criminal records that were less than 10 years old if they were just getting off the ship in a Canadian port for the day....well that has changed and you may be taken separately from the ship to a "naughty" room by CBSA officials and informed privately that you are not welcome in Canada and must return to the ship.

So wow. Canada actually monitors who enters their country? Novel idea.

Well in this case it comes more as a result of Canada and the US now sharing information on criminal records. This wasn't the case in the past and further there previously was no requirement for a ship to provide CBSA with a passenger manifest, if they did it was on a volunteer basis.

Hi All,

I work aboard a CCL cruise ship which is currently on a weekly route to Canada.

Allow me to share exactly what our process is -

You do not have to pre-register, or notify anyone of the DUI's. Do not underestimate how investigatory the Canadian CBP is. When they board our cruise ship upon arrival to our first Canadian port, they provide us with a list of guests on board that need to present themselves for inspection (don't worry it's really just a face to face meeting with Canadian customs agents, where they ask you a ton of questions about your prior convictions and try to determine if you're a further threat to the peace and civility of their great nation of moose and syrup).

If, worst case scenario, CBP determines that you (or in this case, your husband's) crimes are too egregious to forgive, then your husband would simply be blocked from going ashore in any Canadian ports. That's all, so you would still be able to board the cruise ship is Boston, and enjoy the cruise, just not Canada - but that's worst case scenario.

Hope this helps!

Thank you for your information DASH1106, while slightly different then what was been happing in Victoria this season in substance it is pretty close. However, CBP is American Customs and Border Protection in Canada it is CBSA which stands for Canadian Border Services Agency.

• 1 month later...

For many years I have managed a ship that sails out of Seattle to Alaska.

Each week when we make our required foreign port call at Victoria BC, CBSA sends us a list of American passengers (and family members) who must be blocked at the gangway.

Then the officials come onboard for face to face interviews. After an hour or so, the officials let us know which ones can be allowed to go ashore. Usually about 50% of the list is allowed to go. The other 50% are detained onboard.

Once a month or so, one of them goes off in handcuffs and we do not see him again.