Aer Lingus

jamona2311

Anyone have any thoughts on this airline? Ive been watching the prices on this airline for our flight to Italy. Looking at eveyrthing it seems like a very nice line, good food, comfortable seats, etc. Im just looking for some first hand expirences.

Thanks,

Gena

We flew them this summer to Barcelona then home from Paris. They were okay - thought the seats were uncomfortable for such a long ride. Food was so-so. They can be an economical airline and this is what you are getting.

I'm not sure I would use them again but then if the price was right, we might.

The aircraft you'll be on makes a difference as far as comfort, too. One thing we liked about Aer Lingus when we flew home Dublin/JFK. Customs and immigration were done in Dublin. (Don't know if they do this for all flights to any US city) When we arrived at JFK it was like arriving on a domestic flight. We just collected our bags and walked out. The last time we arrived at JFK from Europe (different trip, different airline) it took over an hour to clear immigration and customs.

Edited by donnatello

You can pre-clear US customs and immigration in Dublin (and Shannon airport) for most flights that depart Ireland to the US.

Dublin Airport http://www.dublinairport.com/gns/at-the-airport/US-Preclearance.aspx gives slightly different details of aer lingus flights than the information shown on the aer lingus website http://www.aerlingus.com/travelinformation/movetoterminal2atdublin/usimmigration/

This could be changes to the attendance hours of the USCB officers in Dublin airport or it could be seasonal differences.

United, US Airways and American flights all pre clear in Dublin

One thing we liked about Aer Lingus when we flew home Dublin/JFK. Customs and immigration were done in Dublin. (Don't know if they do this for all flights to any US city) When we arrived at JFK it was like arriving on a domestic flight. We just collected our bags and walked out. The last time we arrived at JFK from Europe (different trip, different airline) it took over an hour to clear immigration and customs.
This is US government "pre-clearance". A Wikipedia article on the procedure and facilities offering it can be found HERE. Note that it is not just for Aer Lingus, but for all airlines flying from DUB (and other designated airports).

Basically, it transfers the procedure to the front end of the flight rather than at the conclusion. Though this makes the back end much easier, there can be major trade-offs up front. Toronto (YYZ) has a reputation for notorious lines for US pre-clearance, especially in the early morning. Folks regularly show up 2-3 hours before a flight just to be sure to get through the USA C&I. Plus, you have to manage your luggage from the check-in line, through C&I, then drop them off, then go through personal security screening.

Can it help at airports with C&I headaches, such as JFK? Yep. Can it be a pain when flying to airports that would normally be a snap through C&I? Yep. You pays your money.....

When we went to Ireland from MCO on Aer Lingus in 2011, we cleared customs in Dublin which was great. When we took them from JFK to Vienna in 2012, we left Dublin later in the day and the US customs station was already closed for the day leaving us with that hour to get luggage and pass customs in NY. Also on the MCO trip, we flew business and could clear customs when we wanted but economy passengers had to arrive at the airport 3 hours early and go through customs immediately spending a long time in line. Either way, Aer Lingus is a pretty good airline with great deals in Ireland and good price is right deals to other parts of Europe often. The US customs clearing in Dublin is a great extra when offered either way.

We flew from LAX to Dublin back in 2008, so a little dated. I found the entire flight very comfortable and the service was good. 11 hour flight can be taxing, but they took good care of us.

We zipped through customs both coming and returning. Clearing in Dublin allowed us to use a domestic terminal gate at LAX so there was no waiting for anything.

• 7 months later...