Viking Grand European Cruise

eguiney

My wife and I did our first river cruise, the City of Lights (Prague to Paris) cruise in 2014 and completely enjoyed it. We are looking into doing the Grand European (Amsterdam to Budapest) cruise in 2016. I was wondering if folks who have done this cruise can recommend the best time of year. May/June or August/September or other months better?

Thanks in advance.

We are doing the same cruise only from Budapest to Amsterdam in June 2015. Have done a lot of Princess cruises but first time on a river cruise, looking forward to the experience.

Would also appreciate any comments on this cruise or weather, including packing tips.

Mike

We did 15 day Grand European river cruise - Amsterdam to Budapest, and added on Prague, - for a total of 18 days. We sailed third week of October - until mid November. the fall foliage and colors were amazing. I remember one day of rain (not pouring) - generally sunny days - it started to turn a bit nippy by the time we were in Prague, however we did not need winter coats. We layered clothing, but I did wear gloves near the end of the trip.

the weather was nice and brisk, less crowds and as I said, the scenery with all fall colors was picture postcard perfect

Carol

we did a viking Grand European last 2 weeks of September 2014. Good weather...had some cool rain( hot chocolate and mulled wine served on the sun deck) and a few quite warm days...layering was the key. Trees just starting to change colors...early morning mist on the river. It was perfect for touring.

There was a great thread last year about packing tips for fall travel...and a blog...

May and June give you longer days.

August is holiday time for many Europeans, so there may be more crowds. You may also have higher temperatures, AC is not everywhere as here in the states.

September and October may present the opportunity to visit local fests.

Before May and after mid-October you may find outdoor and seasonal attractions and activities closed.

My husband and I did the grand European in early October 2013. Mornings were nippy (40-50 degrees). Wore gloves some mornings. Bought a scarf which added warmth. Usually by noon days became warmer. (60-70). Too cool to use top level of boat (which is closed for a good part of the trip). Was able to eat outside about a third of the time.

Very good fall coverage. Only half day of rain, most days were partly cloudy. Trip was awesome.

We did the Grand European Budapest to Amsterdam in the last week of May and the first week on June. 2013 The weather was perfect for us. No rain at all. I did notice that it got cooler the closer we got to Holland. Must have been the windmills.

We did the Grand European last year June 14 to 28. The weather was perfect. I felt the longer trip was much more worthwhile than the seven nighters, long flights are involved either way.

I like longer cruises also when flying that far. Glad to hear that the weather should be fine that time of year though anything can happen.

Any optional tours or sights that you can recommend or remember. Thanks.

Mike