travel insurance watch out!!!

I paid $295 for the Seven Corners Travel Insurance for our vacation cruise.

On the way back we were stranded in Philadelphia due to weather.

It was 2pm on Sat. and the next flight I could catch meant a 46 hour layover.

Rather than spend 2 nights in the hotel and run up 6 meals we elected to get a car and drive.

When I submitted a claim for $556. they paid me only $171. 30% of my out of pocket expenses.

Only rooms and meals were covered.

The car, gas, and tolls were not covered.

I should have eaten steak and lobster instead of fish & chips and stayed at their expense.

but then they probably would have come up with a reason not to pay for those expenses either.

Watch out, All the great reviews are from customers that didn’t submit a claim.

Its easy to be pleased if you didn’t need the coverage.

See link below

http://www.path2usa.com/forum/showthread.php?44248-Seven-Corners-Insurance:

This is why I never really pay attention to reviews of travel insurance. Especially when the person didn't file a claim. Not sure how you can really review an insurance company when you don't have a claim. Any company will be happy to take your money, of course you will have a good experience.

Did you keep the insurance company in the loop as soon as you encountered your delay ... or did you make your own decision rather than working with them? Did you read your contract of coverage to see what would be covered and under what circumstances? Had you contacted your insurer, you would have known upfront what would/would not be covered.

I dont think it fair to dis any company if you did not follow their written policy/contract.

Luckily we have only had to make one claim with travel insurance in our years of cruising and wouldn't you know it, it was with Seven Corners. Our ship was delayed getting back to port due to a medical emergency of a passenger whom we didn't know. Seven Corners paid all our out of pocket expenses including air in a timely manor.

The link the OP gave also included a response for Seven Corners.

Shak

I am sorry you did not understand the terms of your trip coverage; far too many people do not. I am sorry this happened but hopeful that others may read of your plight and decide to educate themselves on what their insurance covers. ALL travel insurance is for specific named perils, not 'anything that goes wrong' coverage. And each policy has their own specific limitations to coverage items and amounts.

Luckily we have only had to make one claim with travel insurance in our years of cruising and wouldn't you know it, it was with Seven Corners. Our ship was delayed getting back to port due to a medical emergency of a passenger whom we didn't know. Seven Corners paid all our out of pocket expenses including air in a timely manor.

The link the OP gave also included a response for Seven Corners.

Shak

What is the reasoning given?

(My computer is giving all sorts of red light warnings about the link, probably because we've never been to that site. But I'm very hesitant to over-ride the anti-virus software...)

Thanks very much.

GeezerCouple

What is the reasoning given?

(My computer is giving all sorts of red light warnings about the link, probably because we've never been to that site. But I'm very hesitant to over-ride the anti-virus software...)

Thanks very much.

GeezerCouple

The link is for another claim that the poster was not satisfied with the outcome of their claim. Seven Corners responded to their post. You should read it for yourself.

Seven Corners has an A+ rating by the BBB.

As others have said you have to read your policy carefully.

On our claim Seven Corners was one of the few that paid for air. Other well know insurance companies refused giving the reason that the delays would only be covered if they were a result of you or those traveling with you.

Shak

Edited by Shak

The link is for another claim that the poster was not satisfied with the outcome of their claim. Seven Corners responded to their post. You should read it for yourself.

Seven Corners has an A+ rating by the BBB.

As others have said you have to read your policy carefully.

On our claim Seven Corners was one of the few that paid for air. Other well know insurance companies refused giving the reason that the delays would only be covered if they were a result of you or those traveling with you.

Shak

Thanks so much.

As I already wrote, our anti-virus software is blocking that link.

GeezerCouple

Did you keep the insurance company in the loop as soon as you encountered your delay ... or did you make your own decision rather than working with them? Did you read your contract of coverage to see what would be covered and under what circumstances? Had you contacted your insurer, you would have known upfront what would/would not be covered.

I dont think it fair to dis any company if you did not follow their written policy/contract.

Dear PMS

thank you for your opinion. It is as valuable as all the other patrons that didn't submit a claim.

In regards to your thinking, since you are not out any money it is easy for you to chime in. And to answer your question, I called them on the way to pick up the car. The Seven Corners individual didn't seem to care and offered no input.

If they were willing to pay for 2 nights lodging and 6 meals then that is what the claim is worth.

Dear PMS

thank you for your opinion. It is as valuable as all the other patrons that didn't submit a claim.

In regards to your thinking, since you are not out any money it is easy for you to chime in. And to answer your question, I called them on the way to pick up the car. The Seven Corners individual didn't seem to care and offered no input.

If they were willing to pay for 2 nights lodging and 6 meals then that is what the claim is worth.

You're very welcome.

Interesting post and I wish the OP would post which Seven Corners Trip Insurance policy they had (the company sells several different policies with varying coverage). But a weather delay enroute should have been covered (up to the applicable limits) for a weather delay. I would be curious as to why they denied the rental car (and related) expenses? From what you describe in the post your actions sure seem reasonable.

And did you appeal their decision? Finally, if they do not offer a satisfactory answer for denying the claim we would write a letter to your New York State Insurance Commissioner and copy it to both the Indiana Insurance Commission and Seven Corners. And finally you should also file a complaint via the Better Business Bureau.

The bottom line with insurance companies is that if you feel that they have not properly settled a claim, and you are supported by the language in the policy, then you should continue to push the issue.

Hank

I agree with Hiltner, specific policy would be good as well as the specific reason they gave for denying the claim. Otherwise, just a lot of guessing. Looking at the Round Trip Choice for Trip Delay:

TRIP DELAY

The Company will reimburse You for Covered Expenses on a one-time basis, up to the maximum shown in the Confirmation of Coverage, if You are delayed en route to or from the Trip for twelve (12) or more hours due to a defined Hazard.

There will be a per day limit of $300.

Covered Expenses include:

(a) any prepaid, unused, non-refundable land and water accommodations;

(b) any reasonable Additional Expenses incurred;

© an Economy Fare from the point where You ended Your Trip to a destination where You can catch up to the Trip;

(d) a one-way Economy Fare to return You to Your originally scheduled return destination.

Nothing about renting a car, although arguably that might be a reasonable expense. But that's just guessing what the claim was, and why the claim was denied.

I agree with Hiltner, specific policy would be good as well as the specific reason they gave for denying the claim. Otherwise, just a lot of guessing. Looking at the Round Trip Choice for Trip Delay:

TRIP DELAY

The Company will reimburse You for Covered Expenses on a one-time basis, up to the maximum shown in the Confirmation of Coverage, if You are delayed en route to or from the Trip for twelve (12) or more hours due to a defined Hazard.

There will be a per day limit of $300.

Covered Expenses include:

(a) any prepaid, unused, non-refundable land and water accommodations;

(b) any reasonable Additional Expenses incurred;

© an Economy Fare from the point where You ended Your Trip to a destination where You can catch up to the Trip;

(d) a one-way Economy Fare to return You to Your originally scheduled return destination.

Nothing about renting a car, although arguably that might be a reasonable expense. But that's just guessing what the claim was, and why the claim was denied.

*IF* this was the policy and terms - and we do not know if this is or not - then I would certainly appeal, based upon the "reasonable Additional Expenses".

I'd also add up the costs of 2 nights of hotel, all meals, and the airfare, and (I'm guessing) show that what was in fact spent and claimed was *less*.

And if the insurer still denied the claim, I'd take all of this to the state Insurance Commissioner, etc.

But we don't know if any of these terms are relevant...

GeezerCouple

*IF* this was the policy and terms - and we do not know if this is or not - then I would certainly appeal, based upon the "reasonable Additional Expenses".

I'd also add up the costs of 2 nights of hotel, all meals, and the airfare, and (I'm guessing) show that what was in fact spent and claimed was *less*.

And if the insurer still denied the claim, I'd take all of this to the state Insurance Commissioner, etc.

But we don't know if any of these terms are relevant...

GeezerCouple

Pretending I was a claims adjuster, I might argue that "reasonable expenses" are for things like toiletries and laundry for the duration of the delay, and that if they wanted to be covered for the return home, they should have gotten a one-way Economy fare per item "d" - up to $300 per day.

However, I'm not a claims adjuster. Like I said, the rental is arguable. If it was my money, I'd certainly appeal like you suggested. Nothing wrong with arguing if money is involved. But we don't know if the OP filed for Trip Delay, nor the specific policy terms, nor why the company denied.

Pretending I was a claims adjuster, I might argue that "reasonable expenses" are for things like toiletries and laundry...

Nope, see definition below.

...then I would certainly appeal, based upon the "reasonable Additional Expenses"...But we don't know if any of these terms are relevant...
Terms have been defined in the policy.

... I would be curious as to why they denied the rental car (and related) expenses? From what you describe in the post your actions sure seem reasonable...
Because the policy defines Additional Expenses and it does not include a rental car (or a toothbrush), just meals and lodging, at the maximum rate per day UP TO the policy maximum. If OP used the Roundtrip plan, that's $150 per day up to $500.

This from the Seven Corners Roundtrip policy, but all their plans have the same definitions:

Additional Expense: means any reasonable expenses for meals and lodging which were necessarily incurred as the result of a Hazard and which were not provided by the Common Carrier or other party free of charge.

Edited by cherylandtk

Yes and No. Yes, it is worth that in meals and lodging costs; but by contract it is not worth that same amount in rental car expenses, train tickets, or anything other than meals and lodging. Edited by cherylandtk

This from the Seven Corners Roundtrip policy, but all their plans have the same definitions:

Additional Expense: means any reasonable expenses for meals and lodging which were necessarily incurred as the result of a Hazard and which were not provided by the Common Carrier or other party free of charge.

Well, I guess I won't quit my day job to become a claims adjuster. :)

It's always the fine print that gets you. I think OP is out of luck on the Trip Delay claim for the car rental

I completely agree. The very first piece of advice you always hear when it comes to purchasing travel insurance is "know what's covered and what's not covered." It's not the insurance company's fault if a person doesn't pay attention to that. There are so many options out there, and it's up to the consumer to pick something that suits their needs and expectations.

I agree that we all need to know what is really covered by these policies, that said, Seven Corners/Tin Leg/Squaremouth dot com did a terrible job for me. We had to cancel a trip last minute for a medical emergency. I submitted ALL of the paperwork to them within 9 days and the promptly lost half of it. It took months to get a simple claim settled and I might still be waiting if I had not complained long and loud. They make a lot of promises but in the end, the claims service/process was terrible.

I actually read through the first couple of pages in the link provided. Some of the complaints are just total nonsense, like people whining about an airline not refunding their nonrefundable tickets.

The reality is, an insurance company won't make payment for non covered items. People don't understand what coverage they have, then run to the internet crying, "scam, ripoff, etc" when they turn in a claim that's denied, because they never had insurance to cover the situation.

If you feel your claim has been denied in error, file an appeal. If you still feel it wasn't processed correctly, contact your state's department of insurance.