Where to play piano

fernandodvs

Hi guys, I was wondering where I can play the piano on the Allure of the Seas. I'm an experienced piano player. Maybe as good as the pianists onboard so me playing wouldn't disturb anyone. I've seen in videos of the ship and there are a lot of pianos around the ship. If I see an unused piano from a bar can I just start playing it or it's against the rules? Are there any "guest" pianos?

Thanks a lot for your time, you guys are amazing!

--------------------------------------------------------

Next Cruise

Allure of the Seas , August 3rd 2014

---------------------------------------------------------

Hi guys, I was wondering where I can play the piano on the Allure of the Seas. I'm an experienced piano player. Maybe as good as the pianists onboard so me playing wouldn't disturb anyone. I've seen in videos of the ship and there are a lot of pianos around the ship. If I see an unused piano from a bar can I just start playing it or it's against the rules? Are there any "guest" pianos?

Thanks a lot for your time, you guys are amazing!

Next Cruise

You should contact the cruise line for these answers. I'm sure they all have their own rules and concerns. If they allow it they will probably want to approve in advance what pieces you will be playing. Most cruise lines have their own "vibe" that they want presented.

On Carnival, all of the piano's have a locking mechanism on them so they can't be accessed by passengers. It's certainly not something they encourage, and just by using the locks they clearly are discouraging there use.

And just because you don't think you would be disturbing anyone doesn't mean you aren't. Sometimes silence is welcomed.

We saw a young man playing a piano on Carnival that is used for photos. He was practicing music he wrote for the ship's talent show. He was very good and all around him enjoyed his playing. I'm not sure who you should contact about this. Maybe the Entertainment director or Hotel Director?

I have also been on ships where passengers actually played for everyone. One man was a sax player and he just started playing on the deck on day, later he played on the lido stage. Also saw an entire show band with a great singer play on the lido stage. Once a guitar player played with the band on the lido deck. So, you never know...................

Edited by Bonnie J.

Definitely ask guest services and they may give you a space/times where this might be possible. This is not meant as an attack at all but ... I was once on a cruise and there was a young man who was extremely talented at playing the piano. However, the only one on that ship was in a lounge designed for quiet time during the day. It was not appropriate for him to play no matter his skill playing the instrument and guest services let him know that.

There are no pianos on any RCI ship that I am aware of that are intended for guest use. I would definitely agree to check with Guest Services after you board - and certainly before you just sit down somewhere and start playing - to get permission first.

Those that are in lounges typically are for the use of the ship's entertainers - for instance the Schooner Bar which is the ship's piano bar - and passenger time would likely be very limited or not available at all.

And although you may come across a piano that is not in use at the time, as silentbob007 indicated, there are times when pianos are not being played by intention.

Thanks for your answers! I will go to guest services once I arrive to ask permission :)

Next Cruise

Some of the suites on Royal Caribbean have pianos in them.

I once went on a tour of the Summit and there was a piano in the top suite.

You can always ask the cruise line, but I'm guessing they'll say no. My hubby has taken his guitar on our last three Princess cruises (we were within driving distance of that port) and would find a nook to play in. The last cruise he went up to Skywalkers, which by night is a disco, but usually not much used in the daytime.

We were with a group of people enjoying a lounge mid afternoon. The lounge was closed for service but it's common for people to use them for reading, socializing or table games during the day.

Someone came and started playing the piano. He might of thought he was good but we all felt the music was not nice and found it disturbing after a bit. Ended up being a bit of an unpleasant scene after one passenger politely asked him to stop and he refused and the scene deteriorated.

Bottom line: I do not think it is Ok to just start playing an open piano in a public area without express permission from the ships management.

We were with a group of people enjoying a lounge mid afternoon. The lounge was closed for service but it's common for people to use them for reading, socializing or table games during the day.

Someone came and started playing the piano. He might of thought he was good but we all felt the music was not nice and found it disturbing after a bit. Ended up being a bit of an unpleasant scene after one passenger politely asked him to stop and he refused and the scene deteriorated.

Bottom line: I do not think it is Ok to just start playing an open piano in a public area without express permission from the ships management.

so if he had been granted permission by the ship's management and was still not up to your standards would you felt it your place to intervene?

so if he had been granted permission by the ship's management and was still not up to your standards would you felt it your place to intervene?

The point is he did not and I don't believe the ship would have granted him permission. However, now that we are talking about it, I do recall a situation on one cruise where we knew of someone who was granted access to a lounge that had doors and was NOT open to passengers during the day in order to practice their music. In that situation they would not be disturbing any passengers. So there might be an option available if you ask.

And to answer your question more directly, if The person claimed to have permission I would call the ship's guest services to complain.

Edited by Lsimon

I play mostly classic music and some contemporary pianists like yiruma and raul di blassio if you don't like this type of music and find it unpleasant you are not human

Please take no offense in this but....

You may in fact be a great musician in which case we probably wouldn't mind the music, and would probably enjoy it, as long as it was not interfering with other activities the lounge was typically used for that time of day by other passengers. But some people might feel the quality, and attractiveness, of their music is greater than others would think.

I play mostly classic music and some contemporary pianists like yiruma and raul di blassio if you don't like this type of music and find it unpleasant you are not human

Really? I hope you mean that as a humorous comment, otherwise the arrogance implied by it IMO is offensive should one not be a fan of that style of music.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Guys I didn't mean to offend anyone. And I'm sorry if I did, maybe I should reserve my passion for myself or ask the guests in the area if they mind me playing. :D

CHEERS!

Next Cruise

Wow - totally uncalled for. How can you say something like "....you are not human" if they don't share your taste in music and be surprised if people are offended?

On the Summit in October, on a sea day with the art show going on, seats in the public spaces were at a premium, but we finally found a spot in the area near the Café Al Bacio. After enjoying the relative quiet people watching for awhile, a passenger came in, sat at the piano, pulled out her sheet music and started to play. She was not very good, played mostly hymns, and kept repeating the same few songs over & over. Definitely disturbing and we finally went back to our room. While you may think your music would be much better, it will disturb at least some of the passengers who do not share your musical taste or just prefer quiet. Even if you ask people in the area if they'd mind, many would be too polite to say 'Yes' even if it did bother them.

Guys I didn't mean to offend anyone. And I'm sorry if I did, maybe I should reserve my passion for myself or ask the guests in the area if they mind me playing. :D

Now this may sound odd, but I don't think asking the guests in the area if they mind you playing is sufficient.

First off, a lot of people, myself included, tend to be more polite than assertive and might tend to say yes, or not object if someone else in the area has just said yes, even if they'd picked the area due to the relative quiet atmosphere that time of day (this was the case in my first example above).

Second, others might come into the area with plans to spend some time there and be put off by the music.

Third, and I'm saying this without knowing for certain how good you really are nor the style of your music, someone might say yes to be polite and then regret that statement after a short while. I have to admit I have no idea who yiruma or raul di blassio are so I can't say if I'm human in your point of view or not. Remember that very few people like all styles of music which is why there is such a variety.

I think that your first move has to be asking the ship's staff if there is a location you can play/practice and ascertaining the time of day and length of play they will allow you. I would not count on them allowing you any time at all but if they do then it puts this whole discussion in a different light.

Edited by Lsimon

I'm confused :confused: ...... certainly not the first time. :o

I'm trying to figure out if you mean you want to practice piano while on your cruise or do you wish to appoint yourself as unpaid, uninvited entertainment. My confusion is why should it be expected that your fellow guests should be expected to welcome or appreciate that?

If someone wants to hear a piano concert, they make the choice to attend and do so. If someone does not wish to listen to classical piano when trying to have a conversation in a lounge they expect to be void of 'entertainment' at that hour, they should not be put in the uncomfortable position of saying your music is not welcome to them.

It's hard to tell a musician that you are not enjoying their efforts and you are disturbing their 'quiet enjoyment'.

ANYTHING a guest does that is forced upon another against their will without explicit direction of the cruise ship officials, should be avoided, IMO

Not everyone loves a piano concert, strange as that may seem.

Edited by sail7seas

if ship's management said yes and I didn't like it the style or proficiency level, I'd leave. I'd also maybe complain to Guest services about a designated 'quiet area' being disturbed. no need to confront the player directly..assuming you knew for sure if permission had indeed been gratned.

and that is pretty damn rude of you. hell I have never even HEARD of those artists. and I have my own opinions on what is and is not quality classical music.

the bottom line it is NOT your personal private practice area and it is NOT your personal private piano.

Musical tastes are very subjective so to say that if someone doesn't care for your favorites, they have bad taste or don't like real music or they're "not human" is very pretentious in my book. I learned to play many different classical pieces when I was in my school orchestra, and my daughter had taken piano and vocal lessons for years and has played in school orchestra and now in concert band (playing flute, which she taught herself to play), so she has a great musical background (and grew up listening to different types of music and has gone to various concerts ranging from Diana Krall to Leon Russell). I am so glad she doesn't want to listen to Bieber or some of the other groups that some teens like, but I wouldn't blame her if she did (would just give me something to tease her about:D).

But I wouldn't go around saying if something doesn't like my taste in music, movies, television shows, etc., that they are inferior to myself. That is totally ridiculous for anyone to do that.