Flying Lufthansa (strike)

roygg

Glad it all worked out for you. ;)

Another note, LH employees are going through the gate area and weighing people's carry ons with a hand held scale (this is at SEA). So far I've seen eight people have to gate check their bags!

What is the weigh limit for carry-ons with LH? We plan to store our larger bags at the airport in DUD and take a carry-on, only, on to Berlin.

Glad it all worked out for you. ;)

Well, after the crew boarded, we had a 90 minute wait because of "maintenance issues". No explanation of what was going on until the captain came out and announced that half the toilets didn't work, and 40 people were not going to get on the flight.

They started boarding passengers in wheelchairs, then families with children. Announcement was made that if you gave up your seat, they would pay $800 for each ticket, provide meal and hotel vouchers, and get you on another flight.

I pulled out my iPad, found a BA flight leaving three hours later, went up to the GA and told her if she could get us on that flight, she could have our seats.

So, we ended up on the BA flight with $2,400. Not a bad day's work. Our original flight left almost four hours late, and we would have missed our connection in FRA anyway.

Edited by 6rugrats

I pulled out my iPad, found a BA flight leaving three hours later, went up to the GA and told her if she could get us on that flight, she could have our seats.

So, we ended up on the BA flight with $2,400. Not a bad day's work.

Well played!!! Especially if it was cash/check and not vouchers.

Last year it was 8kg.

:eek: Only 27lbs.! :eek: That's not going to work. :eek:

Well, after the crew boarded, we had a 90 minute wait because of "maintenance issues". No explanation of what was going on until the captain came out and announced that half the toilets didn't work, and 40 people were not going to get on the flight.

They started boarding passengers in wheelchairs, then families with children. Announcement was made that if you gave up your seat, they would pay $800 for each ticket, provide meal and hotel vouchers, and get you on another flight.

So, we ended up on the BA flight with $2,400. Not a bad day's work. Our original flight left almost four hours late, and we would have missed our connection in FRA anyway.

Congratulations. I would never have thought to check another airline for flights. Who paid for those seats...you or them?

:eek: Only 27lbs.! :eek: That's not going to work. :eek:

Congratulations. I would never have thought to check another airline for flights. Who paid for those seats...you or them?

LH did. When you take a bump, your airline has to pay to get you on another flight.

LH did. When you take a bump, your airline has to pay to get you on another flight.

Great! :)

8kg is approximately 18 lbs. A kg is about 2.2 lbs.

I typed in a 2 when I meant to type 17. I am going to have to rethink the luggage thing or do a trial run and weigh the bag. I don't think that I can get everything in a carry-on for two nights in Berlin and only have 17lbs. :rolleyes: What is their maximum weight for a checked bag?

I typed in a 2 when I meant to type 17. I am going to have to rethink the luggage thing or do a trial run and weigh the bag. I don't think that I can get everything in a carry-on for two nights in Berlin and only have 17lbs. :rolleyes: What is their maximum weight for a checked bag?

All of these depends on what cabin you are in. In Business and First, they don't seem to pay attention to carry on weight, and the checked bag weight is 32kg.

Economy is 23kg. See LH website, here:

http://www.lufthansa.com/online/portal/lh/us/info_and_services/baggage?nodeid=3331125&l=en&cid=1000390

It's Economy for a short flight. 50lbs is normal for us and the checked luggage. Just didn't want to have to drag that around with us. Perhaps we will each take a carry-on, instead of the one that we usually take.

Thank you again. :)

Well played!!! Especially if it was cash/check and not vouchers.

Cash - a credit right back to my credit card, and it showed up in two days. We have a quick toast to LH at every meal, since they've "paid" for them all.

Cash - a credit right back to my credit card, and it showed up in two days. We have a quick toast to LH at every meal, since they've "paid" for them all.

Yours is a tale to everyone to be very aware of what is happening and to be proactive!!! Kudos to you for searching right away for alternatives instead of waiting to see what LH would offer. I am sorry they put you through the emotional ringer with the seat/ticket snafus, but happy to see it worked out well in your favor. Karma does kick in once in awhile :D

Yours is a tale to everyone to be very aware of what is happening and to be proactive!!! Kudos to you for searching right away for alternatives instead of waiting to see what LH would offer. I am sorry they put you through the emotional ringer with the seat/ticket snafus, but happy to see it worked out well in your favor. Karma does kick in once in awhile :D

Well, we shall see tomorrow on the return flight. Currently can't check in, as LH shows I don't have a valid ticket, same problem as the outbound flight. Will be unhappy if they again give away my aisle seat and stick me in the middle of the middle row! I guess it's only ten hours or so.

Well, we shall see tomorrow on the return flight. Currently can't check in, as LH shows I don't have a valid ticket, same problem as the outbound flight. Will be unhappy if they again give away my aisle seat and stick me in the middle of the middle row! I guess it's only ten hours or so.

I know it's late and you're probably asleep…

I assume you've called LH about the ticket issue… And, did you buy direct from LH or from UA as a *Alliance ticket? I'd try UA too, in that case.

And, I'm sure you've got all the alternative flights memorized already ;)

good luck!!!

• 2 weeks later...
I know it's late and you're probably asleep…

I assume you've called LH about the ticket issue… And, did you buy direct from LH or from UA as a *Alliance ticket? I'd try UA too, in that case.

And, I'm sure you've got all the alternative flights memorized already ;)

good luck!!!

This is a late response, but ticket was purchased directly from UA. Called UA when I couldn't check in, and was told I did have a ticket, but that LH and UA didn't have very compatible computer systems, and that is was not uncommon.

At the airport, I was unable to check in and was sent to the ticket counter. Twenty minutes later, I was given a printout with a totally different ticket number and sent back to the other counter to check bags.

Took another 15 minutes, but finally got checked in. Luckily, this time, my aisle seat had not been given away. I don't know anyway to avoid this problem. Code shares can be a pain.