Best Lobster Restaurant. Bar Harbor,Maine

cruise47

I can't remember the name but it sits on top of a hill overlooking the harbor, it has a winding drive to the top and was very good with lots of windows. I sure someone will come up with the name.

J.

Side Street Cafe (not on water) has the best lobster roll in town. Stewman's is right next to the pier with great views. Might not be the best lobster dinner in town but you can't beat the location.

For restaurant reviews, go to TripAdvisor, enter Bar Harbor and click on restaurants. It will bring up all the reviewed restaurants, ranked from top to bottom. Just like with cruise reviews, throw out any extreme top or bottom reviews and concentrate on those that seem realistic. You can also go to Google maps, look up Bar Harbor then do a 'search nearby' for restaurants. That will show you exactly where each one is located.

I really don't think you can go wrong in Bar Harbor - they know exactly what the visitors want and in such a competitive market wouldn't stay in business long if they didn't provide it. They'll all be very pricey, but that's to be expected. By the way - in addition to lobster, make sure to try the blueberry pies.

For restaurant reviews, go to TripAdvisor, enter Bar Harbor and click on restaurants. It will bring up all the reviewed restaurants, ranked from top to bottom. Just like with cruise reviews, throw out any extreme top or bottom reviews and concentrate on those that seem realistic. You can also go to Google maps, look up Bar Harbor then do a 'search nearby' for restaurants. That will show you exactly where each one is located.

I really don't think you can go wrong in Bar Harbor - they know exactly what the visitors want and in such a competitive market wouldn't stay in business long if they didn't provide it. They'll all be very pricey, but that's to be expected. By the way - in addition to lobster, make sure to try the blueberry pies.

Thanks for the information.

We spend time in Bar Harbor every summer. The very best lobster is found out of town from the local "Lobster Pounds" or local lobstermen. That being said - you really can't go wrong with lobster in almost any Bar Harbor eatery. Traditional boiled lobster is the way to go but a lobster roll (no mayo), on a buttered roll is next best. Of course, there is always lobstah chowda!

Edited by sippican

We spend time in Bar Harbor every summer. The very best lobster is found out of town from the local "Lobster Pounds" or local lobstermen. That being said - you really can't go wrong with lobster in almost any Bar Harbor eatery. Traditional boiled lobster is the way to go but a lobster roll (no mayo), on a buttered roll is next best. Of course, there is always lobstah chowda!

Thanks

I can't remember the name but it sits on top of a hill overlooking the harbor, it has a winding drive to the top and was very good with lots of windows. I sure someone will come up with the name.

Are you thinking of the Bar Harbor Inn?? Was this in Bar Harbor proper? Otherwise, I can't place it; there are very few restaurants in Bar Harbor that I would characterize as having good views of the harbor, and specially at the top of a hill.

SBtS

Had the lobster roll at Side Street and was a bit disappointed. Yes the meat was fresh and sweet, but the mayo added nothing and I was expecting lettuce in the sandwich. Didn't like the bun either. Unfortunately I didn't have it elsewhere so no comparison.

The cucumber slices on the side were 50 cents extra.

IMG_2291.jpg

BTW this was the "seafood mac". There was just too much shell pasta (which I would not call "macaroni").

IMG_2292.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Do most of the restaurants offer a 'no mayo' option? I can't eat mayo and have a vision of going from one lobster eaterie to the next looking for somewhere that offers this[emoji53]

I assume you are asking about a lobster roll. Since lobster rolls are not made before hand, you could ask that no mayo be used when you order it.

SBtS

Oh, that's good news. Quite often restaurants pre-mix fillings ready to put into rolls/salads etc. and if you ask for no mayo the answer is often 'no' because they used all the meat in the mix.

Do most of the restaurants offer a 'no mayo' option? I can't eat mayo and have a vision of going from one lobster eaterie to the next looking for somewhere that offers this[emoji53]

Many New Englanders consider the "classic" lobster roll to be butter only, toasted bun, no mayo, in contrast to a lobster salad roll with the "fixins". As suggested, check before ordering. Some restaurants will offer both options.

Edited by sippican

We had a port stop in Bar Harbor last week. After taking the Oli's Trolley Acadia Park Tour (hightly recommended) we started to look for a place to eat lunch. Stewman's, while right on the water, was, IMO, ridiculously overpriced. Yes, you're paying for the view too, but really...

Next we went to West St. Cafe where they said the wait was 35 minutes. I know that is "restaurant speak" for at least 45 minutes to an hour so we moved on.

We walked up the street two or three blocks to Side Street Cafe. There, they take your cell phone number so they can text you that your table is almost ready. We started to walk around the village square and got our text within 10 minutes. They have a very large and varied menu but plenty of lobster dishes. I went with the Lobster Cobb Salad which had a nice sized scoop of large pieces of lobster meat WITHOUT any mayo on top of the salad. DH went with the butter dressed lobster roll and was very happy. I couldn't resist the blueberry pie and was glad I went for it. One of the very best! All in all, a great lunch!