Embarkation - How to Learn the Layout of the Ship

bbgran190

We will be taking our first cruise on Holland.

Does the ship offer a "treasure hunt" or "scanvenger hunt" to familiarize a passenger with the layout of the ship prior to sail away. I know on other lines the treasure hunt is an attempt to show you the various venues to spend your money. That's okay with us. We enjoy getting an overview of the ship.

There will be a ship tour with someone on the cruise director's staff - usually an entertainment staffer. It often is at 1 p.m. but check your On Location program when you get into your stateroom for specific time and location.

I don't know what class of ship you're on, but on most HAL ships the majority of public spaces are on just three decks - Lido, Promenade, and either Upper or Lower Promenade. I suggest you get a copy of the deck plans from the HAL site and study those three decks. The other area you might like to frequent is the Crow's Nest, high and far forward.

It would be helpful to print out the Deck Plans for whichever ship you'll be on...they can be found on the HAL website. The folding map you will be given is helpful, too, but the ones on line are larger and easier to read.

It would be helpful to print out the Deck Plans for whichever ship you'll be on...they can be found on the HAL website. The folding map you will be given is helpful, too, but the ones on line are larger and easier to read.

Thanks for that great info., Sheila. I will definitely print out the online map and take it with us:)

Thanks for that great info., Sheila. I will definitely print out the online map and take it with us:)

You're welcome, Corgi Girl! I usually print it out when selecting a cabin...to see what's over or under whatever I'm thinking of booking.

You're welcome, Corgi Girl! I usually print it out when selecting a cabin...to see what's over or under whatever I'm thinking of booking.

Sheila, I just sent you a short e-mail message. Don't know if it will show up in your "junk" folder.

I study the deck plans so much before the cruise, I pretty much know my way around once I get on.:D. I do take my own tour (and take pictures) once I am on board.

LOL! I do the same. Practically have the deck plan memorized by the time I board!

We always do this ahead of sailing and study it before we leave home - it makes life so much easier on embarkation day (and helps heighten the lovely anticipation of the upcoming cruise). :)

Sometimes I even print an extra online copy of the public deck plans and highlight the locations we're especially interested in.

Once aboard, for the first couple of days, I tuck the folding map we receive aboard into my pocket ... just in case :D

I study the deck plans so much before the cruise, I pretty much know my way around once I get on.:D. I do take my own tour (and take pictures) once I am on board.

I thought everybody did this! :D

The other nice thing about HAL ships is that everything is fairly predictable:

"Food at the back; fun at the front"

I thought everybody did this! :D

The other nice thing about HAL ships is that everything is fairly predictable:

"Food at the back; fun at the front"

I hadn't thought of it that way, but your right food at the back, fun at the front. I'll have to remember that. Good information to give to a new cruiser. Thanks!

Whenever I get off the elevators I glance at the ship diagram and look for the "pointy" end to get myself oriented.

Otherwise it's pretty basic:

buffet (back) and pool/hot tubs (middle) up top;

show lounge main level in the front, same level as the dining room main level in the back.

"Front Desk" isn't at the front! it's in the Atrium.

Lower Promenade is where you can walk all around the ship outside.... I remember that because that's where they "lower" the life boats.

Enjoy!! m--