Bermuda options

EliseL

Hi all. We want to go to Bermuda for our next cruise. Options are smaller ship out of Boston or Breakaway out of NY. We are 20 minutes from Boston so it would be great not to have to really travel to the ship.

We have sailed smaller NCL ships before but the last two cruises were on the Epic and Breakaway. Friends that cruise have said now that we've done the big ships we won't want to go back to the smaller ones so to go out of NY.

Wanted to get opinions from others.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi all. We want to go to Bermuda for our next cruise. Options are smaller ship out of Boston or Breakaway out of NY. We are 20 minutes from Boston so it would be great not to have to really travel to the ship.

We have sailed smaller NCL ships before but the last two cruises were on the Epic and Breakaway. Friends that cruise have said now that we've done the big ships we won't want to go back to the smaller ones so to go out of NY.

Wanted to get opinions from others.

Thanks

This board is really complimentary of the Dawn. If you've been on Breakaway before, are you content with seeing the same shows? I don't think you can really go wrong either way, but it's really a personal preference thing. If you're sailing with Kids/Tweens/Teens there's probably more for them to do on Breakaway.

We went out of Boston last fall. It was great just zipping down to Boston. We were off the ship and home 2 hours after we docked and we had a side trip to East Boston. Not always the case but we were in a family 2 BR suite. But loved no real travel to and from the ship for a quick vacation. Haven't done the Breakaway yet but thinking about it, if I can sneak in another vacation this year :).

It really comes down to what you prefer.

Did you like the Breakaway and could see sailing again?

Do you like to try all kinds of ships?

Dawn is supposedly leaving Boston. Have you sailed or would like to sail on her?

I am close to the pier in NYC and it is nice when you get off the ship and are home in less than an hour. I envy Florida residents who have a huge selections of ships within driving distance.

What itinerary do you prefer more ?

They are NOT the same.

Dawn gets in on Sunday at 11am. All ( 95% ) the shops are closed on the Island. The Dockyard is fully opened, but usually the passengers prefer to visit and shop at the Dockyard on the last day to stay close to the ship...not the first.

On Sunday the taxi's are 25% more expensive...if you plan to use them to reach some places like the Lighthouse, the beaches, etc... it could result in a much higher cost.

The Breakaway gets in on Wednesday at 8am. Wednesday is Harbor Nights in Hamilton ( not that it's that great ), but all the main activities are put in place between Wednesday and Friday.

I sailed the Star and the Gem ( pretty close to the Dawn in size ) and the Breakaway...my next cruise is on the Dawn in just a few weeks...so I guess you can go back to a "smaller" ship...

Have fun !

We sailed to Bermuda on the Dawn, when she was still home ported in NYC. Sailing out of Manhattan, past the Statue of Liberty and under the Verazanno Bridge is tough to beat. The ship may lack a few amenities, but is still quite nice. Our cruise was shortly before her last major overhaul. The entertainment was second to none, although this may no longer be the case. The Breakaway is an intriguing design and I look forward to sailing on her in 2015, but would not hesitate to sail on the Dawn again.

Thanks all. I didn't think about the timing...that the ships leave on different days of the week. This gives me more to think about.

Love the info and opinions I get from everyone here. Thanks!

Thanks all. I didn't think about the timing...that the ships leave on different days of the week. This gives me more to think about.

I didn't, either, and while I'd still choose the Dawn due to the ease of travel to the port, I'm wondering what we'll do there if it rains on Sunday. The options are more limited than if it rains the first of three days on the Breakaway's visit.

If you're planning on going next Spring, you also might want to consider the HAL Veendam out of Boston. She's a lovely smaller ship and is the only one that docks right at Hamilton rather than out at the Royal Dockyard.

This ship is more expensive and formal.

I didn't, either, and while I'd still choose the Dawn due to the ease of travel to the port, I'm wondering what we'll do there if it rains on Sunday. The options are more limited than if it rains the first of three days on the Breakaway's visit.

I suppose that you can book a bus tour, or hop the public bus for a look around. Thank goodness, we had great weather on the Sunday we arrived.

I would still take the Dawn out of Boston because I like the ship, and I can't see incurring extra expense to travel to New York for the Breakaway. Certainly it's a newer ship, but too big for me.

Or you can look at it that you get off the Dawn and have the entire weekend before returning to work. ;)

Good point BUT leaving on Friday still requires 6 vacation days instead of 5 for most people.

Good point BUT leaving on Friday still requires 6 vacation days instead of 5 for most people.

True. Unless you do it over a holiday weekend. ;)

I usually use 6 vacation days for a seven-day cruise anyway as I like having the day off after we get home to get stuff done...especially when we have to fly.

We loved traveling from Boston- first time in 8 cruises that we didn't have to coordinate flights and hotels! We are just over an hour from Boston. Helped to keep the cost down for sure. Breakaway fare was about $1k more than the Dawn as well.

We have done Epic and Oasis and prefer the smaller ships. We didn't notice any issues with arriving on Sunday- everyone took the buses to the beaches and relaxed. The ferry to St George was quite busy on Monday so plan to get their early (before 9am) or plan to catch the second one.

Dawn is very nice- did not notice any issues with her "age" or being run down compared to the newer ships. We did feel the bar/restaurants were short staffed and not what we were used to experiencing.

Either way- you will be on vacation and enjoying yourself!

I've done Bermuda on both the BA and the Dawn. It really just depends in if you want all the extras the new ships bring, ( water slides, fireworks, waterfront, etc) or if you like the more homey feel of a smaller ship. I loved both cruises, (although now I've been spoiled by the BA Haven...)

I'm off to the Bahamas on the Gem next, so I'll be back on a smaller class ship, and, again, I know NCL will deliver the perfect vacation. It's all what you make it. :)

We are in Weymouth, about 15 miles south of Boston...I LOVE this cruise!! I love it so much, we cruised in May (with 5 kids) and are cruising again in October (just the 2 of us)!!

I love having the weekend to recuperate, but I can see that the extra day off may be hard for some...I am so close that I can go to work on the Friday afternoon that we get home, too...

Bon Voyage!!

I went Jewel to FL, Breakaway to Bermuda, then Gem to FL and never had any concerned going back to a smaller ship. If Boston is 20 min away absolutely take the Dawn and save the money

I agree. My only thought after doing the Bermuda several times is the difference in the itinerary. Breakaway spends two days going to Bermuda where as the Dawn spends two days coming back. I really do like the schedule from NYC better with 2 days of anticipation and a one day wind down at the end. That being said I would probably save the money and time and take what is closer.

This ship is more expensive and formal.

yes, it is more expensive and formal and I will be coming to Bermuda this September via the Dawn but I cannot wait til next season when I can take HAL to Bermuda into Hamilton so to avoid the "cattle call" of the Dockyard. This will be my first time docking at the Dockyard ~ all other stays have been in Hamilton so I am steeling myself for the masses. I've only passed thru the Dockyard and the congestion that was there ~ well I'm not looking forward to being a part of that but it is my only cruise venue to Bermuda ~ this year;)

yes' date=' it is more expensive and formal and I will be coming to Bermuda this September via the Dawn but I cannot wait til next season when I can take HAL to Bermuda into Hamilton so to avoid the "cattle call" of the Dockyard. This will be my first time docking at the Dockyard ~ all other stays have been in Hamilton so I am steeling myself for the masses. I've only passed thru the Dockyard and the congestion that was there ~ well I'm not looking forward to being a part of that but it is my only cruise venue to Bermuda ~ this year;)[/quote']

Hamilton is by far a better port . The bus drivers have us over a barrel in Dockyard and they know it .:mad:

Hamilton is by far a better port . The bus drivers have us over a barrel in Dockyard and they know it .:mad:

I have to just put my opinion out there because I'm very surprised that almost everyone says that Hamilton is so much better than Kings Wharf. I have done both but do not have your Bermuda experience. Other than Hamilton being more central making it more convenient why would you rather be there. In my opinion it is loud and smells like NYC with the exhaust fumes. It is busy as soon as you get off the ship as opposed to a more relaxed Kings Wharf. Just curious.