Important update on DSC

We are on the Gem 10 day now and we have just been informed by many of our long time friends who are crew memeber that the extra money in the Haven Guest and Suites $14.95 does not include Butler, Courtyard Butler and Concierge . I know a lot of you think that was where this was going. But it is not. please if you are sailing in the Haven or a suite do not think they have been included they definitely are not.

Hope everyone does what they believe is appropriate for these hard working men and women

We are on the Gem 10 day now and we have just been informed by many of our long time friends who are crew memeber that the extra money in the Haven Guest and Suites $14.95 does not include Butler, Courtyard Butler and Concierge . I know a lot of you think that was where this was going. But it is not. please if you are sailing in the Haven or a suite do not think they have been included they definitely are not.

Hope everyone does what they believe is appropriate for these hard working men and women

Always

Im not surprised they told you that, Turkeys don't tend to vote for Christmas.

Somethings very wrong if thats the situation.

Quote....

Norwegian Cruise Line is adjusting its discretionary daily service charges, effective for all sailings that depart on or after March 1, 2015.

The new rates are:

$12.95 per person per day for any category up to a mini-suite stateroom

$14.95 per person per day for any suite category

You can choose to pre-pay your service charges at the current rate of £7.00 per person per day. If charged on board, the new rates will apply.

Norwegian's daily discretionary service charges, which were last adjusted in 2009, make it easy for guests to provide gratuities to key onboard staff who provide superior guest service during the cruise, including their room steward, restaurant servers and behind-the-scenes support staff. Guests who are sailing in Suite categories also receive the services of a concierge, butler and dedicated wait staff

Unless someone can convince me that the the extra is justifiable, (please do so) my next cruise could be the first time I ever adjust the service charge back to $12.95.

Quote....

Norwegian Cruise Line is adjusting its discretionary daily service charges, effective for all sailings that depart on or after March 1, 2015.

The new rates are:

You can choose to pre-pay your service charges at the current rate of £7.00 per person per day. If charged on board, the new rates will apply.

Norwegian's daily discretionary service charges, which were last adjusted in 2009, make it easy for guests to provide gratuities to key onboard staff who provide superior guest service during the cruise, including their room steward, restaurant servers and behind-the-scenes support staff.

Guests who are sailing in Suite categories also receive the services of a concierge, butler and dedicated wait staff

Unless someone can convince me that the the extra is justifiable, (please do so) my next cruise could be the first time I ever adjust the service charge back to $12.95.

Well, we can also read this as just a statement of fact- guests who are sailing in Suite categories also receive ...blah blah

It doesn't say specifically that they are included. Just says the services are provided.

In any case, a tip of 14 dollars per person per week split between the concierge and the butler would be obscene., IMHO .We are a family of 5. I cannot imagine leaving only seventy dollars to split or share between the butler and concierge.

If my butler was horrid or I did not use the concierge I would not decrease our DSC, I would decrease the amount of cash that I gave them at the end of the cruise.

We always pay 14.75* on Royal and that is NOT including the concierge tip.

And they do not have butlers, the suite DSC is limply more pp than a non-suite

Lizzie

* last RCL cruise was 18 months ago. This may have increased since then.

This has been beat to death on the other thread about this. Bottom line, those who normally stiff the staff want to use this as a new excuse to do the same. Those will never allow themselves to be convinced. Everyone else will continue to pay the DSC and tip the suite staff as appropriate.

I know many of you are not happy with the new DSC and are saying it now covers the Butler and the Concierge. However, NCL is really no different than Celebrity which has the following rates and I quote:

• $12 per person per day in staterooms

• $12.50 per person per day in Concierge Class and AquaClass® staterooms

• $15.50 per person per day in suites

This gratuity is shared by your stateroom attendant, dining services staff, and housekeeping staff members who help enhance your vacation experience.

You will note that Celebrity doesn't include Suite Butlers or the Concierge in their standard gratuities sharing and Celebrity's rate for suites is greater than NCL's.

I never thought it did include them, however, thank you for double checking and posting this for those who do or might believe it does.

Harriet

So if we look at this as just a statement fact, help me understand why Suite Guests should pay more.

The additional cash tipping of the Concierge and Butler is irrelevant here.

The GV, for instance has 3 bedrooms and is over 5,000 sq. feet. More to clean.

The 2-bedroom and OS are larger and more to clean.

Many times there can be 4, 6, or 8 people in the suites. They are larger and do require more time per cabin.

That would be my guess.

Harriet

So if we look at this as just a statement fact, help me understand why Suite Guests should pay more.

The additional cash tipping of the Concierge and Butler is irrelevant here.

Why should someone have to justify to you anything about giving the staff extra pay bc they take care of a suite? If you don't like the increase of $14 extra for 7 days, don't sail in a suite.

Why should someone have to justify to you anything about giving the staff extra pay bc they take care of a suite? If you don't like the increase of $14 extra for 7 days, don't sail in a suite.

ooooooooooh get you! put you claws away, somebody having a grumpy day? Bless.

I don't think I asked for justification of peoples individual tipping, just curious as to peoples opinion why Norwegian believe that they can charge more for a suite using reasons that now appear inconsequential.

Ive just paid the $15000 for a cruise in January next year and $9000 for one in June. Do they really need to squeeze an extra $40/50 out of me??? Really???

My actual primary concern is the effect on the Butlers and Concierge, they WILL get less tips out of this (as someone pointed, with equal measure of charm and diplomacy.) Whilst I certainly won't change my habits, many people will use it as an excuse not to cash tip. Is it really worth the reduction in cash that the Butlers and Concierges will now witness??

So basically they have shafted the staff and put the additional revenue as profit on the bottom line. All this for guests that give additional tips to Butlers ands Concierges that are more than some people pay for the cruise.

Maybe I'm missing missing something, but I think it stinks. Im sure you'll correct me if i'm wrong. :D:D:D:D

Allow me to clarify..I really could care less who wants to say what, I joined these boards to give and get info 14 years ago. There was a staff meeting in St. Marteen this week. This information came from Senior Staff not just crew. eat your popcorn break out your beers just giving you first hand not hearsay from people. This comes from those not even in the tpiping process.

Best not to respond threads if you have nothing constructive to offer other than sarcasm.

We are in the Garden Villa have always been in the Haven and will continue to do the right thing.

Hope you all have wonderful cruisers ours has been amazing.

Quote....

The new rates are:

Norwegian's daily discretionary service charges, which were last adjusted in 2009, make it easy for guests to provide gratuities to key onboard staff who provide superior guest service during the cruise, including their room steward, restaurant servers and behind-the-scenes support staff. Guests who are sailing in Suite categories also receive the services of a concierge, butler and dedicated wait staff

You did say you want people to convince you why the extra is justifiable. I on the other hand would not lessen my tip to my butler and concierge by $7 each or tip them any less amount than I normally do bc I had to pay an extra $14 to the other staff and there are many other members on here that feel the increase is not a big deal and well deserved.

I wouldn't be bragging about how much I paid for my cruises and then also say my next cruise I might be adjusting my dsc bc I can't justify paying an extra $14.

You did say you want people to convince you why the extra is justifiable. I on the other hand would not lessen my tip to my butler and concierge by $7 each or tip them any less amount than I normally do bc I had to pay an extra $14 to the other staff and there are many other members on here that feel the increase is not a big deal and well deserved.

I wouldn't be bragging about how much I paid for my cruises and then also say my next cruise I might be adjusting my dsc bc I can't justify paying an extra $14.

You've completely missed my point. It doesn't matter. i should follow my own rules and not engage. My bad. It transpires that the only people benefiting from the differential for suites is the Norwegian shareholder. The staff they have used to justify this will end up with less.

Edited by andrewjb1

Allow me to clarify..I really could care less who wants to say what, I joined these boards to give and get info 14 years ago. There was a staff meeting in St. Marteen this week. This information came from Senior Staff not just crew. eat your popcorn break out your beers just giving you first hand not hearsay from people. This comes from those not even in the tpiping process.

Best not to respond threads if you have nothing constructive to offer other than sarcasm.

We are in the Garden Villa have always been in the Haven and will continue to do the right thing.

EXCACTLY! No justification is needed. The staff on NCL is wonderful and it's well deserved. If I had to pay dsc of $20 for staying in a suite I wouldn't care. It's well deserved all around.

Not sure if I missed what was said at this meeting but I'm interested to hear. If I missed it please tell me what post # it's in. Thanks!

Harriet

who's thinking the DSC does NOT cover the Butler, etc.

This has been beat to death on the other thread about this. Bottom line, those who normally stiff the staff want to use this as a new excuse to do the same. Those will never allow themselves to be convinced. Everyone else will continue to pay the DSC and tip the suite staff as appropriate.

Exactly!

EXCACTLY! No justification is needed. The staff on NCL is wonderful and it's well deserved. If I had to pay dsc of $20 for staying in a suite I wouldn't care. It's well deserved all around.

ARGHHHHH. But the bloody wonderful staff aren't getting it are they!!!!!!! Its going on the bottom line.

THE STAFF WILL GET LESS OVERALL AS PEOPLE THAT DONT READ THIS SITE WILL BELIEVE THE EMAIL THEY HAVE RECEIVED FROM NORWEGIAN. IT STATES THAT THE DIFFERENTIAL IS FOR THE BUTLER AND CONCIERGE!!! THEY WILL USE IT AS AN EXCUSE TO NOT TIP CASH WITH A CLEAR CONCIOUS !!!

I'll continue to look after everyone but don't feel Norwegian should take any more from me and not give it to the staff! Any adjustment I make down to the level of a normal cabin would immediately be accompanied by a transfer directly to the butler and concierge, on top of what I would normally give them.

Thats fairer and what Norwegian are already saying is happening. WHICH ACCORDING TO THE OP ISNT!!!.

and Breatheeee.

ARGHHHHH. But the bloody wonderful staff aren't getting it are they!!!!!!! Its going on the bottom line.

THE STAFF WILL GET LESS OVERALL AS PEOPLE THAT DONT READ THIS SITE WILL BELIEVE THE EMAIL THEY HAVE RECEIVED FROM NORWEGIAN. IT STATES THAT THE DIFFERENTIAL IS FOR THE BUTLER AND CONCIERGE!!! THEY WILL USE IT AS AN EXCUSE TO NOT TIP CASH WITH A CLEAR CONCIOUS !!!

I'll continue to look after everyone but don't feel Norwegian should take any more from me and not give it to the staff! Any adjustment I make down to the level of a normal cabin would immediately be accompanied by a transfer directly to the butler and concierge, on top of what I would normally give them.

Thats fairer and what Norwegian are already saying is happening. WHICH ACCORDING TO THE OP ISNT!!!.

and Breatheeee.

You are so full of crap! You state assumptions that are not true, to rationalize your disdain of tipping. It is so transparent, so just do what you are going to do and stop stirring the pot here.