Baked Beans! What Do You Think?

RG10203

This is actually pretty silly, but I have to ask if anyone has encountered this and why do you think it is served every morning? I just recently sailed the last 3 day on the Monarch and I was surprised to see baked beans served in the Windjammer every morining for breakfast. I found this to be a little odd as I have never seen baked beans served for breakfast on any of our cruises. I didn't think much of it at first as I like baked beans and actually had some one morning, but many passengers were commenting on the beans and joking about them. The Monarch was outstanding as always and it was a great cruise. Sorry to see her leave the west coast.

Baked beans are not a usual American breakfast item. You won't sea them at IHOP or Denny's.

But elsewhere in the world, they are commonly served in the a.m., as are the baked/grilled tomatoes. RCCL is serving to international guests as well, and trying to provide a breakfast that they can enjoy.

We've enjoyed both the beans and tomatoes at breakfast on our RCCL cruises. Never were there any consequences.

Rick and Deirdra

Many Royal Carribean cruises have beans for breakfast. In fact, an NCL cruise I just took also had the beans for breakfast. As I undertsand it, these beans are a favorite breakfast of passengers from England, along with the broiled tomatos and a type of suasage. The beans are similar to our Hunt's Pork and Beans and not what I would call a classic Boston baked bean style.

I really enjoy the baked beans. I'd never fix myself beans for breakfast at home, but they are a real treat on a ship.

On our 14 night Alaska cruise on the Serenade the Americans were in the minority. We sat one morning with a charming older couple from England and the husband was delighted that they had baked beans and he carefully spread them on his toast, making sure there was not an uncovered spot on the bread! Then he took a bite and smiled with contentment.

I was surprised to see them too but now DH looks forward to having them when we cruise. I don't care for "sweet" beans so it's something we don't normally have at home. One time at the grocery he picked up a can of baked beans and had them for breakfast at home! Just doesn't seem like a breakfast food to me but to each his own!

Baked beans are not a usual American breakfast item. You won't sea them at IHOP or Denny's.

But elsewhere in the world, they are commonly served in the a.m., as are the baked/grilled tomatoes. RCCL is serving to international guests as well, and trying to provide a breakfast that they can enjoy.

We've enjoyed both the beans and tomatoes at breakfast on our RCCL cruises. Never were there any consequences.

Rick and Deirdra

Well put. When in Bali back during the first bombing, we were staying at the Niki and DD was very young and kind of picky about what she ate. Baked Beans were one of her favorite items. Firts few days we blended into the crowd....by the end of our stay we were some of the only folks at the hotel and one of only 2-3 families from the USA.

The Chef saw the DD really liked the baked beans and made sure they were out for her every morning we were there...in fact they really catered to those of us still there by the end of our stay.

It is neat to see how different meals are elsewhere in the world, especially breakfast. Pop Tarts, only in America from what I have seen so far...

If you like them, eat em up and enjoy!!!

YUMO.A great breakfast acompanyment with the mushrooms grilled herbed tomatoes.sausage/bacon,eggs.

Baked Canned Beans are always in our pantry and motorhome.A healthy fast food.

The Yumo Breakfast pictured below with the Baked Beans with Bacon as it should be.

http://redefine.dyndns.org/~andyr/blog/pictures/photo_blog/DSC01096.JPG

Originally posted by campingman

YUMO.A great breakfast acompanyment with the mushrooms grilled herbed tomatoes.sausage/bacon,eggs.

The Yumo Breakfast pictured below with the Baked Beans with Bacon as it should be.

WOW campingman, that looks like an awesome breakfast plate.

Every morning we ate in the MDR and there was a baked tomato on the plate but I thought it was just decoration. Now I wish I had eaten it.

Baked beans for breakfast is not unusual in New England especially among "old Yankee" types. Probably a holdover from their English roots way back. I can remember as a child my grandfather having beans for breakfast and my father making cold baked bean sandwiches which are not nearly as bad tasting as they sound!!! I am now a senior citizen myself, so we are talking quite a few years ago, but the tradition still exists though maybe not as popular as it once was. I saw them on one of our cruises at breakfast and had some...very good with bacon and eggs and they are good for you,too!

A friend of mine is from the UK and he mentioned to me awhile ago that his wife made beans and eggs and he just loves it. Apprarently they fry an egg or two and then put them on a piece of toast and then smother them in baked beans, however the beans they use in the UK are slightly different than here, but I guess its close enough. He actually took a picture of it end e-mailed it to me and it looks kinda good....different but good. I cant find the pix or Id attach it.

We have a wee rhyme here with regard to baked beans-

Beans beans good for the heart, the more you eat, the more you fart :o

We have a little rhyme here too:

Beans, beans, the magical fruit. The more you eat, the more you toot. :D

http://redefine.dyndns.org/~andyr/blog/pictures/photo_blog/DSC01096.JPG

You need to cook those eggs a little longer!!!!!:)

We first saw baked beans for breakfast in the Windjammer last month on the Brilliance. Thought it a bit strange but after seeing the British Bacon (looked like fatty ham to me) and was told that beans were a normal breakfast fare for the Brits it sort of made sense.:confused:

Beans, beans, the musical fruit.........

the more you eat, the more you poot................:D

Aubie

We have a little rhyme here too:

Beans, beans, the magical fruit. The more you eat, the more you toot. :D

The ryhme continues...

The more you toot, the better you feel,

So let's have beans for every meal...

Best beans to have for breakfast are Heinz. They have been loads of ad campaigns for years on UK telly, but I still go with the

Beans, beans are good for your heart,

The more you eat the more you fart,

The more you fart the better you feel,

So eat Heinz beans with every meal.

Now heres a little recipe if you are having a Halloween party.

Spooky soup (copyright to Sarah Kennedy On Radio 2 if any Dawn Patrollers are reading) (apologies to anyone outside the UK who has no idea what this means!!)

Anyway...Spooky Soup

Get a saucepan. Empty in one tin of tomato soup, one tin of oxtail soup and (to make it spooky) one tin of baked beans. Heat and serve.

Simon

PS It was great on the european ships to have proper bacon instead of that thin overcooked stuff...great in sarnies, but no good for a proper brekkie!

Best beans to have for breakfast are Heinz. They have been loads of ad campaigns for years on UK telly, but I still go with the

Beans, beans are good for your heart,

The more you eat the more you fart,

The more you fart the better you feel,

So eat Heinz beans with every meal.

Now heres a little recipe if you are having a Halloween party.

Spooky soup (copyright to Sarah Kennedy On Radio 2 if any Dawn Patrollers are reading) (apologies to anyone outside the UK who has no idea what this means!!)

Anyway...Spooky Soup

Get a saucepan. Empty in one tin of tomato soup, one tin of oxtail soup and (to make it spooky) one tin of baked beans. Heat and serve.

Simon

PS It was great on the european ships to have proper bacon instead of that thin overcooked stuff...great in sarnies, but no good for a proper brekkie!

The, so called. bacon on cruise ships isn't really American Bacon.

It's thin, fatty, and tasteless. Now, if you want "Real" American bacon, try Wrights Extra Thick - Hickory Smoked Bacon. That's the real thing!

p.s. You can find it at Walmart on this side of the pond.

Aubie

We first saw baked beans for breakfast in the Windjammer last month on the Brilliance. Thought it a bit strange but after seeing the British Bacon (looked like fatty ham to me) and was told that beans were a normal breakfast fare for the Brits it sort of made sense.:confused:

Beans, beans, the musical fruit.........

the more you eat, the more you poot................:D

Aubie

What is called British Bacon in the US, in hotels on land as well as onboard,is most certainly not what we call bacon. Our bacon is usually a much more "meatier" slice. What the ship calls British Bacon is what we call Streaky. This is a very cheap bacon and is normally used for placing over or wrapping chicken pieces in, to keep them moist. Some people do prefer Streaky but not many. And as for Baked Beans...ugh

Baked beans are still a popular side dish with breakfast up here in Maine. We have a local truckstop (Dysart's) that is famous for them. My husband and father both love them anytime so they will be very happy to see beans for breakfast.

I, on the other hand, will be very happy that we will be in a GS and I will be able to have the door to the balcony wide open to fumigate the room.:D

Archived