Kids and Beach Holidays

LuCruise

We're going on our first cruise in April and taking our kids who will be 10.5 and 6.5 years. My older one is an ok swimmer (but he's used to a pool as opposed to the ocean). My younger one doesn't swim on her own yet.

My question is...do you bring a life preserver or something for safety in the water (either ship pool or beach). I've seen some mention puddle jumpers but my DD is at weight maximum now for them and I'm sure she'll grow even more by then (she's very tall(

Edited by LuCruise

I'm married to a guy who has watched every shark documentary produced.

We are no longer allowed to *swim* or go past knee depth:eek:

My kids don't love the ocean (for swimming).

They swim on the ship. At the beach, they make sand castles and search for shells. They will go in the ocean for a bit, to cool off, but they don't really swim (and they are both proficient swimmers).

Maybe consider swimming lessons between now and April? I'm not a fan of the flotation devices as they teach false confidence (IMHO). Kids have to know how to swim and at 6 1/2 I think you are approaching that age where fear will start to set in. Take it from someone who was 10 before her parents put her in swimming lessons.

Thanks for the reply. My daughter takes swimming lessons and she's currently in a private session now to try and give her that extra boost. She finally put her head under and likes the water, but it'll be awhile before she can swim on her own. I agree that flotation devices shouldn't be used regularly, but for safety on a cruise, especially the beach, I'm thinking of picking up something. I'm just nit sure what.

Few actually "swim" in the ocean....you'll float on a raft, or play in the surf.....it's very difficult to "swim" in moving water.

Most of the Caribbean beaches are quite calm...perfect for playing at water's edge....and of course, you'll be right there with them, right? I doubt children that age require water wings!

As far as swimming skills go, for the fastest way to teach kids, put them on a swim team...they will be swimming like fishes in no time!!!

Few actually "swim" in the ocean....you'll float on a raft, or play in the surf.....it's very difficult to "swim" in moving water.

Most of the Caribbean beaches are quite calm...perfect for playing at water's edge....and of course, you'll be right there with them, right? I doubt children that age require water wings!

As far as swimming skills go, for the fastest way to teach kids, put them on a swim team...they will be swimming like fishes in no time!!!

Yes true...didn't really mean "laps" in the ocean, but just playing around. I'm thinking I'll still feel better if my little one (well, my little tall one...lol) has something. DH or I will of course be right there, but you never know. Even my DS I'll get nervous if he goes out a bit with any waves.

Thanks for the advice of the swim team, but I imagine you'd need to swim on your own first....which she's not there yet .

I'm glad you have her in swim lessons - that's exactly the right thing to do. I would also suggest that you (and all family cruisers) check the life preservers in your room. They don't always put child life preservers in the room or enough if there are more than 2 people, and you should contact the steward immediately if there aren't child ones or enough in your room when you embark.

Keep in mind, ships' pools often don't have a shallow end (accessed via ladder rather than stairs), which can be challenging for beginning swimmers. When the ship is in motion, the movement in the pool can be pretty rough and they can't put their feet to the bottom. My girls are good swimmers, but one of them got spooked on the last cruise because she was being tossed around in the pool too much and couldn't easily get to the side.

For the ocean, my girls wore life jackets until they were strong swimmers. They're bulky to pack, but lightweight at least.

Best,

Mia

Thanks for the warning about the room life jackets. I wouldn't have even thought of that (and hopefully nothing we would actually need as those would be for emergency).

Mia, good point that a ship's pool can be different too from a regular pool. Thanks for the feedback that you did get life jackets. I think I'll look into getting one, even if its just for this trip. Better to be safe than sorry.

Puddle jumpers are awesome! It's bulky to pack but we always do. They are good up to 50 lbs.

Yeah...i've noticed people mention them and they look great. But my daughter is very tall and long. She's about 50lbs now so in six months she'll be over the weight.

I've noticed a few kids life jackets on amazon but its hard to tell online if they'd be good for her.

This is my first cruise with kids, but we love beach vacations. We camped for a week this Spring at Assateague National Sea shore, and went to Pensacola Beach and Hunting Island state park (SC) on our way back from Texas.

My older kids (8,8,10) are all strong swimmers, still in the ocean with waves, I am much more comfortable with them wearing life jackets when playing and swimming. They like to actually swim in the wave (over there head). [Debating if we bring them along with the wetsuites (see other thread) on the cruise].

I always stay close to them when they are in the ocean, just in case.

The risk of a shark attack is minimal (far more risk from drowning), so I don't worry about that when swimming. I actually saw a shark on the Beach once in Texas, it was cool (although it did freak out my 2 boys, but my daughter didn't mind).

Joey

Yikes, how scary with the sharks. I definitely would freak out myself. :eek:

Yes, we would stay close to our kids too (2 kids and 2 of us so it works). Good point with the waves, maybe even our older one should have one. We really haven't done beach holidays aside from the Disney cruise a few years ago, so ocean water would be very different.

That's great that you've had opportunities to take these kind of vacations. We really look forward to our cruise (well, our kids don't know yet, but they will look forward to it once we tell them)

For my two year old I packed a blow up floating ring, that I purchased at our local dollar store. She used it in both the pool and in the ocean. She would like her way up and down the beach, with me right along side her. The best part was she wore herself OUT. She was fast asleep as soon as we boared the tender to head back to the ship.

Many of the other kida had similar floating items in the pool.

For my two year old I packed a blow up floating ring, that I purchased at our local dollar store. She used it in both the pool and in the ocean. She would like her way up and down the beach, with me right along side her. The best part was she wore herself OUT. She was fast asleep as soon as we boared the tender to head back to the ship.

Many of the other kida had similar floating items in the pool.

I'm kicking myself cause back in the summer I noticed many great beach floats at the dollar store. But now that it is fall/winter (and cold where I am), they laughed when I asked if they had anymore. Should have picked up then. Sounds like you got great use of it (and how cute she wore herself out).

Edited by LuCruise

I picked up some rings for us at Dollarama, as they have now disappeared from the Dollar stores, and since we are leaving in February from Baltimore, I don't think they would have any on the way to the port.

Are there any Dollar stores near Port Canaveral? As that is our first port of call.

Joey

I picked up some rings for us at Dollarama, as they have now disappeared from the Dollar stores, and since we are leaving in February from Baltimore, I don't think they would have any on the way to the port.

Are there any Dollar stores near Port Canaveral? As that is our first port of call.

Joey

Not sure if they is a dollar store near Port Canaveral, try Walmart or Target online, they have lots of summer items on clearance right now.

Thanks for the warning about the room life jackets. I wouldn't have even thought of that (and hopefully nothing we would actually need as those would be for emergency).

Mia, good point that a ship's pool can be different too from a regular pool. Thanks for the feedback that you did get life jackets. I think I'll look into getting one, even if its just for this trip. Better to be safe than sorry.

I don't believe you are allowed to use the emergency life jackets that are in the rooms to swim in the pool. They are for emergency use only. You could either bring your own life jackets or bring arm floaties, small blow up tube for the kiddos.

I don't believe you are allowed to use the emergency life jackets that are in the rooms to swim in the pool. They are for emergency use only. You could either bring your own life jackets or bring arm floaties, small blow up tube for the kiddos.

Of course. I meant purchasing our own life jacket or blow up water toys.

This may be a silly question...

Having read this thread I googled "puddle jumpers" I've seen them before but I have always called them "drifties" anyhow; my question is do they actually keep the kid above water? I am thinking perhaps ordering on for my now 3 year old daughter. In the past we used the blow up floating ring, she is VERY stubborn and has a fit about me holding on to the ring as she wants to be independent like her big brother. So if a puddle jumper will hold her above the water it will be a win-win for the both of us, granted I am going to be inches away from her in the water at all times.

do your research on this forum about the ports you are going to. alot of the beaches have extreamely calm waters and no undertow. usually in a cove on the carribean side- others have harder waves. I would try to find one of the calm ones. we bought inflateable rafts by swimways- you only have to inflate the outer ring and they come in a bag. its not a life jacket but are light and eas to blow up. they have kids and adult sizes. i saw this inflatable vest too. up to 8yr olds - i dont know how good they are http://www.ebay.com/itm/Children-Kids-Swimming-Aid-Inflatable-Floating-Life-Jacket-Vest-Cartoon-S-Unique-/271930344524

My daughters, 6 and 10, still like to wear swim vests sometimes in the ocean. It's not a sign of weakness or anything, just gives them a little security and they can bob around and have fun easier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP here. We're from Canada and just did a little trip over the weekend at a waterpark and in the States. Our kids loved the waterpark (and it let them get used to "waves" in the wavepool). I did have my younger one wear a life jacket that the waterpark provided just to be safe (lots of kids in the water and waves were big in spots). Also, we did some Target shopping and I saw a life jacket/vest for 50-90lbs on clearance so we picked it up. We weren't going to show it to her since our kids don't know about the trip, but she saw it at home when unpacking and wanted to try it on. Not sure how it would fit someone at 90lbs as it just fits her at 50lbs but I think it will do the job for that extra comfort at the beach.

Edited by LuCruise