dress up

If this is the formal dining venue, then jackets SHOULD be required. Will they uphold that? We shall see.

I am guessing that they will have to. The only reason I don't want to book it is because I think it will be strictly formal. I don't think it will be like MDR where there are always a bunch of people who are pretty casual. I am thinking it will be a smaller venue and you will stick out if you are not formal.

If this is the formal dining venue, then jackets SHOULD be required. Will they uphold that? We shall see.

They need to enforce the formal wear from day 1 and not make any exceptions. That way the word will get out and people will not try to get around it.

One thing I noticed is that it is one of only a handful of restaurants that lists that a kids menu will be available. Will younger boys need jackets then as well? My experiences to date have been on Disney cruises, where the formal restaurants (Palo and Remy) are adults only, so I'm interested in hearing what the kid experience will be like in Grande. We are thinking of dining at Grande for Christmas dinner.

I was surprised that it listed a children's menu, but since it is only of only four complimentary "main" dining rooms, I guess they have to make it kid-welcoming.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by mikat77

Formal is not just wearing a jacket. Is it anyone's expectation that it will be tux or dark suit only.

I'd guess dark suit and tie as minimum - but that might be too restrictive. You'd think people who go on this cruise can manage that - but I've been surprised on formal nights in the past. But then again, on Quantum people who can't meet the attire just won't dine there or will rent something on the ship.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That is pretty weak, I'd like to see them at least require a jacket. Shirt and tie no jacket you just look like a used car salesmen or an awkward high school student not formal at all.

I agree. I don't plan on taking my tux on my sailing, but I do think that they need to enforce formal to at least be a jacket. I do think that they should go further and enforce a suit or a Tux. If, the whole idea is elegance, why not make it that way.

That is pretty weak, I'd like to see them at least require a jacket. Shirt and tie no jacket you just look like a used car salesmen or an awkward high school student not formal at all.

So a sportscoat makes it formal? Everyone wants to redefine formal to what they want to wear.

So a sportscoat makes it formal? Everyone wants to redefine formal to what they want to wear.

No it doesn't. Formal is black tie, but we all know that will never ever happen. I said I'd like to at least see them require a jacket. I'd be wearing a dark suit minimum for dinner at the grande no matter what is technically required.

Edited by thatoneguyyouknow

I made my dining reservations today and was told that a shirt and tie would be formal enough for my husband.

Hmm, that is even less than the formal dress code examples in the current literature. Seems a bit worthless to designate a restaurant "formal" and then start with such a relaxed dress code.

M

My "redefined Formal": Body painted shirt and jacket with a real tie. Problem is, the "shirt and jacket" might look a bit "wrinkled." :)

It's likely that people will certainly "press" the dress code in Grande. I would support the formal definition on line..."suits and ties or tuxedos." If someone wants to go casual, it's not like there won't be lots of options. Seems that this resolves the whole debate between those who like formal night and those who don't. If you like it, wear it and go to Grande. If you don't go to one of the other many options.

I made my dining reservations today and was told that a shirt and tie would be formal enough for my husband.

If that is going to be the dress code for this venue, then I really would not really consider it a "formal" venue.

Has anyone spoken to a Dynamic Dining representative about how "formal" it will be yet? Just curious because I'm ok with wearing a formal dress. Just wondering how formal it will be for the men; jackets will suffice or do they have to wear a tie too? I know my cruise friends want to eat in the Grande at least one night but don't want to do the really formal thing. Let me know what you found out from the Rep please. Thanks!

It is odd that Americans - and perhaps others too - find it so painful to dress formally on special occasions. So little effort is required for the resulting pleasure. It is not about being snobs, it is about enriching our lives with variety by identifying events as casual, casual dressy, or formal. It is for visual and aesthetic enhancement. Enforcement of formal wear is a necessity if it is to work; otherwise, many will voluntarily opt out for reasons of inconvenience, comfort, or just laziness. However, enforcement is difficult because many people are so easily offended if told that their clothes are not appropriate for the occasion. The answer might be for staff to have a selection of appropriate formal clothes in various sizes readily available, with the simple comment "perhaps you would feel more comfortable in this dress/suit/tuxedo because tonight is a designated formal event." :eek: ;)

Has anyone spoken to a Dynamic Dining representative about how "formal" it will be yet? Just curious because I'm ok with wearing a formal dress. Just wondering how formal it will be for the men; jackets will suffice or do they have to wear a tie too? I know my cruise friends want to eat in the Grande at least one night but don't want to do the really formal thing. Let me know what you found out from the Rep please. Thanks!

I spoke to two different reps about dining in the Grande. They both said the same thing, the dress code will be the same as formal night on any other ship. You can wear a tux if you want but dress code will be enforced (or not) as it is on any other ship.