dress up

I spoke to two different reps about dining in the Grande. They both said the same thing, the dress code will be the same as formal night on any other ship. You can wear a tux if you want but dress code will be enforced (or not) as it is on any other ship.

Thanks for the update.

It is odd that Americans - and perhaps others too - find it so painful to dress formally on special occasions. So little effort is required for the resulting pleasure. It is not about being snobs, it is about enriching our lives with variety by identifying events as casual, casual dressy, or formal. It is for visual and aesthetic enhancement. Enforcement of formal wear is a necessity if it is to work; otherwise, many will voluntarily opt out for reasons of inconvenience, comfort, or just laziness. However, enforcement is difficult because many people are so easily offended if told that their clothes are not appropriate for the occasion. The answer might be for staff to have a selection of appropriate formal clothes in various sizes readily available, with the simple comment "perhaps you would feel more comfortable in this dress/suit/tuxedo because tonight is a designated formal event." :eek: ;)

Well put (and I'm an American). Formal has been a constant divisive point on CC. It's the old "it's my cruise I should be able to dress as I want" attitude. Now they have made it easy. One restaurant is Formal. If you want to go, dress in Formal. All the others are casual or Smart Casual (which is really the old casual). So those who don't like Formal got their wish. Many would say "why not just have one formal restaurant so those who want to dress up can?" So they did it. Now people are already (and the ship isn't built yet) whining about "gee I want to eat in Grande, and don't want to dress in Formal, so why can't I, it's my cruise I should be able to do what I want." The answer is simple, it's FORMAL! If you want to eat in it, put on a coat and tie and dress accordingly (no one is saying Tux). If you don't want to dress accordingly, then go eat in one of the other 10 or so venues. It's simple. YOU GOT WHAT YOU ASKED FOR, a Totally Formal Restaurant. Why the question or complaint?

• 1 month later...

The Grande - Dynamic Dining Restaurant

The Grande will be the most formal of the five 'main' restaurants and it will have an elegant, more traditional feel to it, much like you would have found on the cruise ships of yesteryear.

Each night will be formal night, giving you the chance to choose when you get dressed up.....

No mention of "maybe you can wear a sports jacket"

So, Let the ones who want to feel special by dressing up in their formal outfits do just that..if you dont want to dress up..go somewhere else..dont spoil it for the ones that do.

Edited by jannandjohn

This snippet came directly from the Royal Caribbean Cruise Planner while I was booking my own "Grande" dining...

WHAT TO WEAR

Cocktail dresses, gowns or dressy pantsuits are appropriate for women.

A jacket is required for men, along with pants (with no holes, rips or tears) and a sports shirt (must have sleeves) or sweater.

Swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps and pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurants or specialty restaurants at any time.

The Grande - Dynamic Dining Restaurant

The Grande will be the most formal of the five 'main' restaurants and it will have an elegant, more traditional feel to it, much like you would have found on the cruise ships of yesteryear.

Each night will be formal night, giving you the chance to choose when you get dressed up.....

No mention of "maybe you can wear a sports jacket"

So, Let the ones who want to feel special by dressing up in their formal outfits do just that..if you dont want to dress up..go somewhere else..dont spoil it for the ones that do.

This is what I was looking forward to for Grande but the "what to wear" description on the website when you make your reservation, to me, isn't "formal wear" for men.

This snippet came directly from the Royal Caribbean Cruise Planner while I was booking my own "Grande" dining...

WHAT TO WEAR

Cocktail dresses, gowns or dressy pantsuits are appropriate for women.

A jacket is required for men, along with pants (with no holes, rips or tears) and a sports shirt (must have sleeves) or sweater.

Swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps and pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurants or specialty restaurants at any time.

Thanks for sharing this. I was surprised to see that it doesn't say a Jacket and tie for men. To me, a Jacket and sportshirt is Smart Casual, nor Formal. :confused:

Edited by suzyluvs2cruise

I don't mind the "just a jacket" requirement for men but I would like to see it enforced. I know DH will be more willing to go to Grande not having to wear a tie. But if this dress code is not enforced -- what's the point? BTW, I do like the menu.

Guest maddycat
I am guessing that they will have to. The only reason I don't want to book it is because I think it will be strictly formal. I don't think it will be like MDR where there are always a bunch of people who are pretty casual. I am thinking it will be a smaller venue and you will stick out if you are not formal.

That is exactly what I thought. Since it is the only restaurant that will be formal, they will probably enforce the dresss code.........dark suit or tux for men.

I didn't make a reservation at the Grande because of that. We're very happy that there are so many other restaurants that are casual every night.

I don't mind the "just a jacket" requirement for men but I would like to see it enforced. I know DH will be more willing to go to Grande not having to wear a tie. But if this dress code is not enforced -- what's the point? BTW, I do like the menu.

If we go with your suggestion, then Grande is not formal. However, you want your version of formal, or really country club casual, enforced. This is the craziest thread I've ever seen.

If we go with your suggestion, then Grande is not formal. However, you want your version of formal, or really country club casual, enforced. This is the craziest thread I've ever seen.

Not my version of anything. I just said I was ok with it. (If RCI wants to make Grande black tie, I would be ok with that as well.)

When I booked dinners for our Quantum trip in January I did book 3 dinners for Grande. During this process the "dress code" for Grande states that men must wear a jacket. No mention of dark suit or tux. I believe it even says jacket with "sports shirt". My point is that whatever RCI's definition of formal is for Grande -- enforce it since there are so many other choices for dinner for people who don't wish to be "formal".

When I booked dinners for our Quantum trip in January I did book 3 dinners for Grande. .

What's this about booking dinners 6 months in advance? I'm an RCI virgin & usually just wander in to my cruise ship dinner when I feel like it. If one has to book 6 months or more ahead I think I'll go back to Thomson!:eek::eek::eek:

Yes, I think that is strange too. My thoughts were to get something close to what we usually like (late seating). I was only partway successful. But we are booked without going to a fee restaurant like Chops. With Quantum pricing I hope we can avoid that. If the food is truly better than what is in the main dining room now, then it will be worth it.

• 1 month later...

Speaking of formal - DH would like to rent a tux (yes, we are taking formal to read 'black tie', or close to it, and it's our only opportunity to dress up and we enjoy it). He's rented on Royal Caribbean on the Oasis and the Allure and had good luck with the quality, sizing and service. However, the tuxedo website for Royal Caribbean doesn't have the Quantum listed as an option, and an email I sent to the address on their website 'tuxedos@rccl.com' bounced back undeliverable. There's a phone number on the website but I keep forgetting to call until it's late at night or the weekend.

Does anyone have any info about this? Is it possibly just too early out to begin placing orders so they haven't added the Quantum yet? We are considering purchasing a tux for him, but he'd only wear it once every 1-2 yrs, and we prefer not to schlep it when flying for other cruises.

Has anyone spoken to a Dynamic Dining representative about how "formal" it will be yet? Just curious because I'm ok with wearing a formal dress. Just wondering how formal it will be for the men; jackets will suffice or do they have to wear a tie too? I know my cruise friends want to eat in the Grande at least one night but don't want to do the really formal thing. Let me know what you found out from the Rep please. Thanks!

I was told by 3 different reps that the Grande is formal except on the first night. They usually relax the rules on the first night because of the luggage issues. I was told the other nights men are required to wear jackets (I really don't consider that formal either since we cruised when formal wear was suits and long dresses)

I do not think the dress code will be enforced anymore than it is on any other ship. I have seen jeans and t-shirts on formal nights and nobody is turned away.

Edited by carsaw

I think RCL will have to be a little flexible on this sailings dress code. Many of us will be travelling in Europe by trains and planes previous to the sailing and will not want to be dragging all of the formal attire around for 2 weeks. I was only able to get most of my dinner reservations in "The Grande" so how on earth can I carry all of these gowns, shoes, etc. I would prefer to eat other venues, but not available at this time. Let's don't forget all of the extra luggage fees that airlines charge now.

Understand the luggage costs and land travel pre-cruise but have found that we can do formal with one 27" suitcase and small carryon each and have done this on recent cruises, up to 31 days, that included train travel between Paris and London. No gowns needed. I bring one pair of lightweight black pants and a couple of lightweight sparkly tops and DH brings a black suit that he can dress up with a formal shirt, cummerbund or vest and bow tie or dress shirt and tie.

RCI has promoted Grande as being a formal restaurant and I hope they keep it that way.

I think RCL will have to be a little flexible on this sailings dress code. Many of us will be travelling in Europe by trains and planes previous to the sailing and will not want to be dragging all of the formal attire around for 2 weeks. I was only able to get most of my dinner reservations in "The Grande" so how on earth can I carry all of these gowns, shoes, etc. I would prefer to eat other venues, but not available at this time. Let's don't forget all of the extra luggage fees that airlines charge now.

Keep checking. I couldn't get some times when I first booked, but I looked today and several more time slots were open. I was able to switch to better times on a couple of nights.

I would like to eat at Grande but I just don't think I want to manage all the extra clothes for 5 people just to eat dinner.

We are considering purchasing a tux for him, but he'd only wear it once every 1-2 yrs, and we prefer not to schlep it when flying for other cruises.

Buy the tux. Although I don't tend to preach to others about how one should dress (it's entirely up to one's self), there is a certain level(s) of reservation(s) associated with a man in a well-fitting tuxedo. (I must admit to being a critic of the devolution of formal dress by men, ahla the "formal bowling shirt & khaki pants" passing as one's "nice clothes.") There are several stores that carry affordable and basic tuxedos (ranging from $99 and up). As for traveling, purchase an inexpensive garment bag from Amazon or eBay. It will serve as a suitable container for formal clothes (including dresses), shoes, accessories, and whatever else. My wife and I usually fill the pockets with tee shirts and underwear. Lastly, the tux you buy will fit better than a rental, and the pictures will be worth the money and effort!!!

Or just remember this picture.....79f3f00a22884413b04f5492fec580ac6441e108c06b405c2a18715a06061b07.jpg

Edited by mbjboyle

Buy the tux. Although I don't tend to preach to others about how one should dress (it's entirely up to one's self), there is a certain level(s) of reservation(s) associated with a man in a well-fitting tuxedo. (I must admit to being a critic of the devolution of formal dress by men, ahla the "formal bowling shirt & khaki pants" passing as one's "nice clothes.") There are several stores that carry affordable and basic tuxedos (ranging from $99 and up). As for traveling, purchase an inexpensive garment bag from Amazon or eBay. It will serve as a suitable container for formal clothes (including dresses), shoes, accessories, and whatever else. My wife and I usually fill the pockets with tee shirts and underwear. Lastly, the tux you buy will fit better than a rental, and the pictures will be worth the money and effort!!!

Or just remember this picture.....79f3f00a22884413b04f5492fec580ac6441e108c06b405c2a18715a06061b07.jpg

I like your advice; it's something we've been considering and will likely go ahead and purchase a tuxedo for DH. Although we've been lucky in the past with the rentals being fitted properly (he always gets measured at the local Tuxedo rental shop to provide for the Royal Caribbean tuxedos), we've seen some really bad fittings.

When he brings a suit he often sends it out for pressing as soon as we unpack, so it really wouldn't matter if his tux or his suit wrinkled. But we can use this as an excuse to purchase the new garment bag we've been eyeing!

Thanks for that image but a well-cut suit on a man does NOT compare to a bikini on a woman...at least not mine! :p

We'll be very disappointed if people don't dress up for the Grande Restaurant and/or the staff doesn't require some semblance of formal dress. I can understand the 'it's my vacation' mentality for traditional dining to not want to dress up, but now there are so many other choices; if you want formal night go to Grande, if you don't then don't!

We'll be very disappointed if people don't dress up for the Grande Restaurant and/or the staff doesn't require some semblance of formal dress. I can understand the 'it's my vacation' mentality for traditional dining to not want to dress up, but now there are so many other choices; if you want formal night go to Grande, if you don't then don't!

I know that I'll be wearing my tux!!! Also, my wife and I are going to dress up in some sort of Mad-Hatter-Haute-Inspired costume (but not over the top, by any means) for Wonderland.... should be fun!!!:)

Edited by mbjboyle