bathing a 3yo? blow up tub or wipes?

ae2009

So I am taking our 3yo daughter on a cruise in November. My daughter only takes tub baths at home. She does not do showers very well at all. She doesn't like the water hitting her in the face or head area. We have a blow up duck that we have never used (it was given to us as a baby shower gift). Should we bring the blow up duck or just buy the Johnson and Johnson Head to Toe Washcloths and just wipe her down daily?

We will be on the Carnival Fantasy if that helps with size of the shower for the duck.

Any advice or tips welcomed.

Also a note to add...I am perfectly fine with not washing her hair for 5 days. I can scrub it really good before we leave and really good once we get home.

The duck worked great for my baths-only daughter, and was easy to deal with on board. I have also sat (or stood) her in the shower and just used a plastic cup and washcloth to wash/rinse her with water from the sink. Since the bathrooms are so teeny, this is pretty easy.

Best,

Mia

We brought the blow-up duck tub when we brought our 10 month old granddaughter on a cruise with us several years ago, and it work great! Blew it up once onboard, and left it blown up in shower through the day. But will your 3 year old fit in the duck tub? If so, bring it. It is easy to pack.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I would still try the shower. The shower head is usually able to be handheld, and you can adjust the flow volume so there is no being sprayed in the face/head. Just a warm gentle waterfall of bathing goodness. A totally different experience from the typical fixed shower head spraying from way above. Use the wipes/washcloths as a back up plan, and if all goes well bring them home.

Since a 3 year old is too big for the "blow up" tubs, I would start getting her used to the handheld shower head! I'm an adult and will NOT take a shower if the shower head is above my head...I don't like that at all, either!

I don't think "wipes" for a week is a good idea. Or, if it's in your budget, get a suite with a tub!

Edited by cb at sea

Since a 3 year old is too big for the "blow up" tubs, I would start getting her used to the handheld shower head! I'm an adult and will NOT take a shower if the shower head is above my head...I don't like that at all, either!

I don't think "wipes" for a week is a good idea. Or, if it's in your budget, get a suite with a tub!

What do you do if you get caught in the rain ? Im just curious , not trying to be rude.

We went on two cruises one when DD was 13 months and one when she was 15 months. We took the blow up tub on Carnival when she was 13 months and I decided not to bring it on the next. We did use it for baths as my daughter also does not tolerate showers. It did work well but staterooms are not that big and it ended up just getting in the way. On the next cruise I put her on the bottom of the shower and used the head to rinse her and enough water collected in the bottom that I could use a cup to rinse her hair.

So in all honesty the duck tub DOES work but its so much easier and convenient to use what you have at your disposal. There is so much to pack for a toddler as is that I think its best to take what is absolutely necessary!

I agree with you...I don't like showers either and the reason I usually book a JS is for the tub....The few times we have had to book a balcony...thank goodness there was a handheld shower head...

If she'll fit in the tub then I'd take that (and/or persevere with showering). I wouldn't be happy with just washing with a cloth myself so wouldn't want my daughter to have to do that for a week and you can't wash hair that way. If she's playing in sand etc you need a good wash afterward to get rid of it all! [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'd also persevere with the shower. Taking your daughter in the shower with either you or her dad could help. All our little ones have grown used to the shower by being held in the arms of a parent. After a while, they were willing to stand on the floor beside the parent and, eventually, would go in there alone. It usually isn't difficult to adjust the shower head so that it doesn't pour water on the child's head.

The shower heads on the Carnival ships are on an adjustable bar that can slide way way down - probably to 3' about the floor. I put it lower so that I could hold my son in my arms and the water would rain on his back. But, I will also say I am not a parent that worries if he gets upset about stuff like that - good life lesson in adaptation. Never underestimate learning adaptability young! If however you are a parent that is going to get upset if the child does then I would go with other posters suggestions.

Our child who would only take baths LOVED showers on cruises because he could hold the shower head in his hand. We couldn't get him out of there so you may be surprised.

If that doesn't work then I would take her in with you and just do your best with a face cloth.

My 3yo doesn't like regular showers, but she does not mind using the handheld shower that we have at home. It's basically the same that's available on the cruise shower. I was able to sit on the toilet seat and shower her on our July cruise and she did just fine. Washing the hair's always a bit of a pain, but that's all the time - not just cruising :)

My DD prob would be pretty squished in the duck, but I also know it doesn't take much room to pack - so give it a shot if that makes you feel most comfortable! You'll want to shower her instead of wiping down - the salt, sweat, sunblock and sand can get pretty gross feeling :)

Our child who would only take baths LOVED showers on cruises because he could hold the shower head in his hand. We couldn't get him out of there so you may be surprised.

If that doesn't work then I would take her in with you and just do your best with a face cloth.

This was my experience with odd. She'd play in there for an hour if allowed. You can wash her hair and body with the hand held. Odd hated showers at that age but no issues on the ship!

My four year-olds are the same way, letting them hold the shower handheld works better, but sometimes there are a few tears to get them clean. The wipes work for not too dirty but with face painting in the kids club sometimes the have to suffer the shower.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My son was a shower kid. At that age, when we didn't have time for a bath, I'd hold his hand and shower him quickly. Not a problem for him. You could always get in there with her and gently use a cup to spill water over her. That way, it won't be too scary and should work for quick clean up.